PDA

View Full Version : whats the next step?

taylorbena
11-22-2004, 17:35
alright, I have started doing the research to hike the trail this spring. I have bought some books from the ATC, I've done my share of research, I have even bought my cookware I will need and I really want to go. I just cant make what feels like a total commitment. Any suggestions on how to commit?

MileMonster
11-22-2004, 17:48
My suggestions -

One good way is to tell everyone you know that you are going to do it. Not that you're thinking about, but that you are going to. That will make it harder to back out of and make you feel really commited to it. Having a partner that you're hiking with helps, too. That way you have to back out on a partner to back out of the hike. Number three - make some sort of financial investment in the hike. Go buy all your gear, for instance. Nothing commits you to a project like a financial investment. Finally, start doing some harder planning. Make spreadsheets of where you might be at various daily-mile averages, start planning menus, make a list of cool places all up and down the Trail at which you want to stay including towns, hostels, shelters, campsites. That'll realy get you in the mood.

chris
11-22-2004, 18:15
If you are having problems now, don't commit. Instead, plan on a section hike, like say Springer to Hot Springs, or better, Springer to Damascus. See how you like it. If you want to go on, do so. Otherwise, don't. Everyone is a section hiker until they reach Special K (or Springer). So, hike until you feel like stopping. Then, take a day off, get clean, dry, warm, and fill your belly. If you still want to stop, do so. Just remember not to make a final decision when you are cold, wet, and miserable.

SalParadise
11-22-2004, 18:18
I'll echo what MileMonster said, pick a date you'll leave then tell your family and friends and even tell them the date. You can always pick a different departure time later if needs be. And if you're flying there, now might even be a good time to get your ticket cheap.

I think we all had that nervousness. Plus when the time gets closer, the nervousness combines with excitement and anticipation and you'll be a wreck until you finally reach Springer.

hikerltwt
11-22-2004, 18:22
Just start walking north(or south). If you want to thru hike, you will!

Yo-YO

weary
11-22-2004, 18:22
alright, I have started doing the research to hike the trail this spring. I have bought some books from the ATC, I've done my share of research, I have even bought my cookware I will need and I really want to go. I just cant make what feels like a total commitment. Any suggestions on how to commit?

Well, it doesn't take total commitment to make it to Katahdin, or at least it didn't for me. I hiked the trail mostly out of curiosity -- curiosity to see if physically I could, curiosity about the southern Appalachians, curiosity about the trail experience....

Last minute family problems forced me to delay my start by two weeks and for awhile threatened to cancel my walk.

But I was also more than three times older than you are. And I had the complication of meeting an 11-year-old at Harpers Ferry and hiking with him for the next two months at least. The delays and some physical problems forced me to bypass the trail through Southern New England, but I managed to summit Katahdin six months and three days after starting.

What was the key? I found I just enjoyed the freedom of the trail and hated to see it eventually end.

I wouldn't worry about finding "total commitment." The trail is the trail. Despite the research you and even Minnesota has done, the trail will be a surprise. It was for me and I had been backpacking for years. It was for almost everyone I met in Georgia and North Carolina. A few driven souls will stick with it, regardless of whether the trail meets their expectations or not.

Most will stay with the trail if they find it enjoyable, despite the surprises. Except for the committed few, the rest will find an excuse to quit. You won't know for sure what your commitment is until you experience the trail for a few weeks -- or months.

Weary

rocket04
11-22-2004, 18:27
I'l agree with others that telling people you're going and when is a good way to not back out. Depends on the kind of person you are, but I'd personally hate to have to later explain to a bunch of people why I'm still home.

Ridge
11-22-2004, 18:49
Good luck, try to pack light and only the essentials. Have boots broken in good, have a spare pair of broken in ones to be mailed later.

Doctari
11-22-2004, 18:53
Just remember not to make a final decision when you are cold, wet, and miserable.

A mistake I have made before, Damn it!

Heed this advice & you will have a long FUN hike.

Ignore this, well think of the best line in Casablanca: "You will regret it, etc"

Suffice it to say, if I had listened to this, My next section hike would start about 30 miles north of Damascus instead of 40 miles south of Kincora. :rolleyes:

Doctari.

MOWGLI
11-22-2004, 19:28

**** or get off the privy. :D

If you are having second thoughts, maybe a thru-hike is not for you.

Or look at it another way. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Sorry for the cliches.

