PDA

View Full Version : In search of the "Holy Grail" of packs....

nawlunz
08-23-2010, 22:38
1) Lightweight enough to be considered in the "ultralite" range
2) Durable for long treks
3) large capacity for the long treks....6 L or greater?
4) comfortable

Does a pack really exist?

STICK
08-23-2010, 23:14
4) comfortable

If 6 L for you is large capacity, I would hate to see you when you are cutting back... :D

perrito
08-23-2010, 23:23
Osprey Exos 58 has this covered. Do it, do it do it.

Tabasco
08-23-2010, 23:34
ULA Equipment. Circuit

skinewmexico
08-24-2010, 00:24
ULA Equipment. Circuit

+1. Help someone make a payroll in Utah, instead of Vietnam. Or a Gossamer Gear Mariposa.

MedicineMan
08-24-2010, 01:08
for that same reasoning--buy American--Ron's packs at MLD meet the criteria as well.
I also like Moonbowgear; they do (or used to) a Mithril that also meets the requirements and Moonbowgear is also in the USA

MintakaCat
08-24-2010, 06:45
ULA Equipment. Circuit

I have to agree with this one.

JAK
08-24-2010, 06:47
I have a Go-Lite Jam2, but I would say the ULA line would be the better choice.

nawlunz
08-24-2010, 08:51
If 6 L for you is large capacity, I would hate to see you when you are cutting back... :D

I am not sure I understand your comment....I may have written the wrong number, what I meant to say is 7000 cc as large capacity. I have a pack that is 7000 cc that I have used for going out for 7-10 days. It is over 5 lbs and trying to cut the weight...So, do you think that volume is too large?

The Circuit recommended below looks around 4500, and I thought that was on the lower end....so, just needing comments as to whether you feel that is too large a capcity and I could get by with less.

nawlunz
08-24-2010, 08:57
I am not sure I understand your comment....I may have written the wrong number, what I meant to say is 7000 cc as large capacity. I have a pack that is 7000 cc that I have used for going out for 7-10 days. It is over 5 lbs and trying to cut the weight...So, do you think that volume is too large?

The Circuit recommended below looks around 4500, and I thought that was on the lower end....so, just needing comments as to whether you feel that is too large a capcity and I could get by with less.

Again, looking for a large capacity, light pack

Tabasco
08-24-2010, 10:13
If you think the Circuit is too small, go with ULA Equipment, Catalyst.

Best pack I've ever owned.

mister krabs
08-24-2010, 10:15
Capacity in volume or capacity in weight? Are you looking to pack lots of high volume low weight insulation, or do you have lots of traditional heavy gear and need a pack to carry the weight of all that plus food? A golite pinnacle is 2 lbs and 72 liters, but won't carry more than about 35 lbs where a quest adds a pound to carry 10 more at the same volume. Which describes your situation?

nawlunz
08-24-2010, 10:24
Capacity in volume or capacity in weight? Are you looking to pack lots of high volume low weight insulation, or do you have lots of traditional heavy gear and need a pack to carry the weight of all that plus food? A golite pinnacle is 2 lbs and 72 liters, but won't carry more than about 35 lbs where a quest adds a pound to carry 10 more at the same volume. Which describes your situation?

still trying to keep weight down. I have to bring a bear cannister, so that adds to the volume, but I am still trying to keep it under 40 lbs as maximum load. So, I need to volume, and most of what I am taking is food..I am trying to keep base < 14 lbs...

Mountain Wildman
08-24-2010, 10:25
I have a 7000 pack also, I loaded it up with all the goodies I bought and weighed it, It was 55 lbs. without food and water. I then purchased a 4600 pack, Put 20 lbs. of gear in a box and put it aside, Now my pack comes in at around 35 lbs. without food and water. I decided to keep the 7000 pack for winter camping when I'll need the room for the extra winter gear, Puffy jacket and pants, Extra fuel and food etc...
I think 4600 to 5000 is perfect, Any more room and I tend to add gear(weight) that I can do without. Unless you are aspiring to be Ultrlight, Any more than 5000 is probably too big. And I am still trying to get closer to 30 lbs. or less for my Thru-Hike next year in which case my 4600 pack may be a little too big but that's just extra room for food.

leaftye
08-24-2010, 10:36

7000 cubic inches or centimeters? I've never heard a pack described in anything other than liters or cubic inches before.

