PDA

View Full Version : Problems with people?

Sheryll
08-24-2010, 08:07
Are there ever any problems with people on the trail? Does anybody ever try to start trouble? Stealing? Or is it just one big happy family?:)

thanks
Sheryll

Helios
08-24-2010, 08:15
I have never experienced anything in the way of stealing on the trail. In trail towns, occasionally, there have been cases of theft. The worst I've seen on trail is one hiker attempting to yogi food from another.

leaftye
08-24-2010, 08:16
Hikers are pretty cool. The two main things are to keep your gear with you when you're in town and to sleep away from roads.

Grampie
08-24-2010, 08:17
Most long distance hikers you meet on the AT a great folks. Unfortunately, like the rest of socity, every once and a while a bad apple will turn up.:-?

fredmugs
08-24-2010, 08:39
I think people have a different mentality while they are out hiking. There's no dog eat dog pressure going on. Plus we're normally too tired to start anything.

10-K
08-24-2010, 08:57
I keep my valuables (money, credit/debit cards, ID, etc.) close at all times.

It's not that I don't trust people, it's just common sense.

MattBuck30
08-24-2010, 09:26
The only problems you may run into are with the locals in the small trail towns. My buddy had his stove stolen while we were doing laundry in town once. Other times we would run into the local drunks who would be more annoying than anything. I'd say 99% of hikers on the trail are very cool, but from time to time you will run into someone who doesnt have supplies/money and they will try to "yogi" from you.

Spokes
08-24-2010, 09:27
It's sorta like traveling with the circus.

You'll worry more about running out of toilet paper than theft.

garlic08
08-24-2010, 09:37
I can't say I've loved everyone I met. There are sure a whole lot of different people out there, like almost every cross-section of society. If there was any friction, it was just personality conflict, or something minor like inconsiderate cell phone usage or not controlling a dog. And it's not like that's common--I can only think of a handful of times that's happened in six years of long distance hiking.

I know I've bothered people by wanting to talk when they want privacy, for instance. I remember accidentally startling a slow hiker when approaching from behind (I was startled a bit, too, not paying much attention), and I just knew we'd never get along after that so I kept moving and never saw him again. Stuff like that is bound to happen.

I've never seen anyone "start" trouble.

Slo-go'en
08-24-2010, 10:15
If you can avoid people with problems, you'll have no problems with people.

peakbagger
08-24-2010, 10:23
I have a lot more trust of the hiking community than the communities at large. Generally the only issues were close to town or at shelters near roads. There are several shelters in PA that are party spots and are best avoided even though the caretakers try to keep an eye on them. In general, its best to carry an tent and use it, as shelters can bring out the worst in some folks. As thruhikers tend to be more trusting and are quite predictable, there are some local folks who occasionally take advantage by stealing packs at trailcrossings or accessible campsites, this is far outweighed by the number of locals who go out of their way to help thruhikers. Unfortunately good news travels far slower than bad news so the bad events get amplified.

On the other hand, there are a small minority of "thruhikers" who think the rules of social conduct dont apply to them. They are the ones who get drunk or drugged at facilites in towns along the way and trash the places or decide that the rules dont apply to them which gets these services shut down. Usually they get filtered out down south, but some just refine their "skills" as they go along. The thruhiker population usually figures them out quickly enough, but unfortunately very rarely will they confront a "bad apple" and instead will elect to avoid them.

Many Walks
08-24-2010, 10:24
If you can avoid people with problems, you'll have no problems with people.
Well said! We met a lot of great people and only one who was trouble. He posed as a distance hiker, but ripped off hostels and any hikers whose valuables he could get close to. Word traveled fast and he had to keep on the move as people caught on to him. Once he yellow blazed up the trail, life was good again in the hiker community.

sbhikes
08-24-2010, 11:12
If you keep to yourself you can avoid all the drama. It's easy to get sucked into the drama of other thru-hikers and then you'll find yourself under pressure to conform to someone else's hike. Also, stay away from places people can drive and camp and stay away from yahoos.

bronconite
08-24-2010, 12:22
I'm curious about this thought process.

The only problems you may run into are with the locals in the small trail towns.
So you won't have any problems with locals in large trail towns, or with any hikers on the trail or in any town, small or large? Why do you think small town locals are more apt to be troublemakers?

