PDA

View Full Version : Bennington, RT 9 Lot

johnnyblisters
08-24-2010, 19:48
I was thinking of leaving my car at the RT. 9 parking lot in Bennington for my upcoming nobo hike to the Canadian border. Would leaving my car there for three weeks be a bad idea? Any comments welcome, I'm planning on leaving in a week.

Yukon
08-25-2010, 20:47
I have left one of our cars there for 3 days before and not had any problems, can't say I could recommend 3 weeks though. I know there have been some past vandalization reports...

Fox
08-26-2010, 07:53
Try to contact someone from the section that covers the trail maintenance for this area. They would most likely be your best resource for answering what your risk is and if they advise against leaving a car, what alternatives you might have.

http://www.bennington.com/outingclub/

redseal
08-26-2010, 09:08
I walked through that parking lot on two separate occasions recently. The first was in the beginning of July and the second was about 2 weeks ago. Both times, I saw broken glass. That was enough for me. I left my vehicle at different trailheads. You might want to try the Greylock Community club in North Adams, MA.

Skyline
08-26-2010, 10:18
I was thinking of leaving my car at the RT. 9 parking lot in Bennington for my upcoming nobo hike to the Canadian border. Would leaving my car there for three weeks be a bad idea? Any comments welcome, I'm planning on leaving in a week.

You might want to try and locate a hiker-friendly business or somewhere else in Bennington to leave a vehicle for that long. A motel, B&B, restaurant; maybe a municipal lot near a police station. Then hitch or shuttle to the Rt. 9 AT trailhead.

Bonus: Upon your return, however you're getting back, getting a ride to downtown Bennington might prove to be easier than to the Rt. 9 trailhead.

johnnyblisters
08-26-2010, 11:18
Great suggestions, all! Thanks, I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Cosmo
08-27-2010, 16:26
The Community Club is the way to go. 413-664-9020. They are hiker friendly. 500ft east of AT on Rt 2 in North Adams, approx 4 miles south of LT trail head.

Cosmo

I walked through that parking lot on two separate occasions recently. The first was in the beginning of July and the second was about 2 weeks ago. Both times, I saw broken glass. That was enough for me. I left my vehicle at different trailheads. You might want to try the Greylock Community club in North Adams, MA.