Anyway, I'll assume you meant inches. If your stuff requires all 7000 cubic inches, then it requires that much. If you change up your style or get smaller alternatives, then I could recommend smaller packs. So... Get McHale to build you a pack out of Spectra. Or you might want to look at an external frame pack. I don't think that's the right term. I mean the kind that have the frame and you attach your own bag and gear. Titanium Goat is developing one of these out of carbon fiber. It weighs less than 3 pounds. Attach your bear canister to the bottom and get a large cuben fiber bag for the top. Cuben is pretty light already so it doesn't benefit you much to switch it out with smaller bags as you downsize the rest of your gear so just roll the top more.

couscous
08-24-2010, 11:27
"3) large capacity for the long treks....6 L or greater?"
~~
6 liters = 6,000cc = 366ci .. that's about 1/10 the size of a Granite Gear Vapor Trail .. and was what Stick noticed.
~~
7 liters = 7,000cc = 427ci
72 liters = 72,000cc = 4,394ci
114.7 liters = 114,700cc = 7,000ci

bigcranky
08-24-2010, 11:42
I think you meant 60 liters. That's about 4000 cubic inches, give or take.

I have been using the Six Moons Designs Starlite for a while, and it fits your criteria. Under 2 pounds, good support for up to 35 pounds, and it carries all my winter gear. The ULA packs are good, too, but I only have experience with the Ohm, which is probably too small for you.

nawlunz
08-24-2010, 11:49
"3) large capacity for the long treks....6 L or greater?"
~~
6 liters = 6,000cc = 366ci .. that's about 1/10 the size of a Granite Gear Vapor Trail .. and was what Stick noticed.
~~
7 liters = 7,000cc = 427ci
72 liters = 72,000cc = 4,394ci
114.7 liters = 114,700cc = 7,000ci

75 liters is what I have....

Luddite
08-24-2010, 12:02
http://ula-equipment.com/catalyst.asp

Are you sure you meant 7000ci?

nawlunz
08-24-2010, 12:45
http://ula-equipment.com/catalyst.asp

Are you sure you meant 7000ci?

70 liters, are around 4600 ci

THANKS

cowpoke
08-24-2010, 14:13
I have a Kelty Redcloud 6600....great pack...used for many sections on the AT.... but weighs over 6lbs empty...so I just ordered a ULA Catalyst....I'm thinking I'll be happy!

skinewmexico
08-24-2010, 14:58
My Catalyst is so huge I rarely use it, but I don't have to carry a bear canister either. From what I understand, a canister will fit sideways in the Catalyst. On my Circuit, I either fold my tent and stuff it in the back pocket, or make a long roll and put it in the side pocket, and under a compression strap. Frees up a lot of room inside. I have a lot of smallish gear, so I use the Circuit for up to a week.

And I think the original joke was about your typo of a 6L pack, instead of a 60L.

leaftye
08-24-2010, 18:48
My Catalyst is so huge I rarely use it, but I don't have to carry a bear canister either. From what I understand, a canister will fit sideways in the Catalyst. On my Circuit, I either fold my tent and stuff it in the back pocket, or make a long roll and put it in the side pocket, and under a compression strap. Frees up a lot of room inside. I have a lot of smallish gear, so I use the Circuit for up to a week.

And I think the original joke was about your typo of a 6L pack, instead of a 60L.

A BearVault might, but I seriously doubt a Bearikade Expedition would since I can barely get it sideways in my Dana Designs Astralplane and can't fit it like that in my nearly 7000 ci REI pack. The guy probably doesn't have a Bearikade anyway.

nawlunz
08-24-2010, 20:30
A BearVault might, but I seriously doubt a Bearikade Expedition would since I can barely get it sideways in my Dana Designs Astralplane and can't fit it like that in my nearly 7000 ci REI pack. The guy probably doesn't have a Bearikade anyway.

expedition.

leaftye
08-24-2010, 20:49
Ah, in that case, would you like me to see if a Bearikade Expedition fits sideways into a ULA Catalyst?

nawlunz
08-24-2010, 21:11
Ah, in that case, would you like me to see if a Bearikade Expedition fits sideways into a ULA Catalyst?

and a catalyst?

nawlunz
08-24-2010, 21:12
has experience with....Osprey Aether 70?

leaftye
08-25-2010, 00:04
and a catalyst?

Yes, I have a Bearikade Expedition and a ULA Catalyst. I haven't used them together. I've only put an Ursack in the Catalyst and it can be a tight fit when trying to stuff a full Ursack in sideways.

skinewmexico
08-25-2010, 00:10
From ULA -

Q: Can I fit a bear canister into the Catalyst? Can it fit horizontally?

A: Yes. Every bear canister on the market other than the Bearikade Expedition will fit into the Catalyst horizontally. Keep in mind it is best to pack something between the hard sided canister and the bottom of the pack.

