PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a Newbie Dreamer

Prettywoman0172
08-24-2010, 22:38
Hey, hey...I discovered the AT kinda by accident this summer when I drove the east coast. In PA I camped in the Michaux State Forest and that is where I first saw it :) Intrigued I googled it while charging my iPad at Starbucks one morning and learned about its history. I stayed in Michaux for 8 days (was only supposed to stay 1!!!) which was the longest we stayed at any place during the trip.

There is just something about it. Something I cant get out of my head. And I want it. So, I am planning a hike in 2011. I would ideally like to attempt a thru-hike but, well, I have a lot of kids and I go to school and I have a job...and I am thinking I probably wont be able to take the 5-6 mos I would need to hike it all at once. But I am going. I am. And I'll see how far I get.

I am 38, single/divorced mom of 6. I have amazing parents that are very supportive of me and my tendency to do stupid stuff, so they are willing to take on the kids and let me go :)

I am physically fit. After spending my entire life overweight, topping off at over 300lbs, I lost 175lbs in a little less than 9mos almost 2 years ago. :D I am an avid runner, although I am nursing two bad stress fractures right now.
I also cycle, walk, hike, and love camping.

I am a seasoned camper and am accustomed to walking and running long distances. But I have never hiked with a pack before.

I am rambling :) It's nice to be here :)

Ann

Daydream Believer
08-24-2010, 22:49
Welcome Ann. It sounds like you've come to the right place! I'm a 47 year old woman and did my first backpacking trip last October. Now I'm planning my second solo hike and really exited to be heading for some of the highest places on the AT in Fall!

I'm not sure what bug it is that bites us, but it's potent. I got bitten in the Shenandoah Nat Park in 2008 on a day hike...the first time I'd ever been on the AT. I read Awol's book and that was it...I knew what I wanted to do.

Congrats on the weight loss also. That is wonderful! Good Job!

DapperD
08-24-2010, 22:51
Hey, hey...I discovered the AT kinda by accident this summer when I drove the east coast. In PA I camped in the Michaux State Forest and that is where I first saw it :) Intrigued I googled it while charging my iPad at Starbucks one morning and learned about its history. I stayed in Michaux for 8 days (was only supposed to stay 1!!!) which was the longest we stayed at any place during the trip.

There is just something about it. Something I cant get out of my head. And I want it. So, I am planning a hike in 2011. I would ideally like to attempt a thru-hike but, well, I have a lot of kids and I go to school and I have a job...and I am thinking I probably wont be able to take the 5-6 mos I would need to hike it all at once. But I am going. I am. And I'll see how far I get.

I am 38, single/divorced mom of 6. I have amazing parents that are very supportive of me and my tendency to do stupid stuff, so they are willing to take on the kids and let me go :)

I am physically fit. After spending my entire life overweight, topping off at over 300lbs, I lost 175lbs in a little less than 9mos almost 2 years ago. :D I am an avid runner, although I am nursing two bad stress fractures right now.
I also cycle, walk, hike, and love camping.

I am a seasoned camper and am accustomed to walking and running long distances. But I have never hiked with a pack before.

I am rambling :) It's nice to be here :)

AnnGood Luck to you! You sound like you are a determined individual and will most likey do well out there. Just make sure to get hiking with a loaded up backpack you plan to use. The initial instances of hiking with the loaded backpack will definately cause your body to need some time adjusting/adapting/recovering.

Prettywoman0172
08-24-2010, 22:58
Oh, I have been reading LOTS and LOTS of books...Just Passin' Thru, Awol on the AT, Walking with Spring, A Walk in the Woods and a bunch of blogs about thru-hiking. Makes me want it more :)

Ann

sbhikes
08-25-2010, 15:55
Thru-hiking does a number on your metabolism. Most people gain a lot of weight back after their hikes. Hope you are okay with that. It's not a diet plan by any means. It's like the anti-diet plan.

Try to get in a lot of day-hiking under difficult conditions. It really helps to know how to deal with dehydration or cold or whatever conditions might be difficult for you. If you can get any backpacking in, that's good too. The thing is, backpacking on a long trail like the AT or PCT really isn't the same as backpacking other places. It's more fun and social. Still, it's good to know your gear.

I'd recommend looking up ultralight backpacking. You may not want to go that light, but going lighter than what some gear shop dude will recommend really does help a lot. Plus knowing good ultralight techniques can actually save you money (despite all the misinformation around here).

