PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Boot Opinions wanted

grrickar
11-22-2004, 22:01
It seems that I have been good this year (at least as far as Santa knows ;) ) and I am going to get a new set of boots. The main reason for getting a new set is that while my trusty Timberlands that I have had and worn for about 5 years now are great around town - they absolutely suck as hiking boots. I has blisters ringing both heels, and on the pads of my feet. I even had superfeet insoles and sock liners on. They just don't fit right for hiking. I think my socks were too thick as well, but I digress....

The boots I am curious about are:
Montrail Torre GTX
Montrail Traverse GTX
Asolo FSN 95 GTX
Asolo TPS 535
Asolo TPS Highland
Zamberlan Ladak (italian made)
Asolo TPS 520 GTX

As you can see most are gore tex lined. That is just the way it ended up working out. I have a $50 REI gift card, a 15% off coupon and an extra $100 to spend. Obviously the deal would be to buy the boots at REI, use the card and coupon save a good bit.

That being the case the above boots are the REI offerings that looked to be well made. The Zamberlan's are italian made, and while they are expensive they look very well made.

Anyone have any opinions on any of the boots above, or an alternate choice (preferably something REI carries, for the reasons above).

Ridge
11-22-2004, 22:11
I personally do not like gtx, too hot, but if the boot fits thats the most important thing. Quality Mid sole, outer sole(I like vibram), footbeds, and socks all go into making a good boot better. If you get a non gtx boot, seal seams with polyurethane liquid and use a quality wax such as aquaseal on the leather.

JimSproul
11-22-2004, 22:57
I have had good luck with these. Very minimal break-in for me. My son bought a pair too, likes them but he does not have as many miles on them.

I have hiked these boots in very hot and very wet weather with good results. Even on harsh trail with lots of rock and a heavy pack they performed well. I have not used them in other than minimal snow conditions so I don't really know what they are like in cold weather.

HOWEVER, I am replacing them for my upcoming through hike with a lighter Montrail Boot, Storm II GTX, on sale at $69.95 at campmor.com. I bought two pair because these do NOT have vibram soles but the are much lighter.

Nameless
11-23-2004, 04:16
I own a pair of Montrail Torre and would deffinatly recomend them. They are the only pair of boots i have ever truely loved. Some people find problems with them soaking up water, but i keep them well waterproofed and dont have a problem

They come both with or without gore-tex. Being an alaskan i dont worry about the heat normally, so i always have gotten it, but its really a personal decision. Only had one problem with them in the past, and that was user related, be carefull not to buy too small of a shoe (they fit so good you may be tempted too) cause you will blister like MAD. Fourty mile trail (Resurrection) equaled to 22 blisters to me, untill i got a biger pair. Then a barely shoter, but harder trail (chilkoot) led to no blisters... so total user error.

Thanks
Pink

Peaks
11-23-2004, 08:49
I'm sure that all the boots you have looked at are good. But, the question is what is the best boot for you. That all depends on fit. So, make an appointment with the store's best boot fitter late in the afternoon. Go there with your hiking socks, and spend lots of time trying on all of the boots.

Frankly, with Superfeet footbeds, I find the differences in fit between different boots to be much less. It seems like with superfeet, I can wear almost anything.

Youngblood
11-23-2004, 09:22
grrickar,

The things to look for in order of importance are: fit, fit, fit and is it the kind of footwear you want. Getting the right fit is not always easy. The socks you wear can effect the sizing but the shape of your foot and the volume of your foot is determined by your foot, not my foot or anyone elses. The first thing I check for is the curvature of the shoe and then I go from there to width, volume, etc. You can get a good idea of the curvature by making an outline of your foot by tracing it on a piece of paper and cutting it out or by comparing your right foot against the left shoe, when your foot is placed on top of the upside down shoe. Once I get that right, then I go on to the other parameters and see how I'm doing there.

I don't recall noticing a 'boot-fitter' making that check but it was/is(?) pretty standard at stores that specialize in runners. I think it should be the first thing to check because if that isn't right, then the shoe/boot/sandal just isn't going to fit properly.

Youngblood

Moose2001
11-23-2004, 10:28
Grrickar - in reading your post on the problems you had, I saw your comment on blisters and superfeet. I had a similar problem with blisters ringing my heel when I used the superfeet insoles. The design has a heel cup. If your heel is wide enough, the edges of the cup rub the side of your heel and cause blisters. I've seen this on a few people. Superfeet are great for most hikers but like most gear, don't work for everyone.

Youngblood
11-23-2004, 10:57
Grrickar - in reading your post on the problems you had, I saw your comment on blisters and superfeet. I had a similar problem with blisters ringing my heel when I used the superfeet insoles. The design has a heel cup. If your heel is wide enough, the edges of the cup rub the side of your heel and cause blisters. I've seen this on a few people. Superfeet are great for most hikers but like most gear, don't work for everyone.

I also had the blisters ringing my heel back when I used them, but seems like only when I hiked 20 mile days. And they weren't the nasty type blisters, they were like under callous skin and not very big.