FamilyGuy
08-25-2010, 13:10
The Holy Grail? www.mchalepacks.com (http://www.mchalepacks.com)

There is no substitute for perfection.

STICK
09-05-2010, 01:04
Sorry if I caused some confusion, but it was pointed out what I meant. Just messing with ya on the "6 L" comment. 6 L is tiny... Anyway, i figured you meant 60 L.

I only have one pack at this point and I do not carry a bear canister. So no experienced help, but I would agree with the majority here as to say give the ULA Catalyst a look-see. I have tried one on in a store, and it is huge. If you have a retailer anywhere near you take all your gear to the store and try them out! Surely there has got to be something near New Orleans...

yaduck9
09-05-2010, 10:47
You might look at this

http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.13869/.f?sc=11&category=8

Have not tried one, but I keep looking at it.

Mountain Wildman
09-05-2010, 14:00
You might look at this

http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.13869/.f?sc=11&category=8

Have not tried one, but I keep looking at it.

This is the pack I use, It is made with a very strong and thick material that has a diamond pattern to it, The buckles are all heavy duty with substantial straps, It's a top loader that has a drawstring closure with another drawstring on the bottom/side of the shroud, This pack can easily handle 40 to 50 pound loads, The waistbelt padding is over an inch thick and the shoulder padding is just under an inch, The bottle pockets and back pocket are made out of a thick very stretchy spandex material, The torso length is adjustable as is the entire suspension. This is a pack that does not need to be tried on, It will be comfortable. The only packs that even come close to this are the High end Arc'teryx, Osprey and Kelty, But even they can barely compete. Mystery Ranch makes their packs to handle heavy loads and take just about any abuse you can throw at them, They rate their pack life expectancy at 17 years with regular use. The only real competition in my opinion is Mchale Packs. I know my Trance XXX will last for many Thru-Hikes and I don't regret spending the extra dollars one little bit!!!

stranger
09-09-2010, 15:12
Whether or not a pack is comfortable is completely up to you. No one call tell you what's going to comfortable for you, they can only tell you what's comfortable for them. Just like food, people have different taste.

As far as I'm concerned, backpacks are levels of discomfort, as opposed to comfort. A hot bath is comfortable...a backpack is not.

Also, wanting a large capacity pack that's ultralight is a fairly solid contradiction in most cases. The larger the pack's capacity, the heavier it will be and the more substantial (and heavier) suspension you will need. Packs are like shoes, one pair will not do all. Being more specific around your needs will help you narrow it down.

I would start by looking at Granite Gear, Gregory, Osprey and ULA

Many Walks
09-09-2010, 18:24
Garcia Machine Backpacker's Cache Model 812 and Bearvault BV-500 will both fit horizontally in the Osprey Exos 58 with plenty of room for other stuff.

brotheral
09-10-2010, 08:04
This is the pack I use, It is made with a very strong and thick material that has a diamond pattern to it, The buckles are all heavy duty with substantial straps, It's a top loader that has a drawstring closure with another drawstring on the bottom/side of the shroud, This pack can easily handle 40 to 50 pound loads, The waistbelt padding is over an inch thick and the shoulder padding is just under an inch, The bottle pockets and back pocket are made out of a thick very stretchy spandex material, The torso length is adjustable as is the entire suspension. This is a pack that does not need to be tried on, It will be comfortable. The only packs that even come close to this are the High end Arc'teryx, Osprey and Kelty, But even they can barely compete. Mystery Ranch makes their packs to handle heavy loads and take just about any abuse you can throw at them, They rate their pack life expectancy at 17 years with regular use. The only real competition in my opinion is Mchale Packs. I know my Trance XXX will last for many Thru-Hikes and I don't regret spending the extra dollars one little bit!!!
I'm not a long distance backpacker... But I like to be as comfortable as possible and not carry unnecessary weight...Makes it alot more fun.. I intend to head over to Damascus and look at the ULA packs.. Would you recommend the Trance over a ULA pack ??

