PDA

View Full Version : Interstate 3 - Another Interstate Proposal article

Tennessee Viking
08-23-2010, 09:39
Interstate 3...if built it would cross the AT and cut through numerous forest lands.

http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9025715

Helios
08-23-2010, 09:53
“This route really serves no legitimate transportation needs,” Grode said. “These routes are not going to be quicker or faster.”

http://www.stopi3.org/

bulldog49
08-23-2010, 13:46
# The proposed highway threatens four National Forests and Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The damage to the mountain ecosystem, water and air quality, endangered species, local economies, and the beauty of the region would be irreversible.

:rolleyes: Same old worn out, tired excuse enviro extremists use to attempt to halt any sort of development. Like the boy who cried wolf. :rolleyes:

Cost is the only relevant issue, although the way the govt is throwing money around the past year, this hwy is a mere pittance. :mad:

10-K
08-23-2010, 14:17
The money would be better spent fixing some of our crumbling infrastructure IMO.

moytoy
08-23-2010, 17:38
Let,s just pave paradise.

The Solemates
08-24-2010, 11:51
this has been stewing for at least a decade now....is it something that is really still being considered?

i just got back from AZ yesterday. i climbed mount humphreys when i was there. on the summit someone had put a bumper sticker on the log box for "pave the trails" or something like that. i cant remember. i think it was a joke.

Rain Man
08-24-2010, 17:02
Same old worn out, tired excuse enviro extremists use to attempt to halt any sort of development. Like the boy who cried wolf.

Sorry, but the only "wolf" being cried is the same ol', same ol, from the road builders. This would just be another big government welfare hand-out to the politically powerful road builders association. They can always rationalize incrementally destroying part of the earth for some filthy lucre. It's not extreme at all to vote for nature over blind profit.

And I certainly agree with the comment to spend the money on maintaining current infrastructure, not building more when we can't afford to maintain what we already have. "The government" has been throwing money away the past year? Nay. But the prior EIGHT years? You bet.

Rain Man

Luddite
08-24-2010, 17:21
:rolleyes: Same old worn out, tired excuse enviro extremists use to attempt to halt any sort of development. Like the boy who cried wolf. :rolleyes:

Thank god there are at least a few enviro-extremists out there or we wouldn't have any national parks or forests at all. I really don't think this country needs one more mile of road.

Luddite
08-24-2010, 17:23
Let,s just pave paradise.

Lets just pave the AT while we're at it. Why thru-hike when you can thru-drive?

Ox97GaMe
08-24-2010, 21:02
The route that has been proposed for the last 10 years is slowly being converted from winding 2 lane roads to 4 lane limited access.

The 'legitimate' reason for the road is so that nuclear materials can be transported from Oak Ridge TN to Savannah River GA. This new route, although it may not save any actual time or distance, will bypass the larger cities that this material would have to go through today (Atlanta, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Asheville, Greenville, Columbia).

The proposed route will likely cross the AT somewhere near Helen Georgia. A secondary route would have it crossing somewhere between NOC and Fontana (likely Stecoah Gap).

The widening of the roads has been mostly completed between Savannah and Franklin NC. It has also been mostly completed from Oak Ridge to the edge of the Smokies.

The I-3 proposal isnt getting much overall attention at the moment, but there are other 'related' initiatives; such as Corrider K (Robbinsville - Stecoah); that will help lay the foundation for this interstate to eventually be built. It may take another 20 years, but it will be put through at some point.