PDA

View Full Version : Car Camping Tent for the Family

SMSP
08-24-2010, 11:50
Backpacking with backpacking type tents is primarily my deal at the moment. The other half is not interested in it. She has done a lot of car camping growing up, but she doesn’t desire it as much as I do. With having a 3 year-old and counting. I want to do some car camping as well and create some unforgettable memories.

I have been looking at the car camping size tents, 4-6 people type. I have looked at REI's line, mainly the Kingdom and the Base Camp. I really like the Base Camp b/c it comes with both vestibules. The Kingdom has one vestibule coverage and one has to buy the other, putting the cost around $470. And then, REI (damn you), is having a Labor Day Sale coming up and the Base Camp 6 will be $290, $110 less than their retail of $400. The Kingdom and the Base Camp have the same floor space of 83 sq.ft.

Anyway, I saw Stick's review of the Kingdom, anybody out there got the Base Camp 4 or 6?

SMSP

Feral Bill
08-24-2010, 11:59
Also worth considering is the Eureka Equinox 6. See Campmor. We find ours to be excellent.

mister krabs
08-24-2010, 12:35
I've looked at the base camp, the Equinox, TNF, SD & BA family tents. I bought an alps mountaineering taurus 5 outfitter. Quality of materials was better than the eureka & the REI, as good as the other big boys. Setup was easier & faster and I have not gotten wet in heavy rain.

REI outlet has the Alps Neptune for 125$ (http://www.rei.com/product/798691) It's worth much more, (about 220 IMO) has a much simpler setup with only two aluminum poles and two full vestibules on a fly that comes all the way to the ground. I highly recommend it. It is only 63 sq ft + 25 vestibules and you cannot stand up in it if that matters to you. Remember that a huge tent is a cold tent and a hassle to set up and take down.

skinewmexico
08-24-2010, 15:30
I'd look at a Coleman tent from Walmart, or something from Sam's club. All it has to do is keep you dry, and keep bugs out, why spend over $100? I will say that the Eureka Equinox 6 is the toughest tent I've ever seen. I was on a Boy Scout campout, and Friday night a front blew through, and we had 60-70 mph gusts up and down a canyon. By Sunday morning, only 2 tents out of around 100 were still standing, an Equinox 6 and a Cabela's outfitters dome.

SMSP
08-24-2010, 21:00
The Alps Neptune would be a good choice. The only thing it doesnt have is complete stand up room. But not a show stealer. May consider it, thanks.

SMSP

SMSP
08-25-2010, 09:22
I wonder why REI is clearing out the ALPS Mountaineering line?
REI doesnt have any listed in the regular tent except in the outlet.

SMSP

mister krabs
08-25-2010, 10:57
they only sell them in the outlet. Alps seems to mostly sell direct through their own scoutdirect.com, Backcountry, REI-outlet and Sierra Trading Post. I've never seen their product at full retail price except a few small online outlets. I guess this is just their business model. I've spoken with the folks there, they're really nice. It's a family run business by an ex-kelty exec.

I've got two of their tents, a Taurus 5 OF and a Zephyr 3. Coming from 3 Sierra designs tents in a row, both alps tents match the SD quality. The taurus 5 OF is big, heavy and heavy duty with #10 zippers and a floor that's as thick as pack cloth, but about 200$. I've only seen it available through scoutdirect. PM me if you're interested in finding out about that. The Zephyr 3 is about equivalent to a mutha hubba in size but about 20 oz lighter.

SMSP
08-25-2010, 11:06
Pros:

Nice low-key color scheme
Enough room for my family/car camping
2 doors w/ vestibules; could ‘rig-up’ an A/C unit on one door
Buckles on rain fly
Rain fly has full coverage
Dome style tent = Freestanding
Clip attachment for poles
Doors mesh area has a solid flap that can be zipped closed from the inside
Gear loft included
Weight of under 10lbs, could be used in backpacking with components divided among each backpacker
Price – on clearance w/ free shipping for $125, retails for $250
Offered by REI, cant be their customer service

Cons:

Center is 52”
ALSP Mountaineering ‘brand’, not a lot of reviews found
The Pros definitely outweigh the cons.

SMSP

SMSP
08-25-2010, 12:47
I took the plunge and ordered the ALPS Neptune 4. I will be in the Nashville area for Christmas. So, I have plenty of time to see if it will meet my family's needs and if not, I'll return then.

Also, in the event the family doesnt camp alot, I dont have a huge investment as I would with the REI Base Camp or Kingdom. If the family gets into it and family camping becomes a regular deal, then I could purchase a larger tent at a later time. I do not have a quality 4 person tent anyway. Doesnt everyone need a tent for every occassion?

Well, let's see if REI will ship this order as fast as the last one, which took 3 days! Thanks for the info. and I did find quite few posts here on WB about the ALPS product brand.

SMSP

skinewmexico
08-25-2010, 12:55
Alps used to have a pic up in the factory in China, next to some other brands made there like North Face and SD. Alps tents have lasted amazingly well for our Boy Scout troop. Nice people, guy who started it was a long time Kelty employee. You'll be pleased.

brotheral
08-25-2010, 14:40
I have a Sierra Designs Nomad 5 for car camping with my sweetheart. Rated for 5 people, but you know how that is... They don't make the Nomad series anymore. But whatever they offer in this category is worth considering. Might be the Bedouin series now. I've gotten through many rain storms without any problems, while folks around me were soaking wet and heading home. Last year a nice young couple was packing up their Wal-Mart tent and heading home after a rainstorm at Elkmont in the Smokies. They stopped and asked about my tent.. I'll bet they bought something reliable / waterproof....
You get what you pay for. A cheap tent is A cheap tent. :welcome

mister krabs
08-25-2010, 14:59
SMSP, be sure to report back on your first impressions. Don't sweat the naysayers, this is no walmart tent, mine have kept me dry without fail.

The Solemates
08-25-2010, 15:03
we just bought a coleman something-or-another. it was only $100, but suits our car camping needs perfectly. i think its called a hooligan.

Jester2000
08-25-2010, 15:04
. . . I've gotten through many rain storms without any problems, while folks around me were soaking wet and heading home. Last year a nice young couple was packing up their Wal-Mart tent and heading home after a rainstorm at Elkmont in the Smokies. They stopped and asked about my tent.. I'll bet they bought something reliable / waterproof....

I second this. I have yet to see a Walmart or Sam's Club Tent do what skinewmexico says a tent has to do -- keep you dry. I've seen many, many people in campgrounds with wet, unhappy families who just assume that's part of camping.

And they're right, if you're buying cheap tents.

I'm currently a fan of the BA Big House 4. Saw it for $390.00 (which includes footprint and alarmingly large vestibule, both of which are normally sold separately) here:

http://store.mpgear.com/bigagnesbighouse4persontent-freefootprint.aspx

Jester2000
08-25-2010, 15:04
Just saw that the original poster found a tent. Never mind!

DaveSail
08-25-2010, 15:27
Cabelas is having a Tent Sale now . Have not studied the various styles .

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat605097&navAction=jump&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=AOL&cm_pla=&cm_ite=netcon&rid=2146251080

David V. Webber

DaveSail
08-25-2010, 15:30
Just saw that CABELA'S is having a tent sale now !

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jsp?id=cat605097&navAction=jump&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=AOL&cm_pla=&cm_ite=netcon&rid=2146251080

mudhead
08-25-2010, 15:51
SMSP, be sure to report back on your first impressions. Don't sweat the naysayers, this is no walmart tent, mine have kept me dry without fail.

I have a 1 man Alps that has taken weather. I am not thrilled with the door zipper. How do the larger Alps tent zippers compare?

I would like to find a Eureka T4 sized dome.

brotheral
08-25-2010, 16:55
Here's my Nomad 5. Floor size is appx 8' x 10'. Been thru alot of storms w/o getting WET. I agree that you shouldn't go out and spend too much money unless it looks like it's something you'lll all enjoy.... You can always take a
less waterproof tent and be prepared to string a tarp over it... I've done that, but believe me I don't need to with this tent...:eek:

Llama Legs
08-25-2010, 17:03
My experience, buy anything that your wife can stand up in.

skinewmexico
08-25-2010, 17:07
I second this. I have yet to see a Walmart or Sam's Club Tent do what skinewmexico says a tent has to do -- keep you dry.

Well...............I have. In fact, I bought an 8x10 dome on closeout at Sam's in Santa Fe a few years back for $69, and I stayed dry when we got 8" of rain in 10 hours. Stayed dry in countless storms since. I don't buy the "you get what you pay for" mantra that advertising companies have burned into our brain-wallet connection. You sometimes get more than you pay for.........if you know what to look for.

brotheral
08-25-2010, 17:39
My experience, buy anything that your wife can stand up in.

Excellent Point !!

brotheral
08-25-2010, 17:42
Well...............I have. In fact, I bought an 8x10 dome on closeout at Sam's in Santa Fe a few years back for $69, and I stayed dry when we got 8" of rain in 10 hours. Stayed dry in countless storms since. I don't buy the "you get what you pay for" mantra that advertising companies have burned into our brain-wallet connection. You sometimes get more than you pay for.........if you know what to look for.

Must've had a big tarp over it !! I better get my knee boots on the S_ _T is getting really deep...:eek:

mister krabs
08-25-2010, 17:57
I have a 1 man Alps that has taken weather. I am not thrilled with the door zipper. How do the larger Alps tent zippers compare?

the larger alps have ykk#8 zippers, the outfitter models have ykk #10's

Jester2000
08-25-2010, 17:59

I recognize that "you get what you pay for" isn't always true, but many times it is. I can tell the difference between Bushmills Black Bush and Canadian Mist.

We've apparently had different experiences with large cheap tents. I'm glad yours worked well for you.

halftime
08-25-2010, 18:08
anybody out there got the Base Camp 4 or 6?

SMSP

I have the Base Camp 3 and have used for years just for myself. I mainly got the tent for ability to stand up to high wind and for floor space (would describe the Base Camp 3 is more of a mountain expedition tent). Recommend you look at the Base Camp 6 for family use. It is also on sale and only $40 more than the 4. Agree with the comment about being able to stand up inside (something to also consider). Good luck.

brotheral
08-25-2010, 18:08
I recognize that "you get what you pay for" isn't always true, but many times it is. I can tell the difference between Bushmills Black Bush and Canadian Mist.

We've apparently had different experiences with large cheap tents. I'm glad yours worked well for you.

I agree; You get what you pay for isn't always true. I need to apologize to
SkinewMexico. My experience and observations have been different than yours, but I believe you're Honest !!

mudhead
08-25-2010, 19:13
the larger alps have ykk#8 zippers, the outfitter models have ykk #10's

Any issues with catching netting or fabric in the zipper? You know how some zippers have that tendency?

Sly
08-25-2010, 19:31
Check out this bad boy...

$179-
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/322,88063_ALPS-Mountaineering-Pineridge-Wilderness-Tent-8-Person-3-Season-3-Room.html

http://i.stpost.com/erez4/erez?src=ProductImages/88063%5F07.tif&tmp=FullSize&redirect=0

brotheral
08-26-2010, 07:08
Check out this bad boy...

$179-
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/322,88063_ALPS-Mountaineering-Pineridge-Wilderness-Tent-8-Person-3-Season-3-Room.html

http://i.stpost.com/erez4/erez?src=ProductImages/88063%5F07.tif&tmp=FullSize&redirect=0

Go to the link and read what the reviewers said WHEN IT RAINED :eek:
"I have never been so wet in a tent..."

mister krabs
08-26-2010, 08:27
agree with brotheral on that one, not a good choice from alps. It's not a good design. Too many poles, flat places for water to gather, fiberglass poles through sleeves with rings, too big, fly too small, hooks for the fly, don't know if it's tape sealed.

Compare that design and the reviews with the alps taurus or neptune. 2 aluminum poles that hook to the tent and attach to grommets, buckle on fly that goes all the way to the ground, taped seams, 2 full vestibules. Notice that the big one and the little one cost the same from the same manufacturer meaning higher manufacturing costs per sq ft on the little one.

It's the design, materials and build quality that make the tent, not the name.

mister krabs
08-26-2010, 08:34
Any issues with catching netting or fabric in the zipper? You know how some zippers have that tendency?

The zephyr works better with two hands, but I think that's because of the mesh body. The Taurus OF works fine one handed. I haven't caught the fabric in the zipper.

Roots
08-26-2010, 08:44
I have a Sierra Designs Nomad 5 for car camping with my sweetheart. Rated for 5 people, but you know how that is... They don't make the Nomad series anymore. But whatever they offer in this category is worth considering. Might be the Bedouin series now. I've gotten through many rain storms without any problems, while folks around me were soaking wet and heading home. Last year a nice young couple was packing up their Wal-Mart tent and heading home after a rainstorm at Elkmont in the Smokies. They stopped and asked about my tent.. I'll bet they bought something reliable / waterproof....

We have the Sierra Design Bedouin 4 man! I can not say enough good about that tent. It has performed excellent in some really shotty weather--wind storms, rain storms, partial flooding, etc. I've always said if they made that tent in a 2 man UL version, I would have it for backpacking!

mister krabs
08-26-2010, 09:05

Alps Taurus 4 outfitter model is exactly the same size with better features like two full vestibules, a fly that goes all the way to the ground and heavier duty cloth with twice the thickness of waterproof membrane and heavier #10 zipper.

You compare the specs.

Eureka Timberline 4: (http://store.eurekatent.com/products/365448/Timberline)
Frame .5” aluminum
Vents N/A
Doors 1
Windows 2
Vestibules N/A
Vestibule Area 14 sq. ft. (sold separately)
Wall 75D polyester taffeta, uncoated
Fly 75D StormShield polyester, 800mm
Floor 75D polyester taffeta, 800mm
Mesh 40D no-see-um

Alps Taurus 4 OF (http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/ALPSMountaineeringTaurusOutfitter.htm)
Frame 7/16” aluminum
Vents 2
Doors 2
Windows 2
Vestibules 2
Vestibule Area 25 sq. ft.
Fly: 75D, 185T, Poly Taffeta, 1500mm Multi-pass Urethane coating
Floor: 210D, 110T, Nylon Oxford, 1500mm Multi-pass Urethane coating
Walls: 70D, 190T, Nylon Taffeta
Mesh: Nylon No See-um Mesh, 40D

The catch is that the taurus 4 OF is more expensive than the timberline online, if you order direct it is 175.

flemdawg1
08-26-2010, 12:46
I have a Kelty Trail Dome 6. Took it to Kentucky back in July and during flash flooding rains one night the depression our tent was in became a small creek. We stayed nice and dry though.
6 ft tall
Aluminum poles that won't snap under gusts like a cheap Walmart tent.
Only 14 lbs (I'd thought about using it for family BPing, then I wised up and figured for 1/2 that weight I'd take 2 tents).
Reasonably Priced.
http://www.backcountryedge.com/kelty-trail-dome-6.aspx?utm_source=Jellyfish&utm_medium=ppf

SMSP
08-28-2010, 13:08
My tent is in town at the Post Office. It got delivered today, but at work, which is closed on the weekends. I'm gonna go pick it later. The weather here has been crapy today, I may or may not be able to set it. Another good turn around time from REI. Last item I ordered got here in 3 days via UPS. The tent was shipped USPS and took four days. Either way, good time frames for me!

SMSP

SMSP
08-30-2010, 22:39
I did a quick set-up and take down this afternoon. Before unpacking it, I weighed it with a hanging fish scale. It weighed 8lbs., 4oz., which is less than listed. Set-up was easy as with most dome two pole tents.

The color scheme was as advertised on the tent body and rain fly, the poles were orange and the storage bags are brown. There is a storage bag for the tent stakes and guy lines and it also contained one each of the tent's materials (body, floor, rain fly). This must be for repairs I suppose. The guy lines are black with yellow and came with the plastic tension things already attached to the line. There was a storage bag for the poles and the main storage bag that everything goes in. The tent assembly instructions were sewn to the opening of the main storage bag.

Anyway, this was a quick set-up. Since we had a lot of rain the past few days, the yard was soggy and wet, so I used a tarp as ground cover so I didnt have to dry the bottom before packing it back up.

First Impressions PROS:

Set-up was super easy
The doors can be zipped one handed.
There are two gear pockets in opposite corners
A single loop in middle of roof to hang a light or whatever
Gear loft included, which has plastic hooks for the four loops in the roof
Lighter than advertised
Rain fly easy to attach as well and all seams sealed
Bath tub floor
Each side of the tent has an adjustable air vent with a Velcro 'rod'
Was able to pack eveything back into the storage bag with no problem.
The rain fly is divided right down the middle and each half has it's own staking point, which means each half can be manipulated independently of each other.
First Impressions CONS or CONCERNS:

Bath tub floor has a SEAM right down the middle (but is sealed)
The material on the tent body and bath tub is really thin as compared to other tents I have experience with
After the rain fly is attached to tent, one has to duck even lower to get in the tent.
The adjustable air vents can only be adjusted from the outside. So, if one has them expanded and then it starts to rain heavy, then one has to exit the tent to close them.
I am very optimistic about this tent. I am looking forward to seeing how it holds up. Since this tent wil primarily be used as a family tent, a ground cloth will always be used. I plan to set-up the tent again in the next couple days on a 10 x 12 tarp and then I'll mark the perimeter, including the vestibules and then cut it out. I may also make a ground cloth out of Tyvek. This tent could be used for backpacking for 2-3 people with the components spread out among everybody.