Mountain Wildman
09-10-2010, 08:57
I honestly have no experience with ULA packs, Considering their popularity, They must be a well made pack, There is this review on the ULA Circuit:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65036, I have not read it since I am not in the market for a pack. What I have read in the past has been favorable, However, I have heard more than once that if you exceed the recommended weight capacity, The ULA packs become uncomfortable which is inherent in most packs I would think, Being that the ULA packs are not rated for more than 40 lbs. max, you have that limitation which is fine if you don't ever need to carry more weight.
The Mystery Ranch Trance XXX however will carry 50 lbs. comfortably and is built well enough to carry more. The Trance is made with a more substantial material, A very adjustable frame suspension and has much better padding on the waist belt and shoulder harness. In terms of comparison between the ULA packs and the Trance XXX, Well, Not to diminish the ULA packs but they really cannot compete with the Trance. The ULA Circuit is the same capacity as the Trance XXX but has a max load of 35 lbs compared to the 50 lb. comfortable carry rating of the Trance XXX. The ULA is of course lighter and $150 less in price but I have read of pack failure in regards to some ULA packs, Never in an M.R. pack. The Trance XXX is 2 lbs heavier than the ULA Circuit but is so well designed that you would most likely not notice the couple pounds. It is almost apples to oranges really. If you prefer a pack that although is more expensive, will not fail you, carry more weight comfortably than I would want to carry and carrys the 35 lb, max weight of the ULA Circuit with ease and could take more than it's an easy choice. The quality and durability of the packs that Dana Gleason makes is indisputable and even his old creation the highly praised Terraplane is almost impossible to buy because the people that still use them many years later don't want to part with them. Inevitably it is your choice to make, As for me, I would make the same choice without hesitation. And, The only real competition that a Mystery Ranch pack has is a custom made one off pack that costs around twice as much.

brotheral
09-10-2010, 09:26
I "Used To" have a terraplane. My ex-wife kept it when we parted ways. Would've cost too much in legal and other fees to get it from her.... I sure loved it though. Thanks for your feedback Wildman...

Kerosene
09-10-2010, 09:52
I purchased a Dana Terraplane X in 2000 and used it for three 100+ mile section hikes. It rode very nicely at 40 pounds, but I eventually realized that it was overkill for 3-season AT hiking and moved to a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone which can lug 40 pounds in a pinch but with which I carry 26 during shoulder seasons. I've been looking at the ULA Ohm or CDT to use in warmer weather, which would shave off another 1-2 pounds of carry weight. I can certainly carry the weight all day, but my feet feel a lot better at the end of the day if I keep the total weight under 30.

Mountain Wildman
09-10-2010, 10:10
I "Used To" have a terraplane. My ex-wife kept it when we parted ways. Would've cost too much in legal and other fees to get it from her.... I sure loved it though. Thanks for your feedback Wildman...

You are welcome!!
With a little covert infiltration you may be able to get that Terraplane back!!!:eek::sun

Mountain Wildman
09-10-2010, 10:12
I purchased a Dana Terraplane X in 2000 and used it for three 100+ mile section hikes. It rode very nicely at 40 pounds, but I eventually realized that it was overkill for 3-season AT hiking and moved to a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone which can lug 40 pounds in a pinch but with which I carry 26 during shoulder seasons. I've been looking at the ULA Ohm or CDT to use in warmer weather, which would shave off another 1-2 pounds of carry weight. I can certainly carry the weight all day, but my feet feel a lot better at the end of the day if I keep the total weight under 30.

Amen to that!!!
I just got my pack weight down to 30 lbs.
And in my Trance XXX, That feels just fine.
Still would like to shed more but I love my comfort!:)

christoba123
03-24-2013, 16:17
Arc Teryx Bora. Ive tried Ultra light packs and their suspension always sucked. Decided that the extra pound that they weigh was worth the comfort.

Dogwood
03-24-2013, 23:17
In search of the "Holy Grail" of packs....Doesn't exist. And, if you read/saw The Da vinci Code you would know the Holy Grail is not a pack, place, or concept, but a woman or so Dan Brown might want us to think.

FamilyGuy
03-25-2013, 17:09
www.mchalepacks.com

These ARE the holy grail of packs.

leaftye
03-25-2013, 17:17
www.mchalepacks.com (http://www.mchalepacks.com)

These ARE the holy grail of packs.

I almost posted the same thing, but then I realized that I have a high potential for having a mediocre pack made for me. It would be very high quality, and have superior materials, but it would probably be terrible for me. The holy grail can only be achieved with someone that knows exactly what they want, and an exceptional backpack builder like Dan McHale or Chris Zimmer.

I'm still figuring out exactly what I need. I'm getting close. I have two big problems left. How do I design the top to secure hold a foam pad (or other long bulky item, like a bear canister) with either full or nearly empty main compartment? How do I design the side pockets to allow for high compression of the main compartment without reducing the capacity or stability of the side pockets, but without the need for much use of compression straps across the front pocket?

FamilyGuy
03-25-2013, 23:46
I am not sure. I can tell you that Dan does make a bear canister specific top "flap" that will secure either a pad or canister nicely. The stays are very stiff but the lumbar and back padding (removable) is vertically quite stiff so you will not feel any "pull back" if the pack is empty.