Prettywoman0172
08-26-2010, 12:51
Uuuhhh, no, I would NOT be ok with weight gain any way any how.

canoehead
08-26-2010, 13:06
Glad ya found us, hiking is what we do here..mostly. Enjoy yours

Crotalus
08-26-2010, 13:38
you might also want to do some section hiking with the kids. Expose them to the trail and instill a love of the outdoors in them.

For now that is what I will be doing. When the kids are grown and gone I will do my thru-hike.

Spokes
08-26-2010, 13:41
Well, looks like you're infected with the thru-hiker disease. Yep, looks like a classic case to me... If you're lucky, you'll get a dose of the cure in the form of a long distance hike. I wish you well.

Welcome to WB.

BTW, have you had time to check out some journals on http://www.trailjournals.com ? Pick a coupe and follow along. It's a great way to see how other hikers handle a thru.

All the Best!

stunt man
08-27-2010, 22:12
Uuuhhh, no, I would NOT be ok with weight gain any way any how.

most people gain alot of weight after they tru hike because they dont continue to exercise when they get home... they are still used to being starved on the trail and they come home and eat alot and dont work out. you will be fine as long as you come home after your hike and eat right and continue to exercise

Prettywoman0172
08-28-2010, 11:01
Thank you Stunt Man!

Graywolf
08-28-2010, 12:04
BTW, the name for the bug is Hikersensivitus. It effects all and every hiker who steps on a trail. No cure. Sorry. No way, no how.. The only way to lessen the symptoms is hiking.. Thats it..I have a topic here in the General forums somewhere. Check it out..

Graywolf
08-28-2010, 12:09
BTW, the name for the bug is Hikersensivitus. It effects all and every hiker who steps on a trail. No cure. Sorry. No way, no how.. The only way to lessen the symptoms is hiking.. Thats it..I have a topic here in the General forums somewhere. Check it out..

I believe this is the link: www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64406 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64406)

Tipi Walter
08-28-2010, 12:55
Well, looks like you're infected with the thru-hiker disease. Yep, looks like a classic case to me... If you're lucky, you'll get a dose of the cure in the form of a long distance hike.

There's also the Bag Night Disease, caused by the Jeremiah Johnson Pinching Flagellate which enters the brain and causes previously home-addicted persons to sleep outside every night. I would recommend you start your Bag Night count and start sleeping out in the backyard or on the deck every night. Summer and winter. Live on a Thermarest. Sleep under a bush. On a porch in a bedroll.

Thruhikers don't necessarily have the Bag Night disease, and often after their hike they don't ever want to sleep outside again. The quest for bag nights works in all situations, including long trail thruhikes.

Graywolf
08-28-2010, 17:14
There's also the Bag Night Disease, caused by the Jeremiah Johnson Pinching Flagellate which enters the brain and causes previously home-addicted persons to sleep outside every night. I would recommend you start your Bag Night count and start sleeping out in the backyard or on the deck every night. Summer and winter. Live on a Thermarest. Sleep under a bush. On a porch in a bedroll.

Thruhikers don't necessarily have the Bag Night disease, and often after their hike they don't ever want to sleep outside again. The quest for bag nights works in all situations, including long trail thruhikes.

I would call this, "Bagnightus syndrome", Its really a mild case, unless you don't nourish it..

cevans
08-28-2010, 22:19
and if this forum infects you just like hiking, also check out the www.backpackers.com (http://www.backpackers.com) as it also might give you some ideas on gear, hiking areas,,but this forum,,will keep you arroused to the AT and anything else you that stimulates you. Welcome,,and happy hiking. Ask anything. There is someone here that has a answer to your questions.

sbhikes
08-30-2010, 12:10
most people gain alot of weight after they tru hike because they dont continue to exercise when they get home... they are still used to being starved on the trail and they come home and eat alot and dont work out. you will be fine as long as you come home after your hike and eat right and continue to exercise

I think this is only partially true. I continued to exercise and did not pig out when I got home and I still gained all the weight back.

Someone posted a really good link about this in the health section. Someone suggested that the heavy duty exercise of a thru-hike actually resets your metabolism so that your body is more efficient, more like paleo man. It's not so much that you eat too much when you come home, but your body is no longer optimized to eat a lot of simple carbs and sit at a job all day. Your insulin response is changed. I sensed that something had changed within myself. I think next time I thru-hike I will come home and eat only meat and vegetables. Coming home and eating only peaches and grapefruit didn't work because it was probably too high in carbs and sugars.

