PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Rockfish Gap

Ickuss
08-23-2010, 23:31
My partner and I are starting the AT section of the park on Sept 26th North to South. We will be dropped off at the North end of the park by a relative who lives near Staunton. We are planning to end at Rockfish Gap entrance station and I was wondering if it is safe to leave a vehicle for a night or two at this station.

Shiraz-mataz
08-24-2010, 07:13
A buddy and I did the lower SNP a couple months ago and needed to leave a vehicle at the southern end of the park. I read on Whiteblaze that the parking at the entrance station is a little too exposed so we took the advice of parking at "The Inn at Afton." It is a run-down, ramshackle place just outside the SNP entrance station but they are accustom to hikers using their large, lighted parking lot for this purpose. They even have a form/waiver for you to fill out. I'll probably use it again soo when we do the northern BRP.

dcmidnight
08-24-2010, 08:12
FWIW I've heard the same advice about the Inn at Afton. I'm doing an overnighter this week parking at the 4H Center in Front Royal and getting a shuttle down South. If it works out well I may consider parking there and going N->S when I finally do the whole park.

10-K
08-24-2010, 09:06
I parked at the Afton Inn and stayed there too. Talk about a slum! I got the distinct impression they were just going to let it rot to the ground and then sell the property which is probably worth a thousand times more than the building.

Parking was good though and the people were nice.