With respect to the side bottle holsters, they "float" such that their use is not affected by what you have or don't have in the pack. They are removable and also can be angled so you can reach your bottle much easier.

In any event, a call to Dan seems to be your best bet.

LDog
03-26-2013, 01:03
You have a bit of a journey before you start talking "ultralight" packs. Most, if not all packs that fall into this category save a great deal of weight by minimizing any of the kind of traditional frame that efficiently transfers a lot of weight from your shoulders to your hips. You're not going to be happy trying to hump 40 lbs of gear in a pack like those.

I have a ULA Circuit I hiked with for about 650 miles last summer. As long as I kept the weight down below 30 lbs, it was a real comfortable pack. When I get north of 35, it's not. And it has an internal suspension hoop and a stay. Some of the packs in this market segment have nothing, and you have to learn how to pack it such that you get that weight transfer to your hips. Those are for people who are packing base weights under 10 lbs ...

The Circuit weighs 39 ozs, and has 6 ozs worth of stuff one can remove easily. To get to the point where you can use it for a five day trek - meaning your going to carry ~10 lbs of food and ~4 lbs of water - you need to get your base weight down to around 18 lbs or less, and limit the bulkiness of the stuff you're packing. That usually means letting go of a lot of stuff you want, but don't need, changing the way you think about hiking vs camping, and sometimes ponying up some bucks for new, lighter, less bulky gear.

The rewards are great. At the end of last summer, I had gotten my kit down to the point I was hard pressed to fill that Circuit with my summer load. I just got one of their even lighter OHM2s, replaced my sleeping bag with a quilt, and got a lighter, smaller pad. I can't wait to get on the trail with that kit!

Good luck

redseal
03-26-2013, 20:57
+1 on the ULA Circuit.

Del Q
03-26-2013, 21:02
Hot topic. New ULA Cuben Fiber are probably awesome. Amazing how gear you thought was done is not close to done.

I am leaving on Monday with Osprey Exos 58, have to say this is Cadillac level gear. Have a bad back and right hip, need more support, will be able to gauge after 12 days on the AT.

So far on all of my weekend hikes this is great gear, a LOT of thru hikers carry Osprey

k2basecamp
03-26-2013, 23:17
An alpenlite external frame pack. I have 2 extra if you are interested in purchasing one.

Nooga
03-27-2013, 19:45
Hot topic. New ULA Cuben Fiber are probably awesome. Amazing how gear you thought was done is not close to done.

I am leaving on Monday with Osprey Exos 58, have to say this is Cadillac level gear. Have a bad back and right hip, need more support, will be able to gauge after 12 days on the AT.

So far on all of my weekend hikes this is great gear, a LOT of thru hikers carry Osprey

It is hard to beat Osprey customer service!!!

jrabbott
03-27-2013, 21:44

+2 on Osprey Exos 58 It is the Cadillac of ALL Ultralight packs!!

Chaco Taco
03-29-2013, 21:53
Granite Gear Vapor Trail with lid and two hip pocket attachments is pretty awesome.

Dogwood
03-30-2013, 00:38
It should be obvious by now, with all the different shouting from the stands, their IS NO Holy Grail just lots of grails.

Sarcasm the elf
03-30-2013, 00:40
It should be obvious by now, with all the different shouting from the stands, their IS NO Holy Grail just lots of grails.

He was a carpenter, just look for the pack that a carpenter would carry.

Dogwood
03-30-2013, 08:55
Hopefully, all those who assume they have found the "Holy Grail' of backpacks have chosen WISELY.

Rasty
03-30-2013, 09:16
Hopefully, all those who assume they have found the "Holy Grail' of backpacks have chosen WISELY.

The search for the Holy Grail will never end! Isn't that the point?

Dogwood
03-30-2013, 09:47
A most noble quest. And, yes, so it continues.

stranger
04-06-2013, 08:10
Best packs I know of:
- ULA Circuit
- Granite Gear Crown 60

Both right around 34-36 ounces, great packs, compression and features goes to GG, suspension goes to ULA...

