PDA

View Full Version : New bags for boil-in-bag cooking

SGT Rock
08-20-2010, 17:44
Has any of the boil-in-bag cooking crowd tried these:

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/ZipSteamMicrowaveCookingBags.aspx?SizeName=Medium

I just bought a bag of 10 to play with. They don't soften up like regular zip locks - they appear to be made of the same plastic that some freeze dried meals come in. They only weigh 7 grams a bag. I'm thinking of re-packaging some meals into these for hikes.

Any thoughts?

shoe
08-20-2010, 18:32
Aren't those the bag that have tiny venys in them for the steaming...Not sure if they would work for pouring boiling water in.

let us know how thy work...i have a ton of them I got for dirt cheap with my coupons.

Stir Fry
08-20-2010, 18:36
Used them this spring. Work fine but for the extra $ they cost not worth it IMO. I''ll stay with regular freezer bags cheeper and work just as good.

SGT Rock
08-20-2010, 19:30
I saw about the venting, apparently it only does this under pressure from inside - maybe a seam lets go a little? I put some air into one and it seemed air tight.

Country Roads
08-21-2010, 18:46
They work pretty well and are made for steaming, so they handle boiling water well. They seal well, but gotta keep them upright or water will leak out the vents. I actually like the Glad Steamer bags better, since they have a bellowed bottom and will sit upright, but still have to be careful about the steam vents.

Freezer bags are way cheaper and a little lighter.