PDA

View Full Version : Pinhoti Trail in Winter

Graywolf
08-25-2010, 16:43
Has anyone done the Pinhoti trail in Winter?? I was curious of the weather averages in December.. Maybe also the hunting season would be an issue..Just sitting here and thinking up possilbe hikes for this winter.

Graywolf

SGT Rock
08-25-2010, 16:48
I did the Alabama Pinhoti in January 2000. Lows were in the teens at night.

Graywolf
08-25-2010, 17:21
Thanks Rock!!

The Solemates
08-25-2010, 17:31
that's the only time to do the pinhoti. otherwise, its too hot. i only hike that trail late oct-march.

Graywolf
08-26-2010, 11:59
Soulmate, do you know of anyone who shuttles to the Bull Head trailhead??

Graywolf

flemdawg1
08-26-2010, 12:32

Graywolf

Did you try the phone numbers here:
http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/shuttles.html

The Solemates
08-26-2010, 15:01

Graywolf

well i contemplated not responding because you got our name wrong, but I decided to anyways :)

i hike this trail with my father, so we always have 2 vehicles and shuttle. we've been stuck about half finished with the trail now for about a year. too many trails too little time.

The Solemates
08-26-2010, 15:02

Graywolf

if you have particular dates you were thinking of hiking, i'd be willing to do the two car shuffle with you if you're up for a hiking partner.

Bearpaw
08-26-2010, 17:05
If you stay on slightly higher ground (and most of the shelters are on higher ground), it will be 5-10 degrees warmer than in the valleys, which collect cold air.

I hiked the PT in sections in November (Thanksgiving weekend) and December (the week before Christmas) of last year. I wore a blaze orange t-shirt over my hiking shirt and a blaze orange hat and pack cover to increase my visibility to hunters. There were a LOT out in November (modern rifle deer), but not much in December.

Lows were a bit above freezing on high ground, a bit below in the valleys.

Graywolf
08-26-2010, 17:38
if you have particular dates you were thinking of hiking, i'd be willing to do the two car shuffle with you if you're up for a hiking partner.

Sorry about the mis-spelling.. LOL.. That would be great, however, I plan on taking a bus to Alabama, then hiking into Dalton to catch a bus home if I go this route. I missed my window for a section hike on the AT this year, but I have the end of November and December to hike. So I am jugling the two. Weighing out the options..

Graywolf