PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow morning.....

10-K
08-26-2010, 13:45
I'm going to drive out to Devil's Fork Gap in the morning and try to make it back to Erwin before dark...

33 miles with 13 or so hours of daylight - should even have enough time for a nice lunch on top of Big Bald and with any luck might even be able to find that piped spring I've been looking for that may be at Low Gap.

Tennessee Viking
08-26-2010, 13:52
Sounds like a long but good hike. I think once you get to Sugarloaf Gap from Devils Fork you should be fine.

Are you doing a water cache? I know Big Bald can get pretty dry on the climb.

10-K
08-26-2010, 13:59
Sounds like a long but good hike. I think once you get to Sugarloaf Gap from Devils Fork you should be fine.

Are you doing a water cache? I know Big Bald can get pretty dry on the climb.

I hiked Sam's Gap to Spivey Gap 2 weeks ago and the creek right before the climb up Big Bald was flowing ok. We've had a lot of rain since so I'm banking on it still flowing. Worse case I'll walk down the hill to the spring at the tent sites just south of the shelter.

I really want to find that piped spring I've been looking for too - I'm going to slow down around Low Gap and take another look.

mudhead
08-26-2010, 14:26
Stick a Photon in your pocket.

Gray Blazer
08-26-2010, 14:30
Man, if I walked 33 miles in 13 hours up and down those Mnts, I wouldn't be able to walk for the next three days.

sherrill
08-26-2010, 14:39
I really want to find that piped spring I've been looking for too - I'm going to slow down around Low Gap and take another look.

Take some pics if you find it. I'm curious if it's the same one that I'm thinking of on that section (I replied in your other thread about this spring). My wife and I camped there on our honeymoon hike.

10-K
08-26-2010, 14:39
Man, if I walked 33 miles in 13 hours up and down those Mnts, I wouldn't be able to walk for the next three days.

It's really not that bad... . Once you get to Big Bald, about 14 miles from DFG it's 70% downhill. Nice grade, switchbacks and only a few rocky sections make it a nice stretch to move over quickly.

I don't think I'd try this same hike in one day going SOBO though...

1azarus
08-26-2010, 15:26
...pretty sure you'll need that hammock for a mid-day nap!!!

Helios
08-26-2010, 15:27
Looks to be a nice day. I'm a bit envious! ENJOY!

10-K
08-26-2010, 15:43
Looks to be a nice day. I'm a bit envious! ENJOY!

It's a lot nicer now that it's not as it has been the past month or so. We're in the upper 50's at night now with highs in the mid 80's.

I wouldn't try this if the heat index was going to be 105* either.

Marta
08-26-2010, 20:53
...I really want to find that piped spring I've been looking for too - I'm going to slow down around Low Gap and take another look.

I hiked Erwin to Sam's Gap last weekend, checking all the water sources. The only listed one that was dry was the spring in Whistling Gap. Bone dry after two days of rain.

The piped spring at Low Gap was downhill from the trail, tucked into the hillside near the flattened campsites. It was flowing decently last Sunday.

10-K
08-27-2010, 21:05
I did hike from DFG to Erwin today. Nice weather and cooler temps made for a nice hike though it was a bit long. I started at 6:46 this morning and walked up to Uncle Johnny's at 5:30 this afternoon.

I wore my new Garmin Forerunner to try and pinpoint the location of the spring I've been looking for. I did find the piped spring at Low Gap but that's not the one I'm really trying to find... The piped spring I'm looking for is listed in The AT Guide at mile 321.3 (from Springer) and .8 miles from Big Bald. It is not listed in Bob McGaw's guide. I couldn't find it, even measuring distance with my Forerunner though it is in the area where I remember finding it once before.

The newer Garmin Forerunner's are pretty cool - you can transmit data wirelessly from the Forerunner to your computer and upload it to the web, complete with Google earth maps. Downside is battery life - my Forerunner's battery gave out around the 8 hour mark so I didn't get to record the entire hike.

Here's a link to see today's hike from DFG to about 1.5 mile north of Spivey Gap where the battery gave out. Have a look, it's pretty cool - elevation profile and everything...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/46406995?sms_ss=email