Prettywoman0172
08-30-2010, 16:38
The idea that I could re-gain all of the weight (175lbs) that I lost two years ago because of a long distance hike might just be what makes me decide that it just isnt worth it. I would rather die than re-gain that weight.

wdelong
08-30-2010, 17:32
I think you are just very apt to regain whatever weight you might lose during your long-distance hike - not what you lost a couple of years ago. Congrats!

Sierra Echo
08-30-2010, 17:37
How on earth did you lose 175 lbs in 9 months? And barfing doesn't count. Neither do laxatives.

Many Walks
08-30-2010, 17:53
Prettywoman0172, it would appear you have changed your lifestyle and eating habits to be able to shed that much weight. Congratulations! You are starting your hike as an active healthy person and you are determined to not gain weight back after the hike. I believe you will tone your body even more during the hike and will continue a positive lifestyle afterward with even more confidence. I sincerely doubt weight gain would be an issue for you afterward simply because you have worked so hard to get to where you are now. You can do it. Enjoy your hike!

Prettywoman0172
08-30-2010, 18:17
How on earth did you lose 175 lbs in 9 months? And barfing doesn't count. Neither do laxatives.

I literally exercised my ass off. For real. I restricted calories, dropped all artificial sweeteners, caffeine, and crap. Started eating whole foods. And exercised up to 12hours a day (averaging 4-6 per day on most normal days). I took good care of myself and I worked hard. I like instant gratification, and I got it. :) I learned to run (LOVE LOVE LOVE running but have a couple of stress fractures that are healing right now), bought a bike (have three now), and spent a lot of time at my local YMCA. I love being active, learning new things and challenging myself to achieve things I never thought were possible for me. I am living a different life.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_6wA3k04X0j8/S1JnwOptW4I/AAAAAAAACbU/f4pprrmtBdY/SCN_0001.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_6wA3k04X0j8/SteYVFn1tjI/AAAAAAAAB-s/ArFOz9Vd_Dc/s512/Ann%20Oct%20005.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_6wA3k04X0j8/SpJyWvHngnI/AAAAAAAAB1c/0cATIw0kXFI/s512/August%20002.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_6wA3k04X0j8/TEWwVvf-7rI/AAAAAAAADuQ/N3X6tyX13Uc/s400/DSC_0131.jpg

Have gotten a little bit lazy and put on 10-15 on over the last 8 months. The stress fractures are NOT helping :)

Ann

Sunshine Tami Jo
08-30-2010, 18:27
You are, indeed, a very pretty woman. Congratulations on your lifestyle change! The results are nothing short of amazing. With the type of determination you've shown, you'll be fine on the trail. Likely you lost your weight by burning even more calories than you'll burn on the trail, so if the appetite didn't sabotage you when you were working out those long hours during your weight loss, it won't sabotage you now. You know how to handle it. This time you'll just be getting your calorie burn outside 24/7. You can do it.

Tipi Walter
08-30-2010, 20:23
Wow! COUCH POTATO ALERT: Okay, all you guys out there with terminal couch potato fever in a nation of couch potatoes---check out this thread! Prettywoman0172 has become our honorary Ultralight Expert For Life. Congrats.

Sierra Echo
08-30-2010, 20:49
I literally exercised my ass off. For real. I restricted calories, dropped all artificial sweeteners, caffeine, and crap. Started eating whole foods. And exercised up to 12hours a day (averaging 4-6 per day on most normal days). I took good care of myself and I worked hard. I like instant gratification, and I got it. :) I learned to run (LOVE LOVE LOVE running but have a couple of stress fractures that are healing right now), bought a bike (have three now), and spent a lot of time at my local YMCA. I love being active, learning new things and challenging myself to achieve things I never thought were possible for me. I am living a different life.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_6wA3k04X0j8/S1JnwOptW4I/AAAAAAAACbU/f4pprrmtBdY/SCN_0001.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_6wA3k04X0j8/SteYVFn1tjI/AAAAAAAAB-s/ArFOz9Vd_Dc/s512/Ann%20Oct%20005.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_6wA3k04X0j8/SpJyWvHngnI/AAAAAAAAB1c/0cATIw0kXFI/s512/August%20002.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_6wA3k04X0j8/TEWwVvf-7rI/AAAAAAAADuQ/N3X6tyX13Uc/s400/DSC_0131.jpg

Have gotten a little bit lazy and put on 10-15 on over the last 8 months. The stress fractures are NOT helping :)

Ann

Congrats!~ Those pictures are amazing and I'm in love with your arms! I'm about to start P90X. I bought the program last year and got derailed after about a month due to my Grandmothers death.
You said you don't use artificial sweetners, so I'm assuming you don't drink diet coke. Even the kind with splenda?

