PDA

View Full Version : Velcro on HH

Glee
11-22-2004, 12:46
What would be the best way to put velcro on the HH? Glue? Sew it on? Will it damage the material? I'm making some mini rain flys to go on the each end of the hammock. Sort of extra protection against rain. About 1 to 2 feet on both ends. I have an extra fly from a HH Ultralight Backpacker Asym. I have an EXPLORER ULTRALITE A-SYM, which is 9 feet long. The fly, (It is suppose to be the larger one) just covers the hammock. I've read post where many people have not had a problem with the rain in theirs. However, I wonder what model they had. Anyway, I want to cut off a few feet from my extra fly and put velcro along the edges. I then want to put velcro on the hammock to line up where these would be placed. Any ideas? Input?

Youngblood
11-22-2004, 12:59
Glee,

I have sewn velcro to a silnylon tarp so that I could close the ends as a wind block, where the silnylon was hemmed such that it was about 3 layers thick at the hem. Velcro has its place, but is not something that I like to use unless I really feel I need to. You might want to just look at buying/making a larger tarp if you want more coverage instead of trying to velcro on extensions, I think you will be happier with that. Velcro is not particularly heavy, but it is aggravating in that in wants to catch on things and it makes things more bulky when you pack it up.

Youngblood

Glee
11-22-2004, 13:17
The added weight would be less then 3 oz. The material of the HH ultra fly weighs nothing for the most part. However, I did buy the hex fly 144"x 120, ($59.00) from Hennessy which weights 1 lb 9 0z. At the time, this was the only one they told me about as I was on the AT at the time. I know there are lighter ones from Hennessy, (HEX"-SHAPED SILNYLON RIPSTOP RAIN FLY Size: 144" x 132" hexagonal shape Weight: 1 lb. (but why pay more at this point when I have 3 as it is.

Youngblood
11-22-2004, 14:08
There are at least two people that I am aware of that make and sell light weight replacement tarps for HHs. Both of them visit this site. They use light weight silnylon and while they are heavier than the stock tarp, the weight is proportional to the extra coverage. I don't have their tarps, but other folks on this site do. You might be able to use the Search button to locate previous threads about them, if you are interested... or someone with more info may speak up.

Youngblood

Glee
11-22-2004, 14:09
I was looking at some of your photo's of you Hammock Tarptent. How has it worked out for you? Does it hold up in high winds? Did you make it yourself? I'm interested in how u sewed on the latches to the side of the fly.. Sorry for all the questions..
Thanks

SGT Rock
11-22-2004, 14:13
There are at least two people that I am aware of that make and sell light weight replacement tarps for HHs. Both of them visit this site. They use light weight silnylon and while they are heavier than the stock tarp, the weight is proportional to the extra coverage. I don't have their tarps, but other folks on this site do. You might be able to use the Search button to locate previous threads about them, if you are interested... or someone with more info may speak up.

Youngblood

Brian makes a good tarp called the MacCat tarp.

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/

peter_pan
11-22-2004, 16:05
The JBR 8x8 Square Tarp is good coverage, $60 and at 10.2 oz for double silnyl impregnation is only 3 oz heavier than the stock HH fly.

Youngblood
11-22-2004, 16:30
I was looking at some of your photo's of you Hammock Tarptent. How has it worked out for you? Does it hold up in high winds? Did you make it yourself? I'm interested in how u sewed on the latches to the side of the fly.. Sorry for all the questions..
Thanks

Glee,

No problem with the questions. I haven't tried that one out in cold weather yet. I used and earlier version last winter and thought it showed some promise in maintaining a warmer, wind protected area around the hammock. I figure I will have to hide from the wind and hope that it might handle light winds when configured as a hammock tarptent... guessing maybe 10 mph with 15 mph burst? I did make it myself and the tie-outs are grosgrain ribbon sewn onto a couple of layers of small reinforcement patches. Silnylon needs some special attention, the needle holes can potentially tear like perforated paper. What I do is use reinforcement patches to spread out the loading to more needle holes and then brush on a mixture of silicone adhesive/mineral spirits for added strength and waterproofing to the needle holes... but I am an amateur at this. It also has velcro sewn along the edges. It is a little complicated to make, it has a catenary ridgeline and edges, which makes it more wind worthy in an A-frame pitch. It takes a lot of stakes and some time to setup, so there is a weight, fuss factor and pack volume increase to consider. I only plan on using it in my winter backpacking, which is in the southeast.

Youngblood

Glee
11-23-2004, 13:13
I have added some info here about my situation and winter setup. Any input, ideas, feedback would be great.

I’m going to be leaving Harpers Ferry in late Feb and heading north to Maine, and hope this setup should keep me warm enough and alive.

I plan on using the Jacks r Better Nest underquilt.
Can I get rid of my air mat, which weights close to 2 lbs? I have another one, which is over 3 lbs. While they are heavy they do keep me warm on the bottom and nice if I need to stay in a shelter.. I've been trying out a thin (1/4 in) pad and the windshield reflector. Down to 35 Degrees it was no problem.

