PDA

View Full Version : New Hiker

collegehiker
11-23-2004, 03:17
I am very new to hiking, and hiking the entire AT has been a dream of mine since I heard about it a few years ago. I plan to hike the entire At in early 2007 and I am trying to gain as much knowledge about every aspect of hiking the trail as I can. I have no idea what kind of gear I need, what I don't need, how to plan for food, and water consumption, and all the basic stuff that is essential. I know this is a pretty broad thread, but again, I am a brand-newbie to the idea of hiking. Any info or suggestions would be awesome.

Bloodroot
11-23-2004, 04:40
Well I answered with a lenghtly response so here's the short version.

Joining Whiteblaze was a great decision. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here. All these questions you have usually can be covered in the "Forums" section of this website. If not, post a thread, I'm sure you will get a sufficient response.

Being new to hiking/backpacking my best advice is to get out and do it. Take mental notes of the problems you've encountered. When you get back consider the solution.

Happy trails!

The Hog
11-23-2004, 07:40
I completely agree with Bloodroot. Between now and 2007, try to plan and execute at least a couple of one week trips on the A.T. That will forcefully demonstrate what most contributors to this site already know: that it's helpful to be in (very) good shape before you start, that you will want to ruthlessly minimize your pack weight to maximize your enjoyment of the hike, and that there are a multitude of ways to successfully hike the trail. The trick is to find out which ones work for you.

Pole Climber
11-23-2004, 08:06
I have been hiking for 12 years and spent a lot of money changing gear, I'm using a titanium cooking set costing about $90. If I would have started out with it first instead of trying 3 other kinds I wouldn't feel like it was so expensive. Sometimes I think I keep Campmor in business. You are wise by starting early.
Good luck

MOWGLI
11-23-2004, 08:06
I have no idea what kind of gear I need, what I don't need, how to plan for food, and water consumption, and all the basic stuff that is essential. I know this is a pretty broad thread, but again, I am a brand-newbie to the idea of hiking. Any info or suggestions would be awesome.

Well here is a suggestion or two. Before investing $1000 or more in gear for an endeavor that you may or may not enjoy, I would suggest you plan on doing a couple of overnight hikes. Stores like REI will rent you a backpack and a tent. You could eat cold food and therefore avoid spending money on a stove initially. Why not consider doing a backpacking trip for spring break? Lots of college students do that every year.

Here's the one bit of advice that too many spring break hikers never receive. Cotton kills. You need to get some synthetic hiking clothes. Nylon shorts, fleece, a duofold shirt. You could spend a ton of money on Patagonia or North Face gear (zip off pants) or go to someplace like Wal-Mart and get what you need for less cash. Every year Rangers have to rescue spring break hikers that are hypothermic or nearly hypothermic from getting caught in snow or cold rain in jeans and cotton t-shirts.

Good luck, have fun, be safe.

TakeABreak
11-23-2004, 08:15
College I agree with what the others say about making sure this is your gig before you fork the money, I might there ways of volunteering to do trail maintenance for a day, a week or two weeks. To do this go to www.appalachiantrail.org (http://www.appalachiantrail.org) you can manuever around through there and find different trail clubs and summer projects.

You may ask why I suggest this, well the majority of people wyou would be working with will accomplished thru hikers or accomplished section hikers, some of which will have the A.T. more than once and some who have the PCT and CDT.

Also check things here like lightweight gear forums, as MOWGLI16 stated switching gear can be more costly than buying the cheapest thing on the market. I to use a titanium cooking pot but started with an aluminum, I also use a Photon II flashlight and started with a headlamp. You can the weight difference of a lot of gear at www.rei.com (http://www.rei.com)

SGT Rock
11-23-2004, 08:49
Welcome to WhiteBlaze. Pick the brains of everyone and don't be afraid to ask questions. Even though we may have covered a topic before, seems like there is always time to cover it again. But we also have a ton of archives, searching can be fun and might bring up stuff you never thought to ask.

I recommend reading the $300 challenge, it can save you a lot of money. Most people end up changing out their gear, best not to overspend and become over attached to stuff you spent a fortune on. I often hear things like "but he had all the best top of the line gear" while I see people doing fine with cheap stuff.

Most of all I recommend you go hiking. No sense in spending $1000 on gear, saving for months, quitting you job, pissing off your girlfriend, giving away your dog, etc just to find out two weeks into your trip that you hate hiking or have an unrealistic expectation of what it is all about. Find a friend that like a lot of us, have extra gear around the house and can loan you some stuff and make recommendations from an experienced point of view.

Grampie
11-23-2004, 09:30
Like you, I was new at backpacking when I decided to thru-hike in 2000. At that time I didn't know that sites, like Whiteblaze, existed.
I ended up buying a book, The Thru-hikers Planning Guide. It is by Dan "Wingfoot" Bruce who had hiked the trail several times. This book will tell you everything you need to know to have a sucessfull thru-hike. I followed his advise and did.
Grampie-N->2001

MileMonster
11-23-2004, 10:43
Well, like the others have said, you've come to the right place. There are folks here with alot of miles under their packs and alot of knowledge about this trail in particular. It wouldn't surprise me to read someone writing "Just be careful of the 53rd wooden stair on your way down the north side of Moosilauke; it's a little loose."