Prettywoman0172
08-30-2010, 20:57
No, no soda at all. Havent had it in close to three yewrs :)

I have been getting lazy in the weight lifting department :) so my arms are not as good as they were.
A

Marta
08-30-2010, 21:24
Totally awesome! That is an amazing achievement.

As far as thru-hiking, while most thru-hikers eat lots of junk food, it is not actually necessary. There are a few sturdy souls who stick to healthy diets when they hike. While you will have to eat more than are you eating now, women don't actually have to pig out while they're hiking. Many female thru-hikers never put away a dozen doughnuts or a half gallon of ice cream at a sitting. If you can keep from developing (or re-developing) that ability to gorge, you'll have gone a long way towards keeping yourself from blimping up after the hike.

Lillianp
08-30-2010, 21:36
Congrats on the weight loss, that is STUNNING! As others have been saying-since you seem to have figured out the trick to losing weight & keeping it off, you would be just fine after a hike, just have to use that awesome self-discipline of yours.
Me, I'm still exercising, but I'm not eating as well as I should be, which does not bode well unless I kick myself.

Many Walks
08-30-2010, 22:35
Prettywoman1072, I believed from your posts that you had made significant lifestyle changes and your pictures confirm it beyond all doubt. I'm sure your family is also extremely proud of your accomplishment. The results of your hard work is clear in the pics. I will reiterate, you'll have no problems during and after a thru hike and I agree you picked the right trail name. Best wishes and enjoy your hike!

Daydream Believer
08-30-2010, 22:39
Someone suggested that the heavy duty exercise of a thru-hike actually resets your metabolism so that your body is more efficient, more like paleo man. It's not so much that you eat too much when you come home, but your body is no longer optimized to eat a lot of simple carbs and sit at a job all day. Your insulin response is changed. .

I have not done a thru hike yet but I noticed a change in myself after my week long section hike in May. I did lose about 10 lbs out there as I could not stand to eat much and oddly enough, I've kept it off all summer and slimmed down even more. Even that short of a hike has helped me. I've been eating more carbs as I don't want to lose too much more. I have an eleven day section planned in Oct.

Pretty Woman...those pics are amazing! I don't even know you but I'm so proud of what you accomplished. :banana I honestly don't think you will gain back the weight if you thru hike. As others have said, you clearly have self discipline and just by going back to healthy eating habits post hike, you should be fine. Best of luck whatever you decide to do!

Whoever asked about Splenda...the artificial sweeteners are tied to potential weight gain now. Here's an interesting article:

http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyweight/dietsoda.aspx

Sierra Echo
08-31-2010, 07:09
Whoever asked about Splenda...the artificial sweeteners are tied to potential weight gain now. Here's an interesting article:

http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyweight/dietsoda.aspx (http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyweight/dietsoda.aspx)

That is an interesting article. However, the woman who wrote did not giver her references. I personally like to check references and do additional research.
Besides, the article did say that "No expert is presuming that the diet sodas themselves are making people gain weight."
But as I mentioned before, since there are no references listed, I don't put much stock in the article. I could write an article giving my opinions on a subject, but that doesn't make the article correct in its facts.

sbhikes
08-31-2010, 09:32
The idea that I could re-gain all of the weight (175lbs) that I lost two years ago because of a long distance hike might just be what makes me decide that it just isnt worth it. I would rather die than re-gain that weight.

I don't think you'd regain all that weight.

I just wanted to point out that it's not so simple as saying that if you don't overeat when you get home you won't gain any weight back that you lose on the hike.

Also, the AT might be different than the PCT or might not. It sounds to me like people don't really hike as much as they do on the PCT and they aren't as far from real food for as many days in a row. I hiked close to 30 miles every day on the PCT. It was not possible to keep that up at home even though the jimmy legs I had certainly told me my body expected it. And any time I did exercise I'd become immediately hungry, so I had to cut back exercise in order to not overeat. Thru hikes are a crazy thing!

peakbagger
08-31-2010, 10:48
I see you are in Mass. There are several internet forums or groups that do a lot of hiking in the New England area. The hiking around Michaux State Forest is decidedly a bit tamer than some of the hiking along other parts of the AT. It may be worth checking out viewsfromthetop.com as there are many members from Mass who hike in the White Mountains just about every weekend year round. Alternatively Meetup.com has several groups that also are mass or southern NH based that are up in the whites nearly every weekend. Getting used to some more challenging terrain and incorporating some colder weather hiking this fall will increase your abilities and is great practice for an AT hike.

