PDA

View Full Version : Nc road access

pacemaster
08-26-2010, 17:01
Planning a southbound trip from Bly Gap to Springer this fall. Is there any road access to Bly Gap. If not what would be the closest access point to the trail.

max patch
08-26-2010, 19:20
Heres your options:

1. Since you are in GA, the easiest would be Dicks Creek Gap which is about 9 miles south of the border. NOBO to the border, tag the sign, and start SOBO.

2. If you are lucky, the fs road to Blue Ridge Gap will be passable and you have a high clearance vehicle. This will get you about 3 miles south of the border. I wouldn't count on this road being passable, though. Mother Nature is the maintainer on this section; I'd PM her for current info.

3. This isn't as convenient to you, but you can drive to Deep Gap NC and start your SOBO there. About 7 miles north of the border. This would actually be my first choice to start if I wanted to SOBO GA.

4. There is an old jeep trail that goes to Bly. I haven't been on it in 20 years so I don't know what kind of shape it is in or if it even still exists. (It was a true "jeep trail" 20 years ago.) Don't have a clue how to find it. Ron Haven might know about it.

Trailweaver
08-26-2010, 22:40
I was just there about three weeks ago. There is no road access to Bly Gap. The closest thing to road access is Blue Ridge Gap, a FSR, which really is inaccessable at this time (road's in awful shape with gullies you wouldn't believe, and if you try it, you will likely ruin a vehicle). You could, however, get someone to drop you off at the road (I did), hike up the road one mile, then hike to Bly Gap (that's about 4 miles, and it's not a difficult hike). Then you could turn around and SOBO to Springer.

As others have mentioned the other option would be to start at Deep Gap (there's a really good road there) and SOBO or Dick's Creek Gap and NOBO to Bly, then turn around and SOBO.

I've been to Bly two times this year and have "kicked around" the Bly Gap camping area. . . if there was a jeep access road once, it's gone now, believe me. It was waist high in brush right next to the trail from Bly Gap NOBO.

generoll
08-27-2010, 08:16
I've dropped hikers off at Blue Ridge a few times this year. I haven't tried it since the deluge last Saturday, but a 4wd with decent ground clearance could make it.

Gray Blazer
08-27-2010, 08:54
I've dropped hikers off at Blue Ridge a few times this year. I haven't tried it since the deluge last Saturday, but a 4wd with decent ground clearance could make it.

There were some fun rock climbs along it last year. We made it in my 2 wheel drive Blazer with my son driving.

pacemaster
08-27-2010, 16:54
I like the sound of starting in Deep Gap NC. Thanks to all for your reply!

Skidsteer
08-27-2010, 18:41
I like the sound of starting in Deep Gap NC. Thanks to all for your reply!

That's what I would do. That's a nice section.

Just know that they close the gate to Deep Gap in the Winter. You should be all right in the Fall but if in doubt, or your trip gets pushed back, contact Ron Haven. he can tell you if it's open or not.