Aside from what other folks have responded, I'd suggest reading alot of journals on http://www.trailjournals.com. There's so much info to gleen from journals, especially for a noob AT backpacker - when people start and why, what gear they start with, what gear they change, what gear they ditch, when/where they have problems, weather troubles, great places to stay, bad places to avoid, etc.. You have a few years so you can follow individuals all the way up the Trail next srping.

I'd suggest finding local hikers to do a few trips with. You could probably borrow gear from someone for a first trip, and seeing several different people's "systems" for doing things will help you alot. There should be a backpacking club or Sierra Club in your area. Both would have trips you could join. A thru-hiker I know from the Trail Talk section on thebackpacker.com is from Indiana and I believe from Indianapolis. His name is Crash! Bang! and he hiked this year. I'd suggest getting in touch with him and going out for coffee or something. I think he posts here sometimes or you can find him over there.

Just remember to take all the individual opinions as just that - opinion. Take it or leave it. However, most opinions expressed here are based on experience.

collegehiker
11-23-2004, 11:19
I'm so glad I have found this website. I have gotten some great responses, and found tons of info on this site, and I greatly appreciate all the people who have had experience hiking/backpacking sharing there knowledge and experience. My brother in law does have some hiking and backpacking gear that I could borrow and go out on a weekend or week long hike with. He has done some sections of the AT a few years ago and I have been relying mostly on his information and advice. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to find a boot that fits, and is comfortable. I have done my best but can't find how exactly to judge the fit.

MOWGLI
11-23-2004, 11:41
My brother in law does have some hiking and backpacking gear that I could borrow and go out on a weekend or week long hike with. He has done some sections of the AT a few years ago and I have been relying mostly on his information and advice.

I would not get totally fixated on the Appalachian Trail for a weekend outing. There are lots of great trails across the country, and so there is no need to drive 8-10 hours to hike on the AT. Especially considering you are in Indiana. What I would suggest is finding a good backcountry trail, get yourself a map of the area, and have at it! Compared to most long distance trails, the AT is "relatively" easy because resupply options are abundant, water sources are generally readily available, shelters can be found along the trail evey 8-12 miles, and there is an AVALANCHE of information about the trail.

Check out this link; http://www.in.gov/dnr/outdoor/hike/

I would suggest you find a friend to accompany you. Maybe your Brother-in-Law would be willing to join you.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to find a boot that fits, and is comfortable. I have done my best but can't find how exactly to judge the fit.

Go find yourself a good outfitter, and don't be afraid to ask the salesperson if they have been trained to fit customers in boots. Here's a link that is pretty good too;

http://fitsystembyphiloren.com/index2.html

Good luck.

A-Train
11-23-2004, 13:36
College,

I'd recommend reading journals on trailjournals.com if you haven't checked em' out already. The most accurate accounts of daily life on the AT. Mine is on their from 2003, and I was 19 when I started, taking time off from college.

If you've got any questions feel free to post them or send me a private message.

Ridge
11-24-2004, 11:28
I am very new to hiking
You should do lots and lots of dayhikes, with lots and lots of elevation gains. Then you should do overnigters, then longer overnighters. You get the picture, practice will help in making one a sucessful thru-hiker. Plus, if you have new hiking boots you will have them broken-in, along with the other gear. You will at least get a taste of whats required of you by first practicing.

Lilred
11-24-2004, 12:27
Does anyone have any suggestions about how to find a boot that fits, and is comfortable. I have done my best but can't find how exactly to judge the fit.

The best advice I got on buying boots came from Jaybird. When you go to a store and find a boot you think fits, plan on wearing it around the store for at least an hour. I went to Academy Sports and did this. After about 45 minutes I had sales clerks asking me where the box was for the boots I was wearing. LOL. They were keeping an eye on me for sure :-? . :bse But those boots have never given me a hot spot much less a blister. Be sure to have on socks that you will hike in. For not having a single clue as to what I was doing when buying those boots, I sure got a great pair. I think that's partly due to the great advice I got.

Ramble~On
11-25-2004, 04:36
You came to the right place.

