PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question from a NuB

pgustaf249
08-24-2010, 00:02
Is it really necessary to have both a day pack for day hikes (or even overnighters) and a regular one for extended hikes? I suppose I would look goofy to have a great big pack for a day hike, out and back, but it seems one could get by with one pack and just carry less stuff for the overnighter? Show me what I'm missing here?

skinewmexico
08-24-2010, 00:21
You're taking all the fun out of gear addiction.

DapperD
08-24-2010, 00:23
Is it really necessary to have both a day pack for day hikes (or even overnighters) and a regular one for extended hikes? I suppose I would look goofy to have a great big pack for a day hike, out and back, but it seems one could get by with one pack and just carry less stuff for the overnighter? Show me what I'm missing here?No, it's not necessary, however if you plan to do both it is nice. Having a huge backpack for undertaking dayhikes results in overkill, and can make your hiking somewhat more challenging with a larger pack when you really don't need one. For a long distance journey, the daypack would probably be too small to hold all your gear. Think of it like having the right tools for the right application. If you have the money and can afford both, then get them both. I don't think acquiring a daypack is that expensive:-?

Bucherm
08-24-2010, 00:39
You're taking all the fun out of gear addiction.

QFMFT.

Hey, if he wants to haul around a 70 liter backpack on a 4 mile day hike, more power to him. :p

Franco
08-24-2010, 06:41
On my overnighters as a teenager (only one or two night max at a time and only in the middle of summer) I had no tent, no stove , no mat. The reason was that I had no spare money whatsoever so what I had with me was the same clothing I wore normally (in the village at 3000') and a borrowed sleeping bag and pack.
Would I do that again ? no, but it can be done.
So most of the time the answer is : no it isn't necessary, just nicer...
Franco

JAK
08-24-2010, 06:46
The Jam2 can be used for both. I had it a year before I discovered what those little loops and hooks on the bottom of the pack were for. I have a smaller pack for solo dayhikes or summer overnights, but the Jam2 is great for day hikes where you end up carrying all the extra clothes that kids tend to start off with.

daddytwosticks
08-24-2010, 07:32
Get yourself a decent pack for backpacking. Go to the dreaded Wal-Mart and get your self a cheap day pack for under $20 bucks. :)

Old Hiker
08-24-2010, 07:49
I try to use my big pack for all hiking trips, if for nothing else to try and get into shape for when I go long. I only put about 25 pounds in it, though, until I start to seriously train.

garlic08
08-24-2010, 09:58
I'm not a gear freak and I only own one pack. Who says you even need a pack at all? On many of my day hikes, I carry a water bottle in one hand if there aren't any clean sources on my route, maybe a handful of nuts in a pocket, a headlamp and first aid in the other pocket, and a rain jacket tied around my waist if rain is predicted. Only five essentials, for me, I guess. A map and compass, if needed, will fit in a back pocket. Depends on the hike and the risks.

On longer day hikes with more risk of exposure, I bring the large pack which doesn't work that great, but for me it's not worth buying another pack. My large pack is made of silnylon and only weighs nine ounces, so it's lighter than most commercial day packs, but it doesn't carry a small load very well.

Mags
08-24-2010, 10:02
I have a Jam II that's my all purpose pack (day hikes, backcountry skiing/hut trips and some backpacks when I need more space). It is fairly light (about 20 oz IIRC?) and is more durable than my silnylon Essence.

The Essence is good for on-trail backpacks solo. It is my gram weenie backpack for long hikes.

Otherwise? Yeah.I am doing what you are saying and using the Jam II for almost everything else (I do use a climbing pack now...the Jam II would be torn to shreds carrying rope, climbing equipment, etc. It is 'free' in the sense that I steal it, er borrow, from my girlfriend. :D)

The beauty of the Jam II is that I paid only $30 for it at the local Warehouse Sale 3 yrs ago! :)

Spokes
08-24-2010, 10:04
........ Show me what I'm missing here?

http://mrg.bz/i0ZUwN

leaftye
08-24-2010, 10:13
I would buy every interesting pack if I could. I believe I only have 6 backpacking packs right now, but that collection will grow.

To answer your question: no. Of course if your extended trip pack is huge, then you might want something for dayhikes and such. Now if you go hardcore ultralight, your pack will be so small and light that there wouldn't be much reason to get an even smaller pack for your little trips.

Tennessee Viking
08-24-2010, 10:34
I started hiking with a regular Jansport school backpack. Convenient but not very suitable.

I then switched over to a cheap daypack from Wal-Mart. Only $25. They wear pretty fast. But who cares, they are cheap. I only carry a shovel, TP, lunch (sandwich/apple), a few gatorade packets, protein bar, 2 liters of water, headlamp, and emergency poncho/blanket on a regular basis.

For one month, I took my external frame when I first got it out for day hikes just to get break it in and get used to it. It does help to carry some weight in it, like extra water or rocks, just to get a feel of a fully stocked pack.

If you really want to go lightweight, just look into a hydration pack. Very compact/minimal.

leaftye
08-24-2010, 10:38
If you really want to go lightweight, just look into a hydration pack. Very compact/minimal.

If he really wanted to go superlight, he could get a Zpack Zero. It weighs 2 ounces.

scope
08-24-2010, 11:09
Is it really necessary to have both a day pack for day hikes (or even overnighters) and a regular one for extended hikes? I suppose I would look goofy to have a great big pack for a day hike, out and back, but it seems one could get by with one pack and just carry less stuff for the overnighter? Show me what I'm missing here?