Mrs Baggins
04-06-2013, 08:41
I've been thru a Kelty that weighed over 7 lbs (can't remember the model name - just that I hated it), then a Gregory Deva that weighed almost 6 lbs (hated it, too), then a Gregory Jade that weighed just over 3 lbs, and then an REI Flash 65 that weighed 2 lbs 14 oz. I used the Flash for 4 years and decided that I could do better, so I returned it to REI last Thursday. Got my refund, went to the wall of packs, and within minutes was heartsick that I'd given mine up. There was nothing, nothing, for the money that was as light, had the capacity (over 3000 cu in), features, (2 big deep mesh pockets on each side, nice light top lid, bottom straps). Came home, spent hours researching other brands (Go-lite, Granite Gear, ULA, Gossamer Gear) - no, no, no and no. And I do not have the patience to order something sight unseen (if I can't see it, hold it, carry it around first), wait on it, get it, find out it's wrong, send it back.....So...went back to the REI site, checked the Outlet, and there was the Flash 65 on sale for less than I had just been refunded. Ordered it and it arrived yesterday - not even 24 hours after I had placed the order. I'm so happy again! Until something comes out that weighs less than my Flash, has at least as much if not more capacity, has the same big side pockets and top lid and is available in stores where I can touch it and try it on, I'll stick with it. I also pulled the frame sheet out this time, loaded it up for a one-nighter, and it felt even better than before.

Busky2
04-06-2013, 11:05
I have made a leap forward with my pack, I went from a 80oz. Jansport ext frame pack from my youth 1970s and moved to a custom pack from Crhis Zimmer of Zimmerbuilt. Weighting in at 35ozs for a very well made aprox. 65 liter pack that is of waterproof Xpac material and water resistant zippers on front and side pockets with roll down top main compartment, a full side mesh pocket plus a water bottle holder and a set of twin hip pockets and a padded camera pocket on the shoulder strap.

DandT40
04-06-2013, 12:27
has experience with....Osprey Aether 70?
That's my pack right now. I bought it because I take my kids backpacking and they carry a sleeping bag, pad, and extra cloths for themselves. I carry everything else for 3 people and being from the midwest we're geared up for 4 seasons of backpacking. It's a huge pack but does provide a lot of comfort for heavy large loads. Tons of straps and ways to carry things outside the pack too which is great for snow pants and other bulky gear like that. For a single person you could comfortably carry everything for a 7 day trip and probably have a little room left over depending on how comfortable you like to travel.

MuddyWaters
04-06-2013, 13:00
The perfect pack would be made of unobtainium, custom for you by Dan McHale.

aviator60
04-06-2013, 19:26
I've been thru a Kelty that weighed over 7 lbs (can't remember the model name - just that I hated it), then a Gregory Deva that weighed almost 6 lbs (hated it, too), then a Gregory Jade that weighed just over 3 lbs, and then an REI Flash 65 that weighed 2 lbs 14 oz. I used the Flash for 4 years and decided that I could do better, so I returned it to REI last Thursday. Got my refund, went to the wall of packs, and within minutes was heartsick that I'd given mine up. There was nothing, nothing, for the money that was as light, had the capacity (over 3000 cu in), features, (2 big deep mesh pockets on each side, nice light top lid, bottom straps). Came home, spent hours researching other brands (Go-lite, Granite Gear, ULA, Gossamer Gear) - no, no, no and no. And I do not have the patience to order something sight unseen (if I can't see it, hold it, carry it around first), wait on it, get it, find out it's wrong, send it back.....So...went back to the REI site, checked the Outlet, and there was the Flash 65 on sale for less than I had just been refunded. Ordered it and it arrived yesterday - not even 24 hours after I had placed the order. I'm so happy again! Until something comes out that weighs less than my Flash, has at least as much if not more capacity, has the same big side pockets and top lid and is available in stores where I can touch it and try it on, I'll stick with it. I also pulled the frame sheet out this time, loaded it up for a one-nighter, and it felt even better than before.

Did you really use an item for 4 years and then return it? Did they give you any kind of flak for that?

Venchka
04-06-2013, 22:48
Did you really use an item for 4 years and then return it? Did they give you any kind of flak for that?

REI doesn't do flak. Yes. Full refund if not happy. Ever.

Wayne

Venchka
04-06-2013, 23:14
According to my will, my grand kids get my original, pre-sellout, real, made in Bozeman Dana Design Terraplane and Leica camera. Not before. I'm still using both of them.

Mrs. Baggins,
Why didn't you take your old Flash to the pack wall first? Or Undo the refund?

Wayne

moytoy
04-07-2013, 09:05
The anti gravitational properties of unobtainium make the McHale suspension system useless.

FamilyGuy
04-07-2013, 12:43

Sadly, you are not worthy.

RCBear
04-07-2013, 18:29
The Holy Grail? www.mchalepacks.com (http://www.mchalepacks.com)

There is no substitute for perfection.

Mchale makes some killer packs. Not pretty in my opinion, but quality. When my baltoro dies, I'm gonna spring for a mystery ranch G series. Quality AND beauty! ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

FamilyGuy
04-08-2013, 11:14
Mchale makes some killer packs. Not pretty in my opinion, but quality. When my baltoro dies, I'm gonna spring for a mystery ranch G series. Quality AND beauty! ;)

I hate to say this, but I bet you find your Baltoro carries better than the MR. I am being serious. The belt, lumbar, and frame connection is better.