Youngblood

snarbles
11-23-2004, 12:20
I have the Asolo FSN 95 GTX. They are great and light (not ultra, but good for my purposes). The thing I like about them is that they really didn't even need breaking-in. Ready to hike out of the box.

Footslogger
11-23-2004, 13:21
Grrickar - in reading your post on the problems you had, I saw your comment on blisters and superfeet. I had a similar problem with blisters ringing my heel when I used the superfeet insoles. The design has a heel cup. If your heel is wide enough, the edges of the cup rub the side of your heel and cause blisters. I've seen this on a few people. Superfeet are great for most hikers but like most gear, don't work for everyone.========================================
True that SuperFeet aren't for everyone but a very common mistake when buying them is to choose the size that comes closest to your foot length. I fitted hikers in boots/trail shoes for years and worked directly with the SuperFeet people. Interesting fact is that they are sold in sizes A, B, C, D, E and F. The major difference, other than the apparent length of the footbed right out of the box, is the width of the heel cup. You fit your HEEL (and heel to arch distance) and not your foot length to the footbed. Then you trim the length and width to conform to the footwear you are using. The heel cup of a SuperFeet footbed should "capture" the heel gently and cause the natural tissue of the heel to move inward, creating some "padding" while at the same time causing stability of the heel. The more stable your heel plant as you begin your stride, the more efficient and body friendly your overall foot mechanics will be.

Might sound like too much information ...but it's all about foot biomechanics and the science of walking.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Lilred
11-23-2004, 19:13
The main reason for getting a new set is that while my trusty Timberlands that I have had and worn for about 5 years now are great around town - they absolutely suck as hiking boots. .

Just proves how fit is everything and not two pairs of feet are the same. I hike in Timberlands and absolutely love them. I have well over 100 miles on them and have never had a hot spot, much less a blister. They've kept my feet dry at creek crossings where others have gotten wet feet. I love my Timberlands.

Moose2001
11-23-2004, 20:49
WOW 'Slogger. That's more info on Superfeet than I've ever heard!! You might of just convinced me to try them again. Is that info on the package or did I just miss it?

Thanks for the update.

grrickar
11-23-2004, 21:05
When I bought my superfeet insoles I just grabbed the pair that fit my shoe size, so I may have caused the problem myself. I might have to give the insoles a try again. The first day hiking was 20 miles, and we had mostly double digit days, with some of them being around 15-17 miles. That too could explain my blisters. My hiking buddy wore Asolo FSN 95 GTX boots and only got one hot spot.

Footslogger
11-23-2004, 23:13
WOW 'Slogger. That's more info on Superfeet than I've ever heard!! You might of just convinced me to try them again. Is that info on the package or did I just miss it?

Thanks for the update.=====================================
Nah ...it's not on the package. That's a huge oversight as far as I'm concerned. I told them about it when I was "back in the business" but you know how some companies are ...very slow to change. About the only way you'd ever pick up on that info would be to talk to a knowledgeable sales rep in a full service outfitter. If I hadn't been put through "SuperFeet University" I probably wouldn't know about it myself.

What I do know is if you get a pair that fits you well and is cut correctly to your footwear they're pretty hard to beat. About the only people who absolutely cannot wear SuperFeet are those with seriously flat feet. The rigid arch support will bat the underside of your foot to death.

By the way ...another thing that isn't often explained to hikers is that a pair of SuperFeet needs to be broken in. Rather ...your feet need a period to adjust to the new footbeds. Lots of hikers open a box of SuperFeet, pop em into their boots/shoes and take off hiking. You need to wear them a few hours a day for the first week or so, switching back and forth between the SuperFeet and the manufacturers insole.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Ridge
11-24-2004, 10:59
I tried the super-feet and maybe some other brands, they killed my feet. I now use 7mm thick plain footbeds, but are kinda hard to find. Paid $7.50 last time. 20 mile days are much better.

grrickar
11-29-2004, 23:18
I went with a pair of Montrail Torre GTXs. They offered the best fit for me. I tried on several Asolos but could not find a comfortable model - all of them had some hard edge (or lug?) that seemed to dig into the top of my foot or my ankle. I have a buddy that has a pair of FSN 95s and likes them.

I guess each foot is different. I also tried on a pair of Italian made Zamberlan Ladaks, which I had high hopes for but found that the gussetted tongue of the boot pressed down really hard on the top of both feet, and I was not sure if that would get better or worse as they broke in more.

The Montrail Torre GTXs fit great, but I tried the Traverse on just to see the difference, and much like the Asolos I found they were not as comfortable.

mdionne
11-30-2004, 01:23
It seems that I have been good this year (at least as far as Santa knows ;) ) and I am going to get a new set of boots. The main reason for getting a new set is that while my trusty Timberlands that I have had and worn for about 5 years now are great around town - they absolutely suck as hiking boots. I has blisters ringing both heels, and on the pads of my feet. I even had superfeet insoles and sock liners on. They just don't fit right for hiking. I think my socks were too thick as well, but I digress....

