PDA

View Full Version : New Pack, or "What are you doing this weekend?"

Bucherm
08-27-2010, 01:17
Got my ULA Catalyst Thursday after playing tag with UPS for the past week. I plan on taking it on a 8 mile "break in" at Sky Meadows State Park this morning after I get off of work. No campouts, I'd already made plans to go up to Philly tomorrow(May be my last chance to see the Olympia before they sink her...*sigh*).

So what are you doing this weekend?

warraghiyagey
08-27-2010, 01:21
Shooting myself after reading this thread. . . .

Bucherm
08-27-2010, 01:44
Shooting myself after reading this thread. . . .

Good! Everyone talks about the surplus population, it's high time someone did something about it! :D

Helios
08-27-2010, 05:20
Hey! I'll be going through Sky Meadows next weekend. I'm being dropped of at Linden Saturday morning and hiking up to Harpers Ferry by Monday. Come out for an overnighter or two and really break that new pack in!

Bucherm
08-27-2010, 05:56
Hey! I'll be going through Sky Meadows next weekend. I'm being dropped of at Linden Saturday morning and hiking up to Harpers Ferry by Monday. Come out for an overnighter or two and really break that new pack in!

Alas, my plans for the Labor Day weekend are currently in Flux, so it's unlikely I'll be on the AT that weekend(it currently being more lihely that me and my brother will be on the Tuscarora Trail).

Graywolf
08-27-2010, 06:58
Guard drills in the morning, then off to REI for their annual clearance sale!! Then its off to Oklahoma for a two day jaunt on the Ouachitas, (Hopefully), then back here to do nothing.. Maybe a short bike tour now that things are cooled down..

Have a nice hike!!

mtnkngxt
08-27-2010, 07:21
Grayson Highlands loop after classes today. :banana

juma
08-27-2010, 07:36
phartaround loading up my gear and leaving sunday or monday for the 100-mile wilderness and some other sections I need up north.... probably take MY new pack from zpack out for a ride on the local fountainhead trail.

TinaLouise
08-27-2010, 08:37
Got my ULA Catalyst Thursday

testing out new gear is fun:banana

I'm taking out a group of new Boy scouts to Croatan National forest to hike the Neusiok Trail. We're expecting high waters, snakes and maybe a gattor sighting... sounds like fun, huh??!!!:D

Danielsen
08-27-2010, 09:04
...working. :o Planning and fantasizing about a bike tour I'll be doing up around Niagara falls (hello Canada!) next month.

cowpoke
08-27-2010, 09:14
.....waiting on my new Catalyst from ULA that I ordered this Monday......

peakbagger
08-27-2010, 11:59
You will like the pack, I bought one for doing treks in New Zealand this spring and it worked out well. One nice feature is that you can minimize the volume farily easily for when you dont have a lot of gear. One thing to note is that if you use treking poles you can remove the handloops from the shoulder straps prior to the trip. They are handy when hiking without poles. I also ordered the option to have the load hoop made in three sections, with the hoop out the pack rolls up and fits in my suit cas efor travel.

By the way, I am going to do the Baldpates in Maine via the old AT through Frye Brook and then doing Mt Mansfield in VT on Sunday. The weather forecast for New England is sun all the way into next Thursday. I expect the thruhikers are going to love it (expect for the crowds in the whites!)

mudhead
08-27-2010, 12:25
What is the story on the road they punched in next to that?

Pretty spot/trail up thru there.

warraghiyagey
08-27-2010, 12:49
Good! Everyone talks about the surplus population, it's high time someone did something about it! :D
:p:p. . .

Just readjusting to life off the trail and dreaming of weekend trips back into the trees and the mountains. . . :sun

Bare Bear
08-27-2010, 14:54
I'll be kayaking around Joes Bayou
cause it is too dang hot to hike.

BadAndy
08-27-2010, 16:11
Loaded up my new Flash 65 for a test today. Love it and can't wait to get it out some more. Working night shift for the next 3 nights now so that's it for the weekend :(

No Belay
08-28-2010, 20:31
I'll be going to warraghiyagey's funeral and drinking all the brew he left in the fridge afterwards. :)

Do you need a passport to go to New England?

Jonnycat
08-28-2010, 20:53
Sitting on my skinny ass, eating fatty food, and playing with the dog.

