PDA

View Full Version : Wind Rain and Cold Gear for Texas

snarbles
11-23-2004, 12:04
I'm here in Texas and I admit our idea of cold is nothing compared to you guys up north. Eitherway I am trying to put together a some wind/rain/and mild cold protection for the not so cold Texas. Cold front's in Texas go down to around maybe 20 degrees even in the winter or at least where I'm heading. Don't need a crazy amount of warm clothes, but enough to be comfortable and safe. Since this forum has become my home for learning about great ideas for light backpacking I thought I would get your opinions.

Here are my thoughts for rain and wind:

GoLite Umbrella - good ventillation rain gear

Montane Superfly - lightest rain jacket, but is it windproof too?
OR INSTEAD
Montane Lightspeed Windshirt - maybe with the umbrella I won't need a "full" rain jacket?

Rain pants - ? GoLite Reed, or just my quick drying convertible Northface pants.

For warmth:
Base layer - usual polyester shirt and undies
REI expedition weight fleece underwear top and bottom to add to base layer.

I'm trying to go as light and comfortable and haven't figured out the point of having a wind shirt AND a rain jacket since to me it seems the rain jacket could perform as a wind shirt too (or am I incorrect?). I also don't mind getting a little wet as long as it's not too miserable and cold. I have been reading up for the last 3 days since on rain/wind gear since it has been raining non-stop here in Houston.......

JimSproul
11-23-2004, 14:44
Unless you are going to the Piney Woods of East Texas (Huntsville Area) you might as well leave the umbrella home. The wind is too constant and the tree cover too sparse. In West Texas, anywhere north and or west of Big Bend you can find winter temps that get very cold, at least the 20's and you will need something warmer than you may suspect. The Lubbock area has already had a little snow this year.

You might check out Hiking and Backpacking Trails of Texas by Micket Little, ISBN 0-88415-325-8 for good trail info.

SGT Rock
11-23-2004, 14:57
IMO you could probably get a surplus field jacket liner and pants and have less weight than the expedition fleece for better warmth.

Pencil Pusher
11-23-2004, 16:15
Maybe letting folks know where you're planning to hike would help them offer better/alternative gear or trail thoughts.

snarbles
11-23-2004, 16:22
Maybe letting folks know where you're planning to hike would help them offer better/alternative gear or trail thoughts.
My goal is for a weeklong trip in Big Bend in West Texas.

snarbles
11-23-2004, 16:23
Also, can a Waterproof rain jacket like the Montane Superfly be a good wind blocker too or is it really two different things (a wind jacket and a rain jacket).

Youngblood
11-23-2004, 16:25
Also, can a Waterproof rain jacket like the Montane be a good wind blocker too?

I think if it is waterproof that it will block the wind. The question will be if it is breathable enough to use as a wind jacket, because if it isn't it might be too warm to hike in unless it is pretty cold.

Youngblood

snarbles
11-24-2004, 01:44
Thanks guys. I still consider myself a noob when it comes to light backpacking. I will probably look into a high loft down for the cold in Big Bend once the time comes. Mostly it's the cold fronts and rain I have to deal with.

Guess for now I'll get the Montane Superfly as my rain/wind jacket. Keep the umbrella for warmer days that aren't too windy....

HikeLite
11-24-2004, 13:23
SGT,

What are the lowest temps you feel comfy wearing the field jacket and pants?

SGT Rock
11-28-2004, 14:18
Well, I feel comfortable with a base layer of long underwear, the field pants and liners, and a set of rain gear while stationary for the most part even into the 20s. Much more than that and I go to the inside of a bag.