PDA

View Full Version : anyway to keep mayonaisse besides packetes?

ncmtns
08-27-2010, 21:01
I wonder if there is a safe way to keep mayo on a warm 4 day hike besides using those mayo packets?

Lyle
08-27-2010, 21:21
.....nope....

weary
08-27-2010, 21:48
The taste of commercial mayonaise deteriorates after a few days, but FDA regs require manufacturers to add vinegar or other acids to eliminate the likelihood of health problems.

Once mayonaise develops off flavors -- after a week or so in the summer -- toss it. Otherwise if it tastes okay, it is okay.

Weary

budforester
08-27-2010, 22:20
I agree with Weary. Mayonaise, by itself, is fairly stable. Try to seal it tight, protect it from light, keep it cool as you can, and don't jostle it too much... large orders ;)
I wonder if one of those squeeze- tubes would work to expell most of the air before returning it to the food bag; and one could avoid dipping utensils into the supply.

rickb
08-28-2010, 06:37
Check this out--- scroll to the last 3 paragraphs.

http://www.cainsfoods.com/Faqs.html

leaftye
08-28-2010, 06:55
You probably already know the site, but for others:

http://www.minimus.biz/search.aspx?keyword=mayonnaise

Graywolf
08-28-2010, 07:35
Mayo is an egg product. Unless its in the packages, I would be very careful. I wouldnt risk a hike on it..

Lyle
08-28-2010, 08:36
Check this out--- scroll to the last 3 paragraphs.

http://www.cainsfoods.com/Faqs.html

Wow. Learn something new every day. Interesting.

Rain Man
08-28-2010, 08:54
Wow. Learn something new every day. Interesting.

Yes, I agree! Brings to mind the fact that my wife is a Yankee and I'm a Southerner. Yes, I confess, we have a mixed marriage. It's amazing the things that she thinks we should keep in the refrigerator and the things we should leave out, versus the things I think belong in the fridge or not. Most just based on what our parents did, with little regard to the truth of the matter.

Of course, decades ago I learned the wisdom of saying "Yes, Dear." :D

Rain:sunMan

weary
08-28-2010, 09:58
Mayo is an egg product. Unless its in the packages, I would be very careful. I wouldnt risk a hike on it..
Here's what one manufacturer of mayonaise says:

"Why did I think mayonnaise was a cause for food poisoning?

"This is a myth that was started years ago when people made homemade mayonnaise. Homemade mayonnaise was prepared using unpasteurized eggs which today we know can be contaminated with Salmonella bacteria. Also, homemade formulas, quite often did not use the proper levels of salt and vinegar to combat bacterial growth. With the introduction of commercial mayonnaise, consumers have a safe alternative to homemade formulas.

"If I forget to refrigerate my mayonnaise for a period of time must I dispose of it?

"From a food safety standpoint, it is perfectly fine to keep commercial mayonnaise once opened, stored at room temperature. However, from a quality standpoint, mayonnaise retains its flavor best when stored in the refrigerator once opened. Therefore, we recommend that once opened the product is stored in the refrigerator to maintain its best flavor."

kayak karl
08-28-2010, 10:44
you could make up a NO egg-mayo http://www.grouprecipes.com/14764/no-egg-real-mayonnaise.html
there are others made with tofu, but i don't know it shelf life.

weary
08-28-2010, 10:45
The paranoid among us, may