My buddy had his stove stolen while we were doing laundry in town once.
Did you or someone else find out who did it? Do you think it was a local or another hiker, and why?

Other times we would run into the local drunks who would be more annoying than anything.
Are they any more annoying than non-local hiker drunks? (either way, they may be much less annoying if you choose to get drunk with them:D)

I'd say 99% of hikers on the trail are very cool, but from time to time you will run into someone who doesnt have supplies/money and they will try to "yogi" from you.
Maybe the hiker trying to yogi from you yesterday, while all your gear was on your back, will be the one who steals your stove tomorrow, while you gear is unattended. And maybe it will be a small town local. I'm just curious why you assume it was the local.:-?

I'm not picking on you. I'm just curious about your thought process.

Spokes
08-24-2010, 13:23
I'm always curious about the "Is It Safe" type posts and feel like saying "Well, if you have to ask, maybe you should just stay home".

I mean you may have to:

deal with funky people, bees, snakes, mice, dirty shelters, get wet, cold, thirsty, smell bad, not wash your hair for days, get a blister, fall down, meet a weirdo or a vegan for that matter, pay too much for a room in a sleazy motel, take a crap in an open-air privy, burn your tongue with hot cocoa, sprain an ankle.....

...the possibilities are endless!

Most of the time, threads like these do nothing but perpetuate the paranoia.

Blue Jay
08-24-2010, 13:25
and stay away from yahoos.

Now if I could do that OFF the trail, life would be perfect.:banana

10-K
08-24-2010, 13:27

I agree, with the caveat that just because you're in the woods doesn't mean that everyone becomes honest or that you can disregard normal precautions you'd take anywhere else.

For instance, I don't leave my pack with all my money, etc. in a shelter with people I just met while I run down the hill to get water.

I'll leave my pack, but I will discretely remove my valuables and take them with me.

Tenderheart
08-24-2010, 14:31
Are there ever any problems with people on the trail? Does anybody ever try to start trouble? Stealing? Or is it just one big happy family?:)

thanks
Sheryll

I'll have to say that I was very lucky in 2000. Only met one jerk, and he owned a motel in North Adams, MA.

litefoot 2000

Blue Jay
08-24-2010, 15:14
I'm always curious about the "Is It Safe" type posts and feel like saying "Well, if you have to ask, maybe you should just stay home".

I agree 100%. The only yahoos I saw out there this year was one peeing on the outside of a shelter and another one peeing on the side of a tent platform. What's up with that? Pigs yes, but hardly dangerous, just massively stupid.

Appalachian Tater
08-24-2010, 19:08
Of course there are some thruhikers who cause problems. Usually alcohol is involved.

DapperD
08-24-2010, 22:12

thanks
SheryllIn a perfect world everyone would get along, wether it be on the trail, on the streets, or in the towns and cities. Unfortunately this is not a perfect world, and where there are people, there are going to be problems. Obviousely the trail is not going to have the crime, problems, etc...of a city, but that is not to say you can completely let your guard down anywhere. Take common sense precautions as you would everywhere you go. Be polite to people but be careful what you say, especially if you are hiking alone. Try not to give out too much information, such as the fact you are alone, and where you plan to camp. From what I understand, the people who are out there hiking, like the majority of Thru-Hikers, for instance, tend to want to look out for one another, especially if they get to know you, and you fall in with their group. There are going to be people who will be drinking and partying while out there, wether they are Thru-Hiking or not. Where there is drinking, etc...there is going to be a greater chance of unpredictable behavior. This is where a lot of problems can occur. As other's have suggested, the way to avoid trouble is by avoiding it in the first place. Stay away from people who for whatever reason do not seem to be acting rational. If you are receiving strange vibes from a person or group of individuals, then it would pay to listen to your feelings and move on. If you can start the trail with a partner(s), that can help somewhat in the initial stages of the journey if you are lacking in confidence to begin your hike solo. The Apalachian Trail is going to usually be a safe place to be, much safer than being in the cities. However, it is never going to be 100% safe and caution still needs to be applied while out there so one can hopefully avoid any problems that might arise due to individuals committing thefts and/or problems.

kayak karl
08-24-2010, 22:37
TRUST NOBODY! anywhere, anytime until in your heart you know they are honest. even people posting on this thread. Trust them??? trust me??? what is on your back is your life. trust it to nobody.