In general, a pack will be more comfortable when its packed close to or at capacity, but not over capacity. You can get by with one big pack (no need for "great big") for all overnite trips, extended or not, where you're carrying shelter and bedding. Most good packs have compression straps to accommodate this so that they carry better at less than capacity. However, for day trips, first of all you don't need to carry much, and second there are just too many good cheap options that would work better and not make you feel like a tool out there.

curtisvowen
08-24-2010, 11:39
Some hostels like ours, Standing Bear Farm, just north of the Smokies will offer loaner day-packs for thru-hikers who want to do a day-hike while here.

cevans
08-24-2010, 13:19
My granite gear nimbus ozone will collapse down to the size of a day pack, and weighs less than most day packs you buy,,and is way more comfortable to wear on a 4 to 8 mile day hike than a day back will wear. my 2 cents

earlyriser26
08-24-2010, 13:27
My pack is very small, 40 L. Good for day hikes and 3-4 max. Works perfect for both.

10-K
08-24-2010, 13:37
I've been using this for a few months and love it: http://www.camelbak.com/en/sports-recreation/spring-summer-hydration-packs/2010-octane-18x.aspx

Carries just enough stuff for an all-day day hike and uses a regular 2L capacity camelbak reservoir.

Appalachian Tater
08-24-2010, 19:12
Is I suppose I would look goofy to have a great big pack for a day hike,

Hikers look goofy anyway as a rule. A smaller pack that is full rides (carries?) better than a large one that is almost empty in my opinion but it's no big deal. You don't need an expensive pack for a day hike, though, any old pack will do. This time of the year you can pick one up in chain drugstores or office supply stores or discount stores pretty cheap, during the back-to-school sales, $20 or less. Those packs are fine for a bottle of water, a small emergency kit, a jacket, a guidebook, etc.

Franco
08-24-2010, 20:51
Goofy ?
Not me.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/odds/External-pack.jpg
Anyway note that some externals , like my expedition grade version, can be a bit large to be used as a day pack.
Note that the porter behind me is having a good look at my pack thinking that he should also use something like this.
Franco

Sierra Echo
08-24-2010, 20:54
I have a granite gear day pack and a kelty backpack. I also have a High Sierra pack that I keep in my car that has misc odds and ends that i might want to take on a hike. I'm trying to come up with a reason to get another pack. I am open to suggestions! :sun

STICK
08-24-2010, 21:15
I just got an REI 25 L Trail day pack. They are on clearance for $29. Worth checking out...

http://www.rei.com/product/797944

I have only used the pack once, but it was very nice. I filled everything for an overnight trip in it (except for my tiny 8 x 10 sil tarp ~ I stayed in a shelter) and it weighed 14 lbs. It worked out great. Here is a review and a video I did of everything I fit inside the pack before my trip:

http://stick13.wordpress.com/gear/my-current-gear/backpack/rei-25-l-trail-pack/

sbhikes
08-25-2010, 16:34

If you are asking if it's necessary to have two kinds of packs sitting in your closet so that when you go for a day hike, you use the day hike pack and when you go for a backpack you use your big pack, then in my opinion the answer is yes. You can get a small day pack easily at the thrift store if you are concerned with the expense.

If you're asking should you carry a regular daypack with you on a backpack trip so you can base-camp and then do dayhikes, then my answer would be no. Too much unnecessary weight. Instead, modify your sleeping bag stuff sack so that it has lightweight straps and then use that for dayhiking. Some packs have a detachable lid you can use as a smaller pack, too. You might be able to remove your waist belt and use it for day hikes. Or you can just do your base-camp dayhikes using your larger pack, although sometimes I find this to be kind of annoying if I'm using one of my bigger packs.

Old Hiker
08-25-2010, 16:39
Goofy ?
Not me.
Anyway note that some externals , like my expedition grade version, can be a bit large to be used as a day pack.
Note that the porter behind me is having a good look at my pack thinking that he should also use something like this.
Franco

I think the porter behind you is thinking: What a wimp! That load can't be more than 100 pounds. My dead granny can carry more! :eek: ;)

Sierra Echo
08-25-2010, 18:47
Goofy ?
Not me.
Franco

I'm in awe of how its strapped to his head! Thats gotta hurt! :eek:

Franco
08-25-2010, 19:27
"I think the porter behind you is thinking: What a wimp! That load can't be more than 100 pounds. My dead granny can carry more! :eek: ;)"
You are correct....

That load was probably around 70lbs because our porters were instructed to stay below that weight. The tour organiser was a mate of mine that happens to be a Gurung (Gurkha)
His people are the 'locals" in that region. (Gurung like Sherpa is also a surname)
I managed to do about 200 feet with that on flat ground. The kitchen porter carried that down about 3000' that day using beach sandals whilst several of our boot equipped group members were busy falling on their backside on the very slippery trail.

As I stated above, any "pack" can do, but some are easier to carry than others.

Franco

Mags
08-25-2010, 19:29
I'm in awe of how its strapped to his head! Thats gotta hurt! :eek:

Old school tumpline...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumpline

If there are any Hemingway fans out there, "Big Two Hearted River" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Two-Hearted_River) specifically mentions a tumpline....

And in "everything old is new again" category...

http://www.uncrate.com/men/gear/outdoor/patagonia-tumpline/
http://www.coolhunting.com/design/patagonia-tumpl.php

pgustaf249
08-27-2010, 23:25
Thanks for all the input. I went ahead and got a new day pack (The North Face, Solaris 40). Don't have a big pack. Still emoting over those.