MR has an excellent return policy so no issue there!

RCBear
04-09-2013, 22:59
I hate to say this, but I bet you find your Baltoro carries better than the MR. I am being serious. The belt, lumbar, and frame connection is better.

MR has an excellent return policy so no issue there!

I've been very happy so far with my Gregory. It really does carry fantastic, and i got the deal of all deals on it so that just sweetened it. I have a couple of their z line that i day hike or light overnight and they have stood up well.

I don't expect to wear the baltoro out anytime soon.

Grampsb
04-10-2013, 07:32
Mchale packs
mchalepacks.com

Tipi Walter
04-10-2013, 08:13
Here are some of the packs I've either used or seen on the trail and discussed here---

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2006/Rob-Bush-At-Naked-Ground-Gap/i-jFrHpgw/0/L/56-28%20%20Cranbrook%20Leader%20with%20a%20Dana%20Des igns%20Astralplane%20Pack-L.jpg
An old Astralplane, the load hauler of old, on the Nutbuster trail in NC.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2002-2004/13-Backpacking-Trips-Of-2003/i-b2LsPXG/0/M/tj4861_102606_063415_191302-M.jpg
My old Terraplane LTW on the AT above Fontana.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2002-2004/The-64-Bag-Nights-of-2004/i-s2Nr2M6/0/L/29-2%20%20Snowdog%20on%20the%20Bob-L.jpg
The Terraplane in action in TN.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2007/15-Days-in-the-Cold-with-a/i-kqj8KRZ/0/L/DSC00682-L.jpg
The best big pack load hauler currently is made by Mystery Ranch and called either the G6000 or the G7000.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2007/Camping-on-the-Rocky-Flats/i-7wQT4x6/0/L/TRIP%2070%20011-L.jpg
The G6000 in action.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/Tipi-Walter-in-Solitude/i-rvtDGVp/0/L/TRIP%20130%20064-L.jpg
The Mystery Ranch Trance pack.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2011/Tipi-Walter-Warriors-Passage/i-D3qbMXT/0/L/TRIP%20128%20344-L.jpg
My buddy Patman wearing his Trance.

coach lou
04-10-2013, 08:25
A. L. I. C. E.

FamilyGuy
04-10-2013, 17:07
"The best big pack load hauler currently is made by Mystery Ranch and called either the G6000 or the G7000."

Innocent mistake. Many people get Mystery Ranch and Mchale mixed up.

I had a Trance. Serious lumbar slip.

RockDoc
04-10-2013, 21:45
This is not a useful discussion.
Pack choice is an individual problem. Depends on personal stature, season of trip, length of trip, economic limitations, and 20 other things. If you hike for enough years you will end up with a lot of packs (I must have 8), each one thought at the time to be a "holy grail".
The other thing is that there are always trade-offs. The ones with a lot of features are heavy. The light ones are just glorified bags. Choose your poison!

Blacksmith
01-29-2014, 23:12
I have no idea why this popped into my head when I read the title of the thread. Something from my teen years when I used to play a game called "Dungeons and Dragons" with my friends and I haven't played that game in more than 30 years, LOL! There was a spell called "Tenser's floating disc"~

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/floatingDisk.htm

q-tip
01-30-2014, 11:01
Granite Gear VC Crown 60---hits all the targets..

RITBlake
01-30-2014, 11:08
zpacks arc blast. lighten up and enjoy the ride

Tipi Walter
01-30-2014, 12:08
zpacks arc blast. lighten up and enjoy the ride

Arc Blast weight limit is 30 lbs. Will it work for a 20 day trip with a 40 lb food load, not counting everything else? (Sorry, couldn't resist).

colorado_rob
01-30-2014, 12:13
+1 on the ULA Circuit. ++, except mine is the ULA OHM 2.0. Perfect compromise of light weight and support/comfort/size. super-ultralight packs only work if EVERYTHING in your kit is ultralight, I'm not there yet with my 11 pound base weight, hope to be some day, but I like my little comforts for now, so ULA it is. I've owned maybe 15 other packs in my day, mostly Ospreys, but ULA is now my pack of choice, hands down.

colorado_rob
01-30-2014, 12:15
Arc Blast weight limit is 30 lbs. Will it work for a 20 day trip with a 40 lb food load, not counting everything else? (Sorry, couldn't resist). Really not sure how your constant referral to your 40 pounds of food applies in general to these white blaze thru-hiking-esque threads, but I'm sure you will continue to say this same thing over and over.