Tractor
08-24-2010, 22:38
I agree with Leaftye and 10-K, actually almost everyone, on this one. If I might interject an odd add though, having met a few hikers who were in the throws of a tick borne illness they can seem a bit "off" due to fever and such until they get their meds.. No theft, violence or other such silliness just scary to some at the time. Carry on.

MattBuck30
08-25-2010, 09:39
bronconite....The reason I said "small towns" and "locals" is because we only had these types of problems in small towns and with locals of those towns. When my buddy's stove was stolen, we were in town with no other hikers around. We did not find out who did it, but unless it was a hiker who could disappear like a ghost, it couldnt have been one (we used the stove the morning before we walked into town, so we know it was on us when we left the trail). In reference to the local drunks, 1) I either saw where they lived or 2) they let us know they were locals. This was mainly a problem in the South. Some of these people lived in hotels along the trail. On 2 separate occassions at different trail towns, the police had to be involved for domestic disturbances. On another occasion, a group of locals in a small town were out drinking along the AT at 10am on a sunday, burning their trash and they began to harrass us. Obviously, I had more good experiences than bad. Just simply letting ppl know that most of the problems we ran into were in the small towns w/ the locals.

Spokes
08-25-2010, 09:54
TRUST NOBODY! anywhere, anytime until in your heart you know they are honest. even people posting on this thread. Trust them??? trust me??? what is on your back is your life. trust it to nobody.

http://mrg.bz/tiZG09

Blue Jay
08-25-2010, 19:58

And the extreme paranoia begins.:welcome

Jester2000
08-25-2010, 22:11
I'll have to say that I was very lucky in 2000. Only met one jerk, and he owned a motel in North Adams, MA.

litefoot 2000

Wait a minute. I didn't own a motel.

Of course there are some thruhikers who cause problems. Usually alcohol is involved.

And yet, usually when alcohol is involved, there aren't any problems. But every time there is a problem involving alcohol, an ******* is involved. I blame the ********.

In a perfect world everyone would get along, wether it be on the trail, on the streets, or in the towns and cities. Unfortunately this is not a perfect world, and where there are people, there are going to be problems. Obviousely the trail is not going to have the crime, problems, etc...of a city, but that is not to say you can completely let your guard down anywhere. Take common sense precautions as you would everywhere you go. Be polite to people but be careful what you say, especially if you are hiking alone. Try not to give out too much information, such as the fact you are alone, and where you plan to camp. From what I understand, the people who are out there hiking, like the majority of Thru-Hikers, for instance, tend to want to look out for one another, especially if they get to know you, and you fall in with their group. There are going to be people who will be drinking and partying while out there, wether they are Thru-Hiking or not. Where there is drinking, etc...there is going to be a greater chance of unpredictable behavior. This is where a lot of problems can occur. As other's have suggested, the way to avoid trouble is by avoiding it in the first place. Stay away from people who for whatever reason do not seem to be acting rational. If you are receiving strange vibes from a person or group of individuals, then it would pay to listen to your feelings and move on. If you can start the trail with a partner(s), that can help somewhat in the initial stages of the journey if you are lacking in confidence to begin your hike solo. The Apalachian Trail is going to usually be a safe place to be, much safer than being in the cities. However, it is never going to be 100% safe and caution still needs to be applied while out there so one can hopefully avoid any problems that might arise due to individuals committing thefts and/or problems.

This is a great post.

rainmaker
08-25-2010, 22:57

I mean you may have to:

deal with funky people, bees, snakes, mice, dirty shelters, get wet, cold, thirsty, smell bad, not wash your hair for days, get a blister, fall down, meet a weirdo or a vegan for that matter, pay too much for a room in a sleazy motel, take a crap in an open-air privy, burn your tongue with hot cocoa, sprain an ankle.....

...the possibilities are endless!