DapperD
08-31-2010, 20:09
I think this is only partially true. I continued to exercise and did not pig out when I got home and I still gained all the weight back.

Someone posted a really good link about this in the health section. Someone suggested that the heavy duty exercise of a thru-hike actually resets your metabolism so that your body is more efficient, more like paleo man. It's not so much that you eat too much when you come home, but your body is no longer optimized to eat a lot of simple carbs and sit at a job all day. Your insulin response is changed. I sensed that something had changed within myself. I think next time I thru-hike I will come home and eat only meat and vegetables. Coming home and eating only peaches and grapefruit didn't work because it was probably too high in carbs and sugars.When you undertake something as demanding as a thru-hike, say like work doing grueling manual labor for months on end, your body, through all the aerobic exercise, is going to burn up a lot of it's fat, which is what extended aerobic exercise will do. This is why after months and months of hiking, one will drastically lose fat (also some muscle too will probably go). The thing is, the body doesn't like to lose fat. It has something that is it's fat setpoint, sort of each person's individual desired bodyfat level. This is why you see people who have lost a lot of weight, only to gain it back a short time later. This is probably something that the body incorporated due to learning how to survive times of famine. So when someone loses a lot of weight in the form of fat, the body will begin to do things, such as increase it's hunger level, as an example, or become fatigued, in order to gain that fat back. This and returning from a thru-hike with one's metabolism racing and burning up calories, to now sitting at work in a cubicle, the body not needing nearly as many calories as when it was being pushed to thru-hike, and it's metabolism now eased back down to normal (and maybe even slowing to below normal for a time) is going to result in one gaining not only their lost weight back from before the thru-hike, but maybe now that some muscle may have been lost also, to gaining back even more (fat). This is why anyone returning from something as demanding as a thru-hike needs to realize that some unwanted weight gain will probably, and most likely, be inevitable. But if they feel they can still continue some walking, hiking, etc...and are not too burnt out to do so, then that would probably be a good thing to counterbalance this. Also really watching their food intake, and not going overboard will probably, and most likely, help as well. Those individuals who are already naturally thin and not predisposed to easy weight gain will probably fare the best, and will probably be spared from much, if any weight gain after a thru-hike as compared to those who are naturally heavyset to begin with.

Daydream Believer
08-31-2010, 22:36
That is an interesting article. However, the woman who wrote did not giver her references. I personally like to check references and do additional research.
Besides, the article did say that "No expert is presuming that the diet sodas themselves are making people gain weight."
But as I mentioned before, since there are no references listed, I don't put much stock in the article. I could write an article giving my opinions on a subject, but that doesn't make the article correct in its facts.

I was just sharing the article..not providing it as scientific proof. :confused: Folks should always do research before accepting what they read as fact. I know that all the research I've done on artificial sweeteners has completely turned me off of them.

Sierra Echo
08-31-2010, 22:54
I was just sharing the article..not providing it as scientific proof. :confused: Folks should always do research before accepting what they read as fact. I know that all the research I've done on artificial sweeteners has completely turned me off of them.

Im sorry! I didn't make myself clear! LOL I probably shouldn't post when I first wake up in the morning.
It is a very interesting article, I just wish she had stated references for some of her claims, so that I might read more about it. What struck me as really odd was she was against sugar and artificial sweetners but claimed she used stevia.

Daydream Believer
09-01-2010, 09:56
Thats OK...I was probably a bit testy last night. We just canceled a trip we'd wanted to go on for months thanks to Hurricane Earl. Yesterday was a not a good day at all.

Stevia has a strong aftertaste to me. I tried it...yuck. Stevia is though from a plant and not quite the same as Asparatame and Splenda which are chemicals made in a lab. So far as I know there are no negative effects from Stevia but the other two big artificial sweeteners have both had some bad press...especially Asparatame. Splenda I have read is a derivative of Chlorine and supposedly it's not absorbed into the body but some Japanese scientists proved that up to 30% of the Splenda is absorbed.

I'll not derail Prettywoman's thread anymore but we should post a topic in Health and we can share all our information. :-)

sbhikes
09-01-2010, 12:22
A year later I'm finally to the point where I can exercise strenuously without getting hungry. I actually did an 80 mile backpack trip in the Sierras and at the end of the trip the only thing I wanted was a shower! Yay, now I think I'll start upping my exercise again. I walk to work and back and hike on weekends, but I'm going to start running now that I can do it without waking up "the beast" (that's what I called my incessant hunger).