<----- just got back from 12 days on the PCT

STICK
08-28-2010, 21:02
How much weight will you be carrying in the pack? I was able to try on the Circuit a few weekends ago at the NOC in Gatlinburg and it left me with wonder. I had two sleeping bags and 4 weights that was said to equal 25 lbs inside the pack. With this I wasn't too impressed. The weight seemed to be pulling on my shoulders regardless of how much I tightened the hip belt. It also felt like a large lump on my back, however I would imagine that if I took extra care as to how it was packed that may have differed. It did have the internal suspension hoop in it but it didn't seem to help the structure of the pack with this amount of weight. Anyway, I am not giving up on the ULA packs. Seems lots of folks like them, so there must be something that I missed. My goal is to carry between 28 - 35 lbs so I need a pack to carry that... Anyway, I am curious as to what you will carry in this pack since it is rated to carry up to 40 lbs.

Bucherm
08-30-2010, 21:35
How much weight will you be carrying in the pack? I was able to try on the Circuit a few weekends ago at the NOC in Gatlinburg and it left me with wonder. I had two sleeping bags and 4 weights that was said to equal 25 lbs inside the pack. With this I wasn't too impressed. The weight seemed to be pulling on my shoulders regardless of how much I tightened the hip belt. It also felt like a large lump on my back, however I would imagine that if I took extra care as to how it was packed that may have differed. It did have the internal suspension hoop in it but it didn't seem to help the structure of the pack with this amount of weight. Anyway, I am not giving up on the ULA packs. Seems lots of folks like them, so there must be something that I missed. My goal is to carry between 28 - 35 lbs so I need a pack to carry that... Anyway, I am curious as to what you will carry in this pack since it is rated to carry up to 40 lbs.

I think I ended up carrying in the neighborhood of 35lbs on Friday. It was quite a bit better than my Kelty Coyote, it seemed as if there was nothing on my back(admittedly the 8 mile loop of Sky Meadows is relatively easy walking). FWIW word on the Interwebs is that people have crammed over 50lbs in there with no trouble.

My understanding is that the Circuit doesn't have stays and isn't a "real" internal frame pack because of it? Maybe that's why you had trouble? :-?

wicca32
08-30-2010, 22:59
Guard drills in the morning, then off to REI for their annual clearance sale!! Then its off to Oklahoma for a two day jaunt on the Ouachitas, (Hopefully), then back here to do nothing.. Maybe a short bike tour now that things are cooled down..

Have a nice hike!!
I'm currently in Oklahoma....love those "mountains". Have a blast!

Jonnycat
08-31-2010, 00:12
My goal is to carry between 28 - 35 lbs so I need a pack to carry that...

I am using a Nimbus Ozone at those weights, and it handles it beautifully. I can put every ounce on my hips if I want to, and I usually do as I have upper neck/shoulder issues. It uses a delrin framesheet, which is thick and stiff, and quite effectively transfers the pack weight into the hip belt. It does weigh three pounds, but for my money it's worth it (pack weight, and back comfort, is not something I am willing to shave weight off of just to look good).

If you can try one, you may find it to be a suitable solution.

Erin
08-31-2010, 00:14
Preparing gear and doing home, car and yard stuff before my 12 day vacation and section of the SHT in Minnesota in ten days....yipee!!!

Danielsen
08-31-2010, 06:40
I'm currently in Oklahoma....love those "mountains". Have a blast!

Apparently the Ouachitas are a displaced portion of the original appalachian orogeny. So apparently, Graywolf will be hiking in the appalachians in the same sense that they plan to extend the AT through scotland and morrocco.

Jonnycat
08-31-2010, 14:25
Preparing gear and doing home, car and yard stuff before my 12 day vacation and section of the SHT in Minnesota in ten days....yipee!!!

Nice, that sounds like something to look forward to!

Sierra Echo
08-31-2010, 21:53
I'm gonna be hiking all weekend. I plan to retake the gorge floor trail at Tallulah gorge. If i fall in again, I plan to pull a better looking man in with me this time.

Danielsen
09-01-2010, 00:54
Going on the next weekend already? I suppose I'll work some more but have a nice dinner and cheesecake for my birthday, celebration with dad. Possibly order my new bag and pack.