PDA

View Full Version : Arc'terx Altra 70?? Any body have...

nawlunz
08-22-2010, 15:23
any experience with that pack? I am planning for the JMT and just a little curious as to whether the 5 lbs is considered acceptable weight..trying to keep my base weight down, and also looking at the Gossamer G4 ultralite.

But, the Arc'teryx has gotten great reviews...

nawlunz
08-22-2010, 15:41
any experience with that pack? I am planning for the JMT and just a little curious as to whether the 5 lbs is considered acceptable weight..trying to keep my base weight down, and also looking at the Gossamer G4 ultralite.

But, the Arc'teryx has gotten great reviews...

I want a large capacity pack for the JMT, but trying to keep weight down.

mieos
08-22-2010, 18:48
I had this pack for a bit and ended up returning it. The problem I had was with with the hip belt, and specifically there was nothing too keep it from sliding down. The entire trip I was constantly readjusting the belt trying to keep the weight of the pack (granted it was pretty heavy) off my shoulders. The rest of the pack was great. I liked the design, it will carry everything including the kitchen sink and ice box; I just could not deal with the hip belt.

Blue Jay
08-24-2010, 08:51
I have the 80 and I really like it. The best part is everything is dry no matter what. Hiked in downpours many many times not a drop got to anything inside. I could never understand hiking with a pack that sucks water.

nawlunz
08-24-2010, 09:52
I have the 80 and I really like it. The best part is everything is dry no matter what. Hiked in downpours many many times not a drop got to anything inside. I could never understand hiking with a pack that sucks water.

no problems thus far? At 6 lbs, I thought a bit heavy for a long trek.

Blue Jay
08-24-2010, 13:39
no problems thus far? At 6 lbs, I thought a bit heavy for a long trek.

My old pack was a dry bag on an old K2 frame so this one is an ultralight for me. Another advantage over the sponge packs is if you keep your tent or tarp or hammock in a mesh bag outside the pack you can set up or take down in a downpour and NOTHING else but the outside of the shelter and the clothes on your back get wet. I understand gram weenies, I'm just not one yet. I'm hoping technology will advance, but unless there is a market for nonsponge packs, that's not going to happen.

skinewmexico
08-24-2010, 15:00
So you're saying you'd rather carry a 6# pack over a 1oz pack liner?

Blue Jay
08-24-2010, 15:06
So you're saying you'd rather carry a 6# pack over a 1oz pack liner?

Well since the 1 oz. pack liner is for day hikers, yes. I've experienced and seen the results of pack liners many many times.:eek: