PDA

View Full Version : Have you tried to dehydrate hummus?

Turtle Feet
08-24-2010, 15:37
I'm wondering if the fat content is too high...

TF

bigcranky
08-24-2010, 16:26
Um, we just buy the powdered stuff in the grocery store and mix it with water. Works fine.

Del Q
08-24-2010, 17:54
Powdered product from the grocery store is great, I also mix in freeze dried tabouli, excellent!

Appalachian Tater
08-24-2010, 19:04
The fat is from added olive oil and sesame seed paste. You can dry your own chick peas, add powdered garlic and spices, then make it without sesame seed paste by adding water and olive oil on the trail.

I rarely add sesame seed paste anyway, just a little sesame seed oil, because a jar of it is expensive and it always gets moldy before I use half.

You can make the same kind of spread using white beans.

Sun dried tomatoes are good in both.

Country Roads
08-24-2010, 21:04
I make my own hummus and dehydrate it. The fat in the sesame seeds or olive oil does not seem to be a problem. I make it in January and use on it all summer. I do seal it bulk in food sealer bags and then refrigerate until time to pack it up.

I like making my own because I like less lemon juice that a lot of commercial ones use; personal preference but important to me. After I dehydrate it, I whir it in the food processor to make it nice and fine. It rehydrates very nicely by adding water to the plastic bag it is in. I serve mine with home made whole wheat toes, but any commercial cracker or pita would be great too.

Country Roads
08-24-2010, 21:06
I really don't use toes, just toast :eek:.

Turtle Feet
08-24-2010, 22:00
Thanks guys! I've never seen powdered hummus in the grocery stores up here (I'm in the sticks). Like your idea Country Roads, making me hungry as I think about it; and I have time to try a batch or two. My dehydrator is not too slick, so we'll see how it goes. I don't like alot of lemon either, but tons of garlic!

TheCheek
08-24-2010, 22:46
I swear when I first read the subject I thought it said "Have you tried to dehydrate humans?"

Wise Old Owl
08-24-2010, 23:17
I swear when I first read the subject I thought it said "Have you tried to dehydrate humans?"

Have you had your eye's checked recnetly for other mispellings?:D

rjhoffmann88
08-25-2010, 04:52
I'm a big fan of Hummus for lunch on the trail. I carry a wide variety of spices with me so I can always vary the flavor (curry, Italian, etc.). Mix with water, spread on a pita, add summer sausage and you've got a gourment meal :)

onesocktwin
08-25-2010, 13:26
I use a recipe that I believe was from a link on Whiteblaze. It is "Mom's Carlsbad Dip" from www.wildernesscooking.com (http://www.wildernesscooking.com). GREAT hummus with lots of garlic, tomatoes and roasted red peppers. Dehydrates and rehydrates easily on the trail.

kanga
08-25-2010, 14:41
holy cow! i was about to post the exact same thing!

Turtle Feet
08-25-2010, 16:29
I use a recipe that I believe was from a link on Whiteblaze. It is "Mom's Carlsbad Dip" from www.wildernesscooking.com (http://www.wildernesscooking.com). GREAT hummus with lots of garlic, tomatoes and roasted red peppers. Dehydrates and rehydrates easily on the trail.

That recipe looks awesome! I printed out the Sunny Garlic Hummus too. Thanks so much for the link. :D

Thanks to all the responses, you guys are the bestest! :sun

Turtle Feet
08-25-2010, 16:30
I'm going to start a new thread.....

Have you tried to dehydrate humans?

Old Hiker
08-25-2010, 16:43

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57945&highlight=cannibal

mudhead
08-25-2010, 16:45
Thanks guys! I've never seen powdered hummus in the grocery stores up here (I'm in the sticks). Like your idea Country Roads, making me hungry as I think about it; and I have time to try a batch or two. My dehydrator is not too slick, so we'll see how it goes. I don't like alot of lemon either, but tons of garlic!

Look in the health food section of a larger non Walmart grocer. By gluten free stuff and the Annie's mac and cheese here. Whatever aisle has the $3 canned beans.:)

Hikes in Rain
08-25-2010, 19:56

Also: To Serve Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Serve_Man)

Hikes in Rain
08-25-2010, 19:58

Also, To Serve Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Serve_Man)

Country Roads
08-25-2010, 20:32
Dehydrate humans; maybe that is why I said toes instead of toast!
I knew there had to be reason.

Speaking of dehydrating stuff: has any perfected dehydrated water yet?
If so, I wanna buy stock when you go public; Bill Gates will look so poor when this hits the market.

Turtle Feet
08-25-2010, 23:48
Dehydrate humans; maybe that is why I said toes instead of toast!
I knew there had to be reason.

Speaking of dehydrating stuff: has any perfected dehydrated water yet?
If so, I wanna buy stock when you go public; Bill Gates will look so poor when this hits the market.

I could be wrong - but isn't dehydrated water oxygen? :confused:

Country Roads
08-30-2010, 20:37
Hmm, H20. Strange stuff water. One part will burn (H), one part will feed the burn (O2) and the whole thing will put the fire out (H2O). You gotta love all the cool things this planet offers.

wicca32
08-30-2010, 20:50
I really don't use toes, just toast :eek:.

I was wondering.....LOL

Dogwood
08-31-2010, 14:08

LOL!

You can prepare hummus and then dry it out if you have nothing better to do with your time and money, or want to prepare some unusually flavored hummus, but unlike some other foods that you just can't find dehydrated or items which can be very costly in their dehydrated form, dried hummus is readily available rather cheaply, about $3/lb, purchased in bulk bins, in the amount you want, from grocery stores, even mainstream grocery stores. The already pre-measured sizes and boxed dried hummus, like from Fantastic Foods, usually equates to greater convenience and packaging and therefore commands a higher price per lb if you ever do the math. It also reconstitutes with water and/or olive oil easily. A lb of dried hummus when reconstituted(rehydrated) will make MUCH more than a lb of hummus. I'll often carry some dried hummus, about an ounce or two, with some crackers and/or cheese as a daytime trail snack or add dried hummus to flavor dehydrated mashed potatoes, rice and red beans, or Katmandu type rice curry dinners. For something spicier or different I'll add a packet of soy sauce or red pepper flakes to the hummus also while out on the trail. Pick up the soy packets at Chinese food restaurants and the red pepper flake packets at Dominos or Pizza Hut when you are in town. Adding some Extra Virgin Olive Olive, which I carry out to the trail in a 2-3 oz plastic screw top cap sealed in a little snack baggie, can add some GOOD FAT cals and flavor. You now got a GOOD source of low wt cals including GOOD Fat cals(Omegas 3, 6, 9) and a decent source of cheap dehydrated protein cals!

Turtle Feet
08-31-2010, 14:48
Excellent post Dogwood! Thanks so much for the serving ideas. Believe it or not, the grocers in the northwoods of Wisconsin don't carry powdered hummus, but I do get down to Milwaukee on a regular basis - I'll look for it at Whole Foods.

I'm at the point now where I'm trying to get a handle on how I'm going to figure out the menu/resupply thing; balancing town food with resupplies (like powdered hummus, ect.) sent from home. Thanks so much for your post!

TF
ps: my husband & I were married on Kauai, we'll be celebrating our 25th anniversary at Fontana Dam...lol!