Here is what I plan for my winter shelter setup:

Jacks r Better Nest underquilt - 20 ozs

I've ordered a REI Kilo Plus (2lbs 10 ozs) 0 degree down bag (I'm currently using a North Face, cheap synthetic 20 degree bag.)

I’ve ordered from Dancing Light Gear, a Ultra light Vapor Barrier Sleeping Bag Liner (5 3/4 ozs) which is a full mummy vapor liner for the inside of the bag (Suppose to add 5 to 10 degrees)

I've also ordered a Campmor vapor barrier bag (Wt. 11 oz) (10 to 15 degrees) for the outside of my bag to keep it dry (And clean if I need to stay in a shelter). Since I will be inside the bag with a full vapor barrier liner, there shouldn’t be a problem with condensation, however, the outside vapor barrier while it will add to the warmth, I'm not sure if it will give me a full 10 to 15 degrees since I'm using it on the outside of the bag.

In theory, this setup, sleeping bag. 0 degrees, and 2 liners 5 to 15 degrees each, should be able to take me down to 20 below. Being inside the hammock with the fly set right, also adds about 5 degrees. I’m guessing with The Nest underquilt, it will keep me warm on the bottom of the hammock and not add to the overall warmth of my setup when used as the underquilt.

The only problem is I have to sleep with no clothes on. Getting out of the bag in the morning, I’m sure I will set a new record for the fastest dresser.

Since I have the EXPLORER ULTRALITE A-SYM 2lb.4oz. 9 feet long, I felt the fly, which came with it, was not enough. I did get wet a few times in driving horizontal rain. However, it was user error at the time.

So, since I was on the AT at the time, I called HH and was informed they had a 144"x 120" (12x10) hexagonal shape Weight: 1 lb. 9 0z, which I ordered for $59.00. If I knew (No clue why she didn’t tell me when I was talking with her on the phone) they had the lighter one, 144" x 132" (12 x 11) hexagonal shape Weight: 1 lb, I would have gotten that instead.

However, now, in order to keep my weight down, (And to save money) I would like to use the fly, which came with the hammock. I'm not sure of the weight, (I'm guessing 4 to 9 ozs at the most) but lighter then the larger 1 lb 9 oz fly.

I'm in the process of doing some modifications to the fly. I'm going to sew on 2 more tie downs (around 2 feet down from the top) to the front and back of the fly. Using shock cord, I will connect the two tie downs with shock cord. I will then use one stake and use a guy line to the middle of the shock cord. This should take care of the problem of the fly blowing up in the wind and add extra strength to hold the fly down in strong winds. This should add only a few ozs to the setup with the 2 extra stakes.

I could also just add 2 guy lines and stake down the front and back using 4 stakes. This could be a little overkill using 6 stakes total, but should hold the fly down in a major storm.

Since I have a extra 30D SILNYLON RAIN FLY, I might cut off the ends ( 1 1/2 to 2 feet) and using Velcro attach (2) sections to the top of the hammock over the mosquito netting, and under the fly. Sort of like the Overcover of the Supershelter from HH, but only covering the head and foot ends. This will give extra protection from any water flying in by the head or foot end of the hammock. Once again, this should only add about 3 to 5 ozs.

So the total setup should be:

Hennessy Hammock 2lbs 4 ozs

The Nest Underquilt - 1 lbs 4 ozs

Sleeping Bag 0 Degree - 2 lbs 10 ozs

Ultralite Vapor Barrier - 5 3/4 ozs

Campmor Vapor Barrier - 11 ozs

Modifications to Fly - 3 ozs to 5 ozs

Python Skins 2 ozs

Total - About 8 lbs

I feel this is not bad for a hammock, which should be good to 20 degrees below 0. And with a ground cloth (My lite weight poncho) I can always take it to ground as a bivy.

For camp clothes I have a lite fleece top and bottoms and use my rain pants and jacket for a windbreaker or as a vapor barrier. I also have a Mountain Hardwear Phantom Jacket 16 ozs…

Once again, any input, ideas, and feedback would be great. Thanks for all your help.

brian
11-24-2004, 15:59
I am the owner of www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com that Sgt Rock mentioned. I currently have several of my hammock specific MacCat tarps in stock, which include seam sealing and a silnylon stuff sack.

Brian MacMillin
OutdoorEquipmentSupplier
oes *@* hvc.rr.com

Youngblood
11-24-2004, 16:12
Glee,

I see you have already ordered some of these items. If you had not, I would suggest you use your existing rain suit for your vapor barrier along with small plastic bags between liner socks and fleece sleeping socks, but you already have two vapor barriers that together weigh over a pound, in the mail.

I think you may need a little more underneath insulation if you are trying to 'match' a 0 degree sleeping bag, but you will hopefully get that worked out. Most of us hammockers have learned that it is wise to try out our cold weather solutions in our backyards or someplace where we have a good bailout plan in case things don't work out like we hoped.

Youngblood