PDA

View Full Version : food bag

stunt man
08-22-2010, 00:14
just curious what size bag you use for your food for a typical thru hike. i have decided not to use the one i have so im shopping for one now and not 100% sure what size i should get

SGT Rock
08-22-2010, 00:22
10x21 Sil-nylon bag.

Mountain Wildman
08-22-2010, 01:02
8 X 16 5/8 - 15 Liter, Outdoor Reasearch Graphic Dry Sack - 2.5 oz.
6.5 X 18 - 8 Liter, Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack - 1.1 oz.
The 15 Liter is my main food bag and the 8 Liter is extra for food, laundry, trash and for hanging items with scents like toiletries etc... I prefer storing dirty clothes and toiletries in a separate bag and not in my main food bag. It's only 1.1 oz. so it's not a big deal for me.

BrianLe
08-22-2010, 01:55
"just curious what size bag you use for your food for a typical thru hike. "

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a typical thru-hike. If you're talking about the AT, however, I liked the Ursack Minor this year, a nice choice IMO if you're staying in shelters much and you like to have the odd midnight snack. But any simple sack should do, and this is a dead simple thing to fix if you change your mind on what you like to carry, multiple outfitters along the way to purchase something.

My hiking partners really liked having units that had large zippers on them so they could access most of their food all at once, rather than having to dig through and empty the bag to get at what is inevitably on the bottom when you want it. I don't recall the brand but these came in at least a couple of sizes and at least one outfitter along the way this year carried these.

TheCheek
08-22-2010, 08:27
Sil nylon with a large waterlocked zipper and a good handle for hanging.

Spokes
08-22-2010, 08:42
14-15L sil-nylon bag.

BTW, you use to be able to find sil-nylon bags with a small strip of webbing sewn across the bottom to hang the bag upside down. Hardly any have them anymore.

SGT Rock
08-22-2010, 09:11
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/EQ1000

These have the back strap. The largest one is a good food bag. I used one for years.

leaftye
08-22-2010, 10:54
650 cubic inches. At least.

ChinMusic
08-22-2010, 11:01
I prefer two smaller food bags to one larger food bag. I find it easier to pack and easier to get to my food. One bag is mostly snacks/breakfast while the other bag is mostly for evening meals. I can pack the second bag deeper since I don't need access to it while hiking.

Country Roads
08-22-2010, 13:00
I use one of the roll top bags from outdoor products. You can buy a 3 piece set from Walmart, but only the larger green one has a rounded bottom.
I use it and then use a smaller Silnylon for "day stuff".
THe green bag will most generally hold about 3 days of food with the smaller one holding the overflow.

Most thrus seem to use the 10 x 21 silnylon.

Kerosene
08-22-2010, 15:08
I purchased the "thicker-skinned" rectangular Blast Cuben fiber stuffsack from zPacks.com (http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/stuff_sacks.shtml), dimensions of 11" wide by 5.5" deep by 12" tall, $20.95. Supposed to be strong enough to keep a mouse from gnawing through, and it weighs only 0.85 ounces.

innermountain
08-22-2010, 16:57
500-700 cubic inches

10-K
08-22-2010, 19:13
I use a big mesh bag with a draw string on top. I hate digging through a food bag and ultimately having to dump everything out just to find what I'm looking for. Put it in a trashbag if it rains.

stunt man
08-22-2010, 19:44
thanks i really appreciate all the input!

STICK
08-22-2010, 23:57
Some may say it is overkill, but I like using the Outsak UL and simply lining it with a large (1 gallon) Ziploc bag. The Outsak is a stainless steel mesh bag with a heavy duty hook and loop closure device across the top. This thing will keep any small rodents out asn I believe that there are even videos of deers trying to break in to them without success. They are not bear proof, but they do not claim to be. This is where hanging your bag properly comes into play.

I have a large Outsak that I carry for use with multiple people and an UL Outsak that I carry for solo use. I have managed to fit as much as 3 days of food for 2 inside the 630 + cu in UL Outsak, but that was pushing it. The Ul version weighs 4.1 oz. They also sell a micro UL which weighs less. Also, if you call they will custom make one for you. (I believe.)

Anyway, this way, I carry my food in Ziplocs inside my pack so it is not in one large bag, and then when I hang it it all goes inside the Outsak.

Here is the site if anyone is interested:

http://www.simpleoutdoorstore.com/outsak.html

cevans
08-23-2010, 13:00
large ursack, weight is about 8 oz, but very rodent proof, I won't put stock in the fact its supposed to be bear proof.