Spokes,
You forgot ticks, lots and lots of ticks. BTW, Madame and I will leave out Saturday for our annual section hike, Mass. and Vermont.
Ma and Pa Rainmaker
Lancaster, SC

IronGutsTommy
08-28-2010, 00:22
ive only seen two sketchy people on trails. both were walking without packs of any sort. Both times they were well ahead of me, so I stopped for a short rest, problem solved. Lots of good posts here, especially the ones about the downsides and brewing paranoia that such threads keep alive.

coyote13
08-28-2010, 20:49
I am a bit over 6' tall and 335 pounds off mostly tattooed flesh. I have a shved head and mustache's that hang 6 inches below my chin.
I am sure maby on the trail find me intimidating until they take the time to talk to me. Other than defending myself I would not hurt a fly (Fleas,ticks and skeeters yes but fly no).
That being said I myself lean to the side of caution upon first meeting someone new and try not to disclose too much info,nor do i usually stay in a shelter with just myself and 2 or 3 unknown people using my hammock instead.( hammock is new this year but tent was used before)
Just be careful and be alert but HAVE FUN!!!
that is why we are here ...right?

Jester2000
08-29-2010, 03:55
I am a bit over 6' tall and 335 pounds off mostly tattooed flesh. I have a shved head and mustache's that hang 6 inches below my chin.
I am sure maby on the trail find me intimidating until they take the time to talk to me. Other than defending myself I would not hurt a fly (Fleas,ticks and skeeters yes but fly no).
That being said I myself lean to the side of caution upon first meeting someone new and try not to disclose too much info,nor do i usually stay in a shelter with just myself and 2 or 3 unknown people using my hammock instead.( hammock is new this year but tent was used before)
Just be careful and be alert but HAVE FUN!!!
that is why we are here ...right?

You'll be fine. Enjoy the trip!

TOW
08-29-2010, 07:41

thanks
Sheryll
There are good and bad no matter where you are and the hiking community has its share. In fact LEO friends of mine tell me there is a bad hiker heading this way right now. Whether that is true or not remains to be seen but the truth of the matter is that there are bad people on the trail from time to time and if your gut tells you to get out of harms way listen to it......

Blue Jay
08-29-2010, 08:10
There are good and bad no matter where you are and the hiking community has its share. In fact LEO friends of mine tell me there is a bad hiker heading this way right now.

Nope their warning is a bit late. I was there late June.

Jonnycat
08-30-2010, 20:22
The biggest problem I encounter is idiots who sneak up behind me, get about two feet from me, and *then* announce that they are there.

I usually just push them off of the cliff.

BrianLe
08-31-2010, 08:06
"The biggest problem I encounter is idiots who sneak up behind me, get about two feet from me, and *then* announce that they are there."

I've been on both ends of this issue. It's certainly startling when a voice suddenly speaks to you from a couple of feet back, even if they're speaking quietly. It's also easy to forget that when you're the one coming up from behind.

These days when I find myself catching up to someone, I clack my trekking poles together a couple of times (or more if needed) a few more feet back. Hearing a sound like that --- from a bit further back --- somehow seems a lot less startling, the first reaction is more along the line of "what's that?", rather than to jump out of your skin.

Jonnycat
08-31-2010, 10:13
These days when I find myself catching up to someone, I clack my trekking poles together a couple of times (or more if needed) a few more feet back. Hearing a sound like that --- from a bit further back --- somehow seems a lot less startling, the first reaction is more along the line of "what's that?", rather than to jump out of your skin.

That is one of the things I do as well, along with clearing my throat, coughing, et cetera.

I do this when I *first* see the person I am approaching from behind, from as far away of a distance as I can (20 to 30 yards). I like your description of the reaction; this gives them time to process the new entity without it being a "fight or flight" response (which is just plain old rude).

Jester2000
08-31-2010, 13:41
That is one of the things I do as well, along with clearing my throat, coughing, et cetera.

I do this when I *first* see the person I am approaching from behind, from as far away of a distance as I can (20 to 30 yards). I like your description of the reaction; this gives them time to process the new entity without it being a "fight or flight" response (which is just plain old rude).

These warnings don't work, though, when the person is wearing an Ipod turned all the way up to eleven.

daddytwosticks
08-31-2010, 16:06
I like to get up real close behind them and poke 'em with my hiking stick! :)

Sierra Echo
08-31-2010, 16:08

Try farting. That always gets someones attention!

Jester2000
08-31-2010, 16:30
Try farting. That always gets someones attention!

No, no, no. You do that to people behind you. It's called crop dusting.