PDA

View Full Version : Monson supplies

English Stu
08-23-2010, 12:05
Is there accepted option around Monson. I intend to resupply there, was thinking about staying at the Horseshoe lean to south then in the morning to Shaws and resupply .Tent at Shaws (I try to avoid snorers, comings and goings in hostels, shelters) and then breakfast and back on the Trail. Bit weather dependant I guess.
I intend to stop at the White House Landing -5/6 days food from Monson?. Is there internet access in Monson.Any views on this idea.

10-K
08-23-2010, 12:24
There is plenty enough resupply in Monson to take you all the way to Abol Bridge.

Internet access at The Lakeshore House & Pub and maybe the library (which was closed when I was there so I'm not 100% on that).

Resupply at White House Landing involves a pretty limited selection at above average prices.

Specs
08-23-2010, 12:51
There is plenty enough resupply in Monson to take you all the way to Abol Bridge.

Internet access at The Lakeshore House & Pub and maybe the library (which was closed when I was there so I'm not 100% on that).

Resupply at White House Landing involves a pretty limited selection at above average prices.

I beg to differ. We got a ride to the town about 5 miles from Monson to go to an actual grocery store. There is a General Store in Monson, but supplies are limited. Depends what you like.

10-K
08-23-2010, 13:25
I beg to differ. We got a ride to the town about 5 miles from Monson to go to an actual grocery store. There is a General Store in Monson, but supplies are limited. Depends what you like.

Between the general store and the market up the street I was able to get more than enough. Nothing fancy, but better than some places.

And like you say, it's not that far to a 'real' grocery store from Monson.

SouthMark
08-31-2010, 14:02
Was at WHL last week and resupplied. Very good choices and prices were not high. Spent the night there. It was a great experience. Bill and Linda are nice people. I recommend it highly.

Grinder
08-31-2010, 19:03
I'm there now.

I agree pretty much with the previous posts.

Guilford is the nearest town with a "real" grocery. Dawn will shuttle you there. I have no idea of cost involved..

There is enough to get by locally.a general store up the street and a bit bigger market at the Mobil station on the south end of town.

I do think WHL winds up being pretty expensive if you use a credit card. (And they do have to truck everything in over 30 miles of dirt roads <3 hours round trip>) But the food is great and Linda will be your "new best friend" in minutes.

Shaw's doesn't have WIFI, but someone in the area does. I'm using it now.
I was told you could use the computer at the library Gratis. Didn't actually do it, since no need. Lake Shore House has wifi.

warraghiyagey
09-01-2010, 01:00
Guilford is the nearest town with a "real" grocery..

Not so. . . Greenville is much closer and is where everyone goes who needs a bigger supply store, it's 13 miles from Monson and has a large grocery store with a large outfitter attached to it and there is a smaller outfitter down the hill from there about 1/4 mile. . .
Shaw's shuttles hikers there every day . . . :sun:sun

Wrangler88
09-01-2010, 01:14
I got a mail drop in Monson and wish I wouldn't have. They had plenty in the General Store to suit me. I just didn't know what to expect.

Plus the people there were extremely friendly and helpful.

neighbor dave
09-01-2010, 08:07
we hitched up to greenville, it was easy, and a nice place to drink some beers,eat,enjoy the lake and buy real food.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15472&catid=member&orderby=views&direction=DESC&imageuser=4327&cutoffdate=-1