PDA

View Full Version : Mahoosuc Trail Blue Blaze

peakbagger
11-22-2004, 14:01
The somewhat popular blue blaze from Gorham NH along the Mahoosuc trail to its junction with the AT (the Centennial Trail) is currently in flux. The trail starts at the railroad trestle about 1/4 mile north of Hikers Paradise and used to go over a hydro dam before heading into the woods and up to the summit of Mt Hayes where the AT comes in from Shelburne. The blue blaze is used occasionally as a way of avoiding a long hitch back to Shelburne or occasionally by SOBO's who need to get into town quickly. The other use is that there is a small pond (Mascot) with several campsites about a mile and a half in that is a good place for thruhikers who cant afford to stay in town yet need to hang out waiting for others.

The new owner of the dam has fenced and gated the dam at both ends, there is a detour in place to another bridge up river but it is not blazed and adds about 1.5 miles onto the walk. I suspect that at some point the trail could be relocated to cut some of the extra mileage but it will be a fairly major move.

This was a FYI - no need to debate the merits of blue blazing

Tramper Al
11-22-2004, 15:29
AT history buffs can probably confirm that this route up on the Mahoosuc Trail was at one time the AT. The Centennial Trail (and current AT route) up from Rt. 2 / Shelburne was constructed in 1976, I believe. Anybody know the old route from Madison Hut to downtown Gorham, bypassing all the Wildcats, Carters, and Moriah?

MOWGLI
11-22-2004, 15:42
Anybody know the old route from Madison Hut to downtown Gorham, bypassing all the Wildcats, Carters, and Moriah?

I believe the Imp Trail was part of the "original" AT. That helps bypass the Wildcats & Carter. I'm not sure how the trail skipped Moriah, although the AT does not actually go over Moriah. I took the blue blaze to the summit of Moriah and promptly fell asleep there for an hour or so.

Lone Wolf
11-22-2004, 15:44
The Carter/Moriah Trail used to be the AT. It drops right into Gorham almost behind The Barn.

MOWGLI
11-22-2004, 16:13
I believe the Imp Trail was part of the "original" AT.

I was incorrect. Lone Wolf is 100% correct however.

Tramper Al
11-22-2004, 16:21
Ah, my mistake. The trail route through there in the old days was more similar to what it is today than I realized.

peakbagger
11-24-2004, 13:26
Early in the history of the AT, the trail went through gorham, down a side street to the side of the river. Hikers would make arrangments with the owner of the house for him to row them across the river.

There is a lost trails website that a white mountain trail fan had created but I cant find it right off, it had some info on the routing from the other side of the river up to the top of Mt Hayes where the Centennial trail come in. I think it might have gone up the outlet brook to Mascot Pond.

As for the routing from Madison hut directly to Gorham, I am not sure it was the AT, but the trail still mostly exists, the first part is called Pine link to the Dolly Copp Road, then it turns into the Horton center driveway to the top of Pine Mountain, then there is a trail from the top of Pine Mountain to a gravel pit in Gorham.

Sleepy the Arab
11-24-2004, 20:43
There is a lost trails website that a white mountain trail fan had created but I cant find it right off, it had some info on the routing from the other side of the river up to the top of Mt Hayes where the Centennial trail come in. I think it might have gone up the outlet brook to Mascot Pond.

How's about this one (http://world.std.com/~Whites/) ?

peakbagger
06-10-2005, 13:04
An update for 2005. As of mid may, the west end of the Mahoosuc trail starting in Gorham still had not had an official relocation around the closed hydrostation crossing. There is a temporary relo but is poorly marked and has been a source of confusion for many hikers. The easier relo is to cross the railroad trestle along the side of RT 16, then immediately scramble up a gravel slide up to the old railroad track, if you look carefully you will see a very small sign with "mahoosuc trail relocation" at the turn. Walk up the railroad track roughly NE to an old railroad bridge over the inlet canal to the hydrostation and cross the bridge. Immediately after crossing the bridge, take a right into the woods onto a path passing by a junked car. (there should be another blue sign at the turn). Follow the path until it goes up a hill and meets a power line right of way. Take a right turn onto a dirt road and follow it south for 4 or 5 tenths until you are within sight of the hydro station. Look for the trail going sharp left leaving the road. There should be another small blue sign at the turn. The alternative for someone with a car is to drive up from Shelburne on Hogan Road and park near the hydro station, then follow the blazes up the road.

BTW the area between the old river bed that you first cross and the hydro canal is infested with dog ticks. More than a few thru hikers on low funds have camped there as an alternative to spending money in town and have gotten covered by ticks when they attempted to camp there. This also applies to Mascot Pond to a lesser extent.

chomp
06-10-2005, 13:43
Excellent news! I much prefer the old AT to the newer version. While Rattle River is a fine trail, the cliffs on Mt Suprise are fantastic and nothing beats being about to walk in and out of town without hitching.

peakbagger
02-14-2006, 13:45
Update as of Feb 2006 - The Mahoosuc trail has been officially abandonded from the trestle in Gorham to the east side of the hydro canal (the Hogan road). AMC is no longer maintaining or marking this section which is about 2 miles. The alternate route still exists but there are no blazes.

peakbagger
11-26-2008, 17:32
Update nov 08 - The pedestrian bridge under the railroad has been replaced with a galvanized steel walkway. It has steel grating that some dogs will not walk over. Still a head banger on either end. The Mahoosuc trail is still "officially" abandoned but there is signage directing hikers to the rail trail over the hydro canal. Once over the bridge take an immediate right (no sign) thru the woods past the chevy and backout into the utility right of way than south down the road along the canal to the trailhead.