PDA

View Full Version : Poop On A Rock

Old Grouse
08-27-2010, 17:44
It happened again today. I often see a pile of poop from some small animal hung on a rock in the middle of the trail. I have to assume this is some sort of territory-marking behavior, since it obviously takes some effort for the animal to stack it up there. Is there a scatologist among us who can illuminate me?

canoehead
08-27-2010, 18:08
Coyotes, fox like to make there mark on a rock on the trail.

Pedaling Fool
08-27-2010, 18:17
I often see these strange turds on my driveway and walkway. They're single logs nearly an inch long and about 1/2" in diameter. It's been driving me crazy, but I think I finally figured out the culprit -- big toads. I've noticed they're all over the place at night and I've found many hiding under stuff during the day. It's the only thing I can figure, because I know they are prolific feeders.

P.S. Note I didn't use the term "pile" -- turd is a very apt description and the only way I can describe them.

Many Walks
08-27-2010, 18:35
Canoehead is right, coyote and fox will mark territory on a rock because it's hard for the other critters to miss it at that level. However, we did see a thru hiker dumping in the middle of the trail and took off when he spotted us. He had the trail name "Trail Sh____r" for a while till he yellow blazed ahead to outrun his new name.

Old Grouse
08-27-2010, 19:12
Thanks for the info. I'd say from the size I'm seeing that it's fox scat, since - extrapolating from my experience with dogs - the coyotes in this area ought to leave bigger piles.

Elder
08-27-2010, 19:30
:-? Could also be, and very likely is Raccoon.
They call raccoon poop "humor" because they like to leave it on a rock in the trail.
Got pictures?

txag
08-27-2010, 19:38
Strangely enough my hiking partner and I noticed the same thing this year. A retired forest ranger told my buddy that these "splats" were bear poop. I even Googled "do bears **** on rocks" but got no definitive answer. Maybe there is a thesis or dissertation in this? It seems rather hard to do......

Old Grouse
08-27-2010, 20:09
:-? Could also be, and very likely is Raccoon.
They call raccoon poop "humor" because they like to leave it on a rock in the trail.
Got pictures?

No, I didn't think to bother today, but I'm sure I'll have another chance. Heck, you've all seen them, right?

Old Grouse
08-27-2010, 20:11
You know, this internet thing may just catch on. Based on this http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2004/11/you-dont-know-squat.html

I'd say I saw fox scat today.

canoehead
08-27-2010, 20:30
For some reason they like the open areas they use the trail to travel so it is a good place for them to take a dump and let the neighbors know it.

Daydream Believer
08-27-2010, 20:37
Horses, stallions in particular, will make manure piles to mark their territory.

cevans
08-27-2010, 20:37
most animals are territorial,,especially the Alpha Males of each breed,,and they all at sometime of the year,,mark their territories by urinating or defecating, or like whitetail deer family,,making scrapes and then urinating in them,,as well as for breeding purposes..

General Fireball
08-27-2010, 21:50
I have always been told that they poop on rocks or other wide open places because in those spots the breeze will pick up the scent and spread it around to the maximum degree--rather than hiding in grass or leaves . . .

Hoop
08-27-2010, 23:26
john gault - you're right, those are toad turds.

leaftye
08-28-2010, 01:08
I noticed these last winter...or rather, spring. On every flat rock that protruded from the snow, there laid a poop on top. Little turds. No tracks around them either.

Old Grouse
08-28-2010, 06:35
Say, maybe we should learn from the creatures of the forest and do the same. We could do away with trail registers that way.

chiefiepoo
08-28-2010, 19:13
Good book to be found in most NP book stores, "Who Pooped in the Park". is illustrated.

No Belay
08-28-2010, 20:40
You can tell when it gets to hot to hike. The forum topics go to CH!T. :o

TaTonka

Sarcasm the elf
08-28-2010, 20:49
Good book to be found in most NP book stores, "Who Pooped in the Park". is illustrated.