I agree with everything mentioned so far.
I especially agree to the "get out and hike"... The more time you spend hiking the more you will learn about yourself.. and what suits you.
What gear works great for one person might not be right for you and there is a ton of options when it comes to gear.
What was mentioned above about trying different things before going with titanium pots is Sooooo Funny and true.
I am a packrat and I have about 10 different types of cooking stuff that now sits in my basement because I found titanium....which rendered the other stuff obsolete. 7 different stoves that gather dust since I went with alcohol...etc. etc.
Something that I've found out the expensive way is that everytime I find something that I just gotta have...I buy it and two weeks later they come out with something lighter, smaller and better.
My opinion.......when it comes to backpacking gear...you get what you pay for....but that is me....you might find that a 600 fill 3 lb sleeping bag that costs $100 is just as good as an 800 fill 1lb bag that costs $400.
Internal backpack or external ?
Down sleeping bag or Synthetic ?
White gas stove or alcohol ?
Water filter or chemicals or nothing at all ?
Tarp ? Tarptent ? Hammock ? or Tent ?
Again, the more time you spend hiking the more you'll figure out what gear best suits you.
I second the opinion above about Wingfoot's Thru-Hikers Planning Guide.
Good Luck and if you have any questions just start another thread.

Flash Hand
11-25-2004, 06:23
Hey collegehiker!

First of all, you will find everything in whiteblaze.net. Just INVEST numerous of time reading in here. If you invest good, you will get something. I become whiteblaze member one year this month. That time, I never had any backpacking experience. I never thought of go-ahead hike of Appalachian Trail in 2004. I never own any backpack. I never own anything. After reading the whiteblaze, believe it or not.. I determined I'm outta of here and hike the Appalachian Trail. I did it. I borrowed the pack from One Leg. I make several purchase. I am couch potato except a few miles of walk. 5 months after reading the whiteblaze.net I am on Appalachian Trail. The only reason I didnt finish after 523 miles is because of mismanagement of money. I am determined to go back next year in 2005. Nothing will stop me. I will start all over again.

I learned few mistakes. Here is the list:

1) No need to buy more than 3 or 4 days worth of food. YOu can go for 3 days. The resupply is plenty. The first day I bought more than 10 days worth of food. :datz

2) As an Arizonan, I underestimated the weather. I didn't bring any pants.. yes I am serious. I always use shorts. The weather can be extreme cold even if you start in April or even May. Just bring extra warm clothes and determine what is best for you.

3) buy the best gear you can have... you ll save money if you do. I have to switch several things during hiking. (i.e. lightweight tent, raincoat)

4) DON'T hike BIG MILES the first time!!! Try hike to next every shelter, approx 5 to 8 miles is the best for the newbies. If you are experienced or in great shape.. you can try a few extra miles. I never noticed the pain sensation in both of my feet and leg until after couple of hundred miles. The longer you drive car in the bumpy road, the quicker the shock absorber burnt out. So, consider your legs as a irreplacable shock absorber. Take good care of your legs... be nice to your legs.. Your legs are the one that will bring you from Georgia to Maine. Don't jump from rocks, no matter if its just small as a brick. Hike VERY easily when going down. Your leg will act like a 70,000 pounds tractor trailer on burning brake on 7% grade downhill. If you don't want to burnt out the brake on trailer.. then go down slowly and easy. This is one huge mistake I did. I learned from it.

Afterall, Whiteblaze members will be your friend.. and we will help you to find yourself sufficient with information.

Happy Hiking!

Flash Hand :jump

Jaybird
11-25-2004, 09:46
WELCOME collegehiker!

always glad to see a newbie ask questions....

as you'll find....& can see from all the posts thus far...the WhiteBlaze folks are very helpful with any & all subjects. No question is a dumb one!

You will also find...with as much info. you get out of books, literature, etc.,etc.....the best teacher is the trail itself....

you learn something each time out, i've found....& maybe a good teacher (seasoned hiker) can always help too. :D

good luck with your hike...i'll be out for 3 weeks in Spring 2005.
(Hot Springs,NC to Carvers Gap & then Damascus to Pearisburg,VA)

The Gnome
12-08-2004, 15:18
One tip:
See if there is an REI store in your area. They probably offer "backpacking 101" and "202" courses on a mid-week evening.
These are normally free but of course you are in THEIR store right next to all those expensive goodies on the shelf!
Its a great marketing tactic and you can take advantage.
Just leave your credit card at home.

The Will
12-08-2004, 17:13

First off, welcome to White Blaze. I hope you find this site to be as informative (and often entertaining) as I have. Most, if not all of us on this site share something in common--backcountry travel is our addiction. And we are happy to share it with others as this enriches are own experience.

Regarding boots, rather than saying anything specific about boot fit I would simply suggest finding a quality outfitter. Once found, don't be ashamed to ask who their most knowledgeable boot person is. The fit of a boot can be very particular and a knowlegeable person can guide you through brand, size and width, inserts and various sock combinations--all of which can make a significant difference in the comfort of the boot.

Many of us on this site strive to keep out pack weight low. Doing so allows us to use lighter, more comfortable footwear such as running shoes or a hiking-specific shoe. Shoes are much more forgiving than full leather boots and notwithstanding unusually weak ankles, heavy pack or demanding terrain, they are usually more than adequate for AT-type backpacking.

Welcome.

Goon
12-08-2004, 20:36
REI has some pretty good web pages on how to choose gear, including hiking boots.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/LearnShareArticlesList?categoryId=Camping