I will post another update when I have more impressions. One last thing, I see that REI no longer has this tent listed. I assume it is sold out?

SMSP

mister krabs
08-31-2010, 07:22
Thanks SMSP, I think you'll remain pleased with the value. Make sure to cut out the groundcloth an inch or two smaller than the perimeter that you trace.

ki0eh
08-31-2010, 16:02
I likewise got a Neptune 4 because our old car camping tent developed pole problems on the last bp trip we took it on, it shipped real quick from REI to me. Nothing to add or detract yet from SMSP's impressions, but heading out soon to try it for real. (Instead of cutting Tyvek I sprang for the $14.93 footprint that was right next to it on REIoutlet.com, though. :) )

SMSP
09-01-2010, 00:20
I ordered some more stuff from REI today including the Neptune 4's Footprint. I'm not gonna make a footprint with the Tyvek I have. It's my last good 10' x 9' section I have which I'm considering using as a tarp for general usage. The weather forcast looks promising the rest of the week into the weekend, so I am hoping to make the footprint from the camo tarp I picked up the other day.

I forgot to mention the mediocore stakes that came with the Neptune 4, which is typical from tent manufacturers. They are typical aluminum sheperd hook variety. Academy Sports sells Coghlan stakes that are 9 inchies (aluminum), three sided with a loop on the end and they like .6oz and are orange in color. They are sold in a four pack for $2.99 if my memory serves me right.

SMSP

SMSP
09-01-2010, 11:47
Additional Information on the ALPS Mountaineering Neptune 4

I sent an email to ALPS Customer Service:

“I was looking at the Neptune 4 at REI and then went to ALPS site for additional information on the Neptune 4, but it is not listed.
I saw the Taurus and the Taurus Outfitter. The Neptune layout looks the same.
Could I get a specs list like you have for the Taurus & Taurus Outfitter?”

And, the response I got was:

“The Neptune that REI sells is the same as the Taurus 4 AL listed on our website with a color change. The specs for this tent on our website would also apply to the Neptune 4.”

Information from ALPS website for the Taurus:

features at a glance
• Free Standing 2 Pole System with Fiberglass Poles
• Easy Assembly with Pole Clips that quickly snap over the tent poles
• 75D 185T Polyester Fly resists UV damage and stays taut
• Factory Sealed Fly & Floor Seams give best weather protection
• 75D 185T Taffeta Floor with 2000mm Coating
• Extra Large #8 Zippers on Doors and Vestibules
• Easy Entry & Great Ventilation with 2 Doors (both with zippered mesh windows)
• 2 Vestibules for gear storage and extra weather protection
• Weatherproof Fly Buckles on for maximum adjustability and protection
• Mesh Roof Vents increase ventilation and improve star gazing

Taurus 4 Materials:
• Fly: 75D, 185T, Poly Taffeta, 1500mm Multi-pass Urethane coating
• Floor: 75D, 185T, Poly Taffeta, 2000mm Multi-pass Urethane coating
• Walls: 75D, 185T, Poly Taffeta
• Mesh: Nylon No See-um Mesh, 40D
• Frame: 11mm Fiberglass

If you’re tired of getting soaked on your camping trips or always find yourself struggling with the zippers on your tent, switch to an ALPS Mountaineering tent that you can rely on. The Taurus is a simple 2-pole freestanding dome tent that is enhanced with 2 doors and 2 vestibules (one over each door) with extra large #8 zippers to make entering and exiting the tent hassle free. The two doors each have a mesh window, which is great for ventilation…and when it’s time to put on the fly, you won’t have to worry about losing your fresh air. The fly has additional vents for continued ventilation. ALPS tents each come with a factory sealed fly and floor seams to give you the best weather protection and keep you dry. If you’re interested in an even heavier oxford floor and larger #10 zippers, you can always check out our Taurus Outfitter Series as another option.

Taurus 4 AL Specs
Base Size: 7'6 x8’6
Center Height: 4'4
Vestibule Depth: 35"
Tent Area: 64 sq. ft.
Vestibule Area: 25 sq. ft.
Tent and Fly Weight: 7 lb. 11 oz.
Total Weight: 8 lb. 11 oz.
Packed Size: 8" x 22"
Pole Diameter: 11 mm
Color: Blue/Coal
Style: Two-pole rectangular dome
Use Rating: 3 Season
Sleeps: Four
Taurus 2 AL $199.99
Taurus 4 AL $269.99