Tipi Walter
01-30-2014, 12:21
Really not sure how your constant referral to your 40 pounds of food applies in general to these white blaze thru-hiking-esque threads, but I'm sure you will continue to say this same thing over and over.

This is in the Gear forum and it's a general question of Packs---no reference to Thruhiking.

Here is Nawlunz quote---

In search of the "Holy Grail" of packs....
4) comfortable

I would consider a 20 day trip a "long trek". I would consider "large capacity for the long treks" to be in the big pack range. Ergo I would consider a 20 day unsupported trip to tie in with a 40 lb food load.

So, the real question is---what pack out there can carry 60-80lbs for a long trek and still be considered in the Ultralite range? How about this---

http://seekoutside.com/lightweight-backpacks/

FamilyGuy
01-30-2014, 22:26
Arc Blast weight limit is 30 lbs. Will it work for a 20 day trip with a 40 lb food load, not counting everything else? (Sorry, couldn't resist).

Is that with or without the hardcover books, tinned goods, and watermelon you normally carry?

tracedef
02-02-2014, 23:52

I carried 35 pounds in my Arc Blast with no issues going up the Kaupo Trail on South Maui with 7 liters of water .... :) This pic is from that trip.

LuckyMan
02-04-2014, 12:11
Check out the Gossamer Gear Mariposa

kennyxedge
02-11-2014, 09:20
Add me to the list of people recommending anything ULA.

Connie
11-10-2014, 16:15
If interested in volume for not over-compression of "fluffy" gear, you might consider the Katahdin Ultralite Pack or Granite Gear Slacker Packer Compression Drysack, or, Moonbow Gear Gearskin compression system pack. Each can be adjusted for a smaller volume load.

Connie
11-10-2014, 16:23
If interested in hauling food supplies, for example, look at lightweight versions of frame packs with a "shelf" built-in the bottom of the frame.

I have known people to travel like that, resupply a "food cache". Then, lightweight backpack more nights in the wilderness.

Me? I would rather travel heavy, on snow, using my Granite Gear Expedition Pulk, even if packed with more lightweight gear and food supplies, I don't stay out more than 10-nights, if unsupported.

By definition, more than 10-days is an expedition, with special food requirements "in play".

Rolex
11-10-2014, 19:39
Add me to the list of people recommending anything ULA.

Plus another one here.

TwistingInTheWind
11-17-2014, 17:02
I have found my personal Holy Grail.

I have back problems and need to keep the weight on my hips and off my shoulders.
I prefer an external frame pack. I don't see a lot of talk about external frames.. I didn't even see any for sale at REI store by me.
I like being able to strap my fishing pole and other things onto it.

I have been using my aluminum frame from the 70's my whole life and it is like an old friend. Like me though, it is breaking down as it gets older. The belt has no padding and cut into my hips... it was time for an upgrade.
Soooo... enter my new baby:

Thank you modern materials for allowing me to drop pounds off of my pack and stay with the style I prefer!
http://www.vargooutdoors.com/ti-arc-cf-backpack.html#.VGpZl8lIHat

And thank you to my wife who understands me...

Slo-go'en
11-18-2014, 00:59
Interesting. I kinda like the TI-ARC at only $299.99

I have found my personal Holy Grail.

Thank you modern materials for allowing me to drop pounds off of my pack and stay with the style I prefer!
http://www.vargooutdoors.com/ti-arc-cf-backpack.html#.VGpZl8lIHat

And thank you to my wife who understands me...

q-tip
11-18-2014, 11:49
I like everyting in my pack so got the Granite Gear Crown VC. Definitely my go to pack (have seven) . at 32 oz a great trade off for materials, size, weight, and versatility. My base wt is 13 to 15 lbs and just love it. Still $200 which is a fair investment.....

RED-DOG
11-18-2014, 12:00
Check out the Gossemer Gear Mariposa.

LDog
11-18-2014, 21:20
Vargo is suppose to be working on a roll top pack for their Tri Arc frame. Can't wait to see that. Meanwhile, ZPacks Arc Blast has my fancy in an external frame pack system.

L Dog

Connie
11-19-2014, 09:42
If hauling, not "backpacking" in the usual sense, Mystery Ranch has two pack frames that could be considered more lightweight than a standard military Alice.

I have seen an aftermarket composite frame offerred online for the Alice, if it all has to be on your back. Here is one: Modular Packing Discussion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6E2Dpas0ss

Maybe you want this: The StackPack-70
http://www.luxurylite.com/stackpackindex.html

It is a 2.5 lb backpack.