Just found the book on Amazon... and I was sure you were joking when I read the post above. It looks like there is a whole series of them, each written specifically for a different national park.

http://www.amazon.com/Gary-D.-Robson/e/B000APTG5K/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

I'm tempted to buy one to use as a bathroom reader.:D

IceAge
08-30-2010, 14:35
One of my deer hunting spots is on a rock ledge overlooking a small valley. To get to the overhang that I like to sit on, you must leap over at least 2 large cracks, each at least 3' wide and fight through thick brambles.

I got to my spot there last year and was amazed to find fox turds! Right on the very edge of the overhang, right where I sit! Why would they go to such lengths to crap in such an out of the way spot?

middle to middle
08-30-2010, 15:02
Those warm rocks in the middle of the trail must be very inviting. I do not recall why but I think they are racoons who claim those spots.

middle to middle
08-30-2010, 15:10
I do recall why ! A guy with the trail name Racoon who said he belonged to the Rainbow family also told me that. I was not one to argue with a guy named Racoon. He seemed to be a knowledgable rational guy.

jtbradyl
09-16-2010, 21:45
Ahhhh, giving real meaning to the term "poop deck"

leaftye
09-17-2010, 00:09
One of these days I want to catch these rock poopers on camera because I swear those lil critters are laughing hysterically as they do their deed.

C Seeker
09-19-2010, 08:19
if the poop has hair in it, then it belongs to the lovely animal called a coyote.

JAK
09-19-2010, 12:46
Poop on a rock. **** on a stick. Crap on a cape.
All part of a pattern. It's a conspiracy of some sort.

Puke on a Pack. Piss on a Parade. the list is endless

JAK
09-19-2010, 12:50
Not to be confused with Muck on a Ruck.
That's perfectly natural and shouldn't be of any concern.

yari
09-19-2010, 18:53
I had a dog that always tried to poop on a rock, the higher the better. If there wasn't a rock around he would back into a bush or tree to get it onto the highest branch possible. I can not even begin to tell you why and he is the only dog I have ever seen like that.

Sure made picking up the poop easier.

Old Grouse
09-19-2010, 19:05
A friend of mine had a Gordon Setter that liked to hang 'em in bushes.

Franco
10-04-2010, 01:19
Wombats (here in Australia....) do that.
Some think that it is a territorial thing, others have even suggested that they use rocks to wipe their bum however I tend to think that the most plausible reason is that it is a marker for that individual so that he can find his way home.
They have poor eyesight but a good sense of smell.
Franco

RevLee
10-08-2010, 22:23
We always called those "trophy turds" because they seemed so proud of them.

northernstorm
10-10-2010, 01:44
Wow, I came upon a good sized dump on a rock and the turd was still steaming!!! It did have hair in it. A lot actually. Crazy to think it could have been a coyote

snorz
10-10-2010, 22:03
Did you look up & see someone smiling at you?

Username75
10-11-2010, 15:30
It could be a Rabid Republican wanting .His and or Her
country back

txag
11-20-2010, 02:37
I had the same question as the OP but spent the summer hiking out of Santa Fe at altitudes above 10,000' and did not see this there. Now after being snowed (really "iced") out of those elevations we are hiking out of the nearby decomposed granite/upper Sonoran desert Sandia range (today at 7500' to 9000').

Note the 2 splats on this rock - what kind of critter did this? I have several other pics but given their similar content will not post them unless upon request. Probably only 15 people on the trail today but at least 8 had to pass in a group while I was taking a pic of this. My hiking partners enjoyed enlightening them of my subject matter.

Just trying to do good work for the site.......

Lone Wolf
11-20-2010, 07:41
poop in a jar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWtIuZLJWpA&feature=related

Lone Wolf
11-20-2010, 07:45
[QUOTE=Lone Wolf;1070673]poop in a jar

let's try it again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkY4pKLCEDI&feature=related

Wise Old Owl
11-20-2010, 13:24
I often see these strange turds on my driveway and walkway. They're single logs nearly an inch long and about 1/2" in diameter. It's been driving me crazy, but I think I finally figured out the culprit -- big toads. I've noticed they're all over the place at night and I've found many hiding under stuff during the day. It's the only thing I can figure, because I know they are prolific feeders.

P.S. Note I didn't use the term "pile" -- turd is a very apt description and the only way I can describe them.

Cat.and or skunk. No kidding.