The boots I am curious about are:
Montrail Torre GTX
Montrail Traverse GTX
Asolo FSN 95 GTX
Asolo TPS 535
Asolo TPS Highland
Zamberlan Ladak (italian made)
Asolo TPS 520 GTX

As you can see most are gore tex lined. That is just the way it ended up working out. I have a $50 REI gift card, a 15% off coupon and an extra $100 to spend. Obviously the deal would be to buy the boots at REI, use the card and coupon save a good bit.

That being the case the above boots are the REI offerings that looked to be well made. The Zamberlan's are italian made, and while they are expensive they look very well made.

Anyone have any opinions on any of the boots above, or an alternate choice (preferably something REI carries, for the reasons above).

L.L. Bean's Cresta Hikers ($100)...lasted me from springer to new york where i lost them in a hitch. they would have gone the whole way easily. they need to be broken in bfore hiking however.

NICKTHEGREEK
12-09-2004, 08:11
I have had great luck with Lowa Renegades. They seem to fit my foot much better than any other boot I've tried. Break-in time has been virtually zero for every pair I own. I wear a pair of Renegade low cuts year-round almost every day. They are available with and without gore-tex liners.

Tripod
12-09-2004, 09:22
I also like the Lowa Renegade boots. I have owned 3 paires of Lowas with great results. You should also check out the "Soles" brand footbeds. You place them in the oven then in your shoes when you first get them. They mold to the bottom of your feet like custom footbeds. They are not cheap but in my opinion they are worth the extra price. Most good outfitters carry them or you can check out their web site at:

http://www.itsyoursole.com/

I have tried Supperfeet and for me Soles are better.

Highly recommended.....

ffstenger
12-09-2004, 09:22
I've used Cresta hikers from LL Bean (Itilian made, GTX lined) for hundreds of
miles. I use a gel insole as well. I have never had a blister, or wet feet !!
I completely wore out my first pair and love my (almost no break-in second pair)
just as well. I'd go with the Zamberlans from what I've read about them.

mdjeeper
12-11-2004, 22:16
i love my torre gtx's, basically had no break-in whatsoever, they handled the rocks up in the whites quite well, kept my feet nice and dry when i slipped on the log walkway through the AT river, handled hiking in smoe fresh snow and kept my feet nice and warm with midweight socks.

blairspangler
12-17-2004, 23:53
I too love my Torre GTX;s. I would recommend them to anyone whose feet they fit. They have great traction and are easy to break in. Like others have said though, the key is to what fits your feet. Have BOTH feet measured both sitting and standing. One of my feet is about a 1/2 size larger than the other. Ask the salespeople what brands or models of boots will best fit your foot type. Then try on as many boots as you can as many times as you can. Narrow it down to several pairs then come back another day and try them on again. Your feet change shape every day under different conditions. It may seem like overkill but I found a pair of boots that I love and fit great. No blisters or hotspots in around 100 miles so far.

Cehoffpauir
12-21-2004, 03:07
These are a bit more expensive, but one pair lasted my entire thru-hike, and they seem to have still miles to go.

Lowa Tahoe GTX $235

Great traction even up Katahdin, and on The Knife Edge. Well worth the price, for me.

bearbait2k4
12-21-2004, 04:10
You really just have to find the boot that is right for your own foot.

I know of many great boots that will just tear my feet up, and have no problems with boots and trail runners that countless others will have endless problems with. Everyone's foot is different.

Of course, if you really want some advice to help you, then tell us a little about your own feet. Width, size, stability, arch, etc. There are great shoes I can think of for people with narrow, flat feet. Others here can probably chime in on wide feet with super-high arches, as well. It really just depends on your foot.

bearbait2k4
12-21-2004, 04:14
The thing about superfeet to also consider is, like a boot, they have to be broken in.

The advice I've been given, and it seems to work for me, is to use them sparingly at first, switching them out with your original insoles, and then work up to daily wear.

Of course, the right size and support for your foot is essential. Talk to your local outfitter.

Jaybird
12-21-2004, 06:26
spend a few extra bucks & buy the VASQUE SUNDOWNERS.

they're worth it...rated #1 by Backpacker magazine (according to a survey of hikers/users) :D

Lobo
12-21-2004, 11:32
I also vote for Sundowners. I own 3 pairs...one retired pair from a thru-hike, one pair that has been repaired and has a few hundred miles of life left, and a new pair. Never had a blister with them!

Kerosene
12-21-2004, 13:27
I've had great luck with the Vasque Clarions, but I'd love to find a great-fitting boot at least a pound lighter than the 3.2 pounds of the Clarion GTX. I need to replace them (re-soling costs about half of the cost of a new boot) and I've been looking at other options. I just ran across the Garmont Eclipse (http://www.garmont.com/products_details.html?id=90&type=outdoors&category=trailsport_utility&page=1), a low-cut hiker with a toughened toe box and toe rand that weighs under 2 pounds. Decisions, decisions, decisions...