SMSP

SMSP
10-10-2010, 22:55
Update on the ALPS Mountaineering Neptune 4. Again, easy set-up, and it had enough room for us. This tent can easily accommodate a Queen size air mattress and it appears it can handle a King as well. With the Queen air bed, I placed it all the way to one side of the tent and there was plenty of room for stuff like each of our own overnight bags. We need the King with the three of us on it. I plan to return the Queen and upgrade to the King. We couldn't have asked for better weather. So I have no updates on the tents weatherproofness regarding rain and/or strong wind. Heck, with the weather we had, a poorly designed tent would have done well. I had some small square scraps of Tyvek to use for sitting when hiking, or to use as a door mat for the tent whether car camping or backpacking. I brought two pieces to use in the vesitbule. This was nice to have for entering/exiting the tent and placing our flip flops on. We did not use the other vestibule even though it was set-up. On the side of the tent we used as the entry/exit, we left half of that vestibule's rain fly unzipped to allow the cool air to enter the tent. The other half of this vestibule was staked out. We also unzipped that door of the tent's covered screen portion to allow additional ventilation as well. As the night got cooler, the door's screen portion was zipped closed. The weather forecast for this trip was no rain, 80-85 in the day and about 63-70 at night. I also had the vents on the rain fly completely open, but I couldn't tell a huge difference with these vents probably because the ventilation through the door was more dominant.

The only notable negative thing I came across on this trip was the way the vesitbule rain fly halves were designed to be tied back and out of the way. There is only one tie back point. When the vestibule half rain fly is tied back, it holds this half well at the bottom area, but not very well at the top portion and allows this top portion to sag down in the way. So, what this does is, when one is entering/exiting the tent, one has to push the sagging portion up and out of the way. It's not a big deal, but a second tie out point would secure the upper portion resulting in a neat and clean tied out vestibule rain fly half. To improvise, I had some extra Gear Wrapz, http://alliance-rubber.com/products/gearwrapzstrapz/camogearwrapz.html (http://alliance-rubber.com/products/gearwrapzstrapz/camogearwrapz.html).
These are those heavy duty rubber bands and I rigged one up on the upper portion. I don't remember what size I used but it was small. I slipped the band onto one of the tent pole hooks from underneath and then pulled it out and over the vestibule rain fly half and placed the plastic nub in the tent's rain fly guy out. Since the weather forecast was good, I didn't use the additional rain fly tie outs, but it look like the same could be done even when using these guy out points.

It is inevitable to not get grass, a little sand/dirt and other stuff in a tent in my experience. After emptying the tent and before taking it down, I was able to pick-up the entire tent and give it a good shake out. I liked being able to do this as it saves time trying to sweep out the tent and such. Now, there was no significant wind to contend with, so this may or may not been possible otherwise. And of course, one has to be careful not to damage the tent poles.

Will report more when I have more...

SMSP

SMSP
10-11-2010, 00:23
Yeah, I finally figured out how to attach pics.

Anyway, these pics illustrate what I was trying to explain.

SMSP

Franco
10-11-2010, 23:36
Not sure if this is going to help you, but...
When rolling a tent door it is important that you start at the corner and that you roll it tight.
I did this little clip just to illustrate that
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/7300300/19052904 (http://video.yahoo.com/watch/7300300/19052904)
Franco

ki0eh
10-12-2010, 09:18
To add to SMSP's latest report we did have it out at Baxter SP last month for a couple of nights, it did rain once with barely any condensation (my wife insists on zipping everything up) and no rain entry. Our old Coleman tent would be dripping with condensation under similar circumstances (as stated, my wife insists on zipping everything up).

SMSP
10-18-2010, 17:36
Not sure if this is going to help you, but...
When rolling a tent door it is important that you start at the corner and that you roll it tight.
I did this little clip just to illustrate that
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/7300300/19052904 (http://video.yahoo.com/watch/7300300/19052904)
Franco

Thanks for the tip, I am always learning something new on this site and youtube. I will try this technique next time I set the tent up. It will be interesting to find if the extra strap will be needed or not with this technique.

SMSP

SMSP
10-18-2010, 17:38
To add to SMSP's latest report we did have it out at Baxter SP last month for a couple of nights, it did rain once with barely any condensation (my wife insists on zipping everything up) and no rain entry. Our old Coleman tent would be dripping with condensation under similar circumstances (as stated, my wife insists on zipping everything up).

Yeah, I may have to set the Neptune 4 back up and simulate some rain or something witht he garden house, we have had dry weather all month to the point of a state wide burn ban due to dry and windy conditions.

SMSP