A-Train
11-22-2004, 19:53
It is hard to distingush between pre-hike jitters and utter doubt about a thru-hike. I'd say almost all potential thru-hikers go thru bouts of uncertainty and questioning as to whether or not they are "ready" or commited to the hike. I certainly had some days before the hike, where I was pretty scared as to what I was about to take on. But at the same time, I did know I really wanted to take on this adventure.
Whether you know you're ready or still not sure, I'd recommend reading journals on trailjournals.com It's truly the best way to get an accurate picture of every day life on the trail, both the good and the bad. There are enough journals on there now a days where you can find someone to match your style of both personality and speed. They are good reads, some of them. Besides that, yea picking a date is about the best way to commit. Good luck and ask away on this site!

Skeemer
11-23-2004, 10:12
A-Train wrote:
I'd recommend reading journals on trailjournals.com It's truly the best way to get an accurate picture of every day life on the trail, both the good and the bad. There are enough journals on there now a days where you can find someone to match your style of both personality and speed. They are good reads, some of them. Besides that, yea picking a date is about the best way to commit. Good luck and ask away on this site!

Well said A-Train! The only thing I would add to this would be, "you know your hooked when you can't wait for the next entry of those you're following." I got most of my gear from "listening" to hikers." One guy kissed his Feathered Friends bag...another loved his Nomad Lite tent...another bragged about his P1 backpack. I took a guy about my age and build, then set up a day to day plan on an excel spread sheet. I figured I could at least duplicate the miles he did. Just reading how some were enjoying it so while at the same time struggling (Big Red) was a true inspiration. I can't say enough good about Trailjournals.com...it made my hike. Leif and Zipdrive have done a real sevice to the Trail.

I would be wrong if I didn't mention Whiteblaze, but I didn't visit it as much before my thru-hike as I did after. Besides, I tend to get a little more political, opinionated and personal here.

Dainon
11-23-2004, 10:58
As another total rookie planning a section hike (Springer - Hot Springs, departing May 14), I can only offer a bit of advice, but perhaps mine might be on point given our similar situation.

First, I think that Whiteblaze provides better advice and information than any book. As you probably know, most threads are narrow, and thus are able to answer very specific questions from a very wide range of opinions. I would suggest that you make use of the search engine whenever possible. Nearly all of the questions that I've had have numerous threads on that topic. And needless to say, reading Whiteblaze is much cheaper than buying books.

Second, I've learned a lot from trailjournals.com, particularly in regard to getting a better idea of what to expect on the trail. I've read dozens of journals and I always find them interesting and helpful.

In regard to commiting to hike, I would suggest that you move slowly when buying gear until you are almost certain that it's what you want to do. I started by buying clothes and boots because even if I backed out of going, I could still use the stuff for other purposes. Same with making a Pepsi stove -- even if I backed out, the only money spent was for a roll of tape. In other words, I bought the cheapest stuff first. I also bought as much used equipment as I could -- again, the idea being to reduce the loss of money should I later decide that it's not for me.

Finally, there is probably no substitute for practice hikes. I started with 5-10 mile hikes carrying nothing, now I'm doing 10-12 mile day hikes carrying a pack that I rent ($7.50 per day) and 30 lbs. of junk just to see if my knees can handle it. In early spring, I'll do a couple of 2-3 day hikes with my complete gear as a "shake down hike." For me, I vowed not to take any single thing on the trail that I haven't tested out and learned how to use -- I don't want any bad surprises with my gear. That includes food, too -- lots of the foods that I thought that I would take I've tossed out because I don't like the taste.

Anyway, that's my .02 worth. Good luck to you.

taylorbena
11-23-2004, 17:41
thanks for the advice, I think everrything will turn out great.

MOWGLI
11-23-2004, 18:09
Whether you know you're ready or still not sure, I'd recommend reading journals on trailjournals.com It's truly the best way to get an accurate picture of every day life on the trail, both the good and the bad.

In late '99 early '00 when I was planning my hike, I picked out a journalist who was about my age, and who was hiking in about the same timeframe as me. That was Waterboy '99.

What I would suggest you do, is follow the journal of someone who seems to share some of your interests & values, and seems to be having the type of experience you're looking for.

Although I found following a journalist helpful, there is absolutely no substitute for backpacking experience in terms of preparing you for a long distance hike.

chris
11-23-2004, 18:45
Although I found following a journalist helpful, there is absolutely no substitute for backpacking experience in terms of preparing you for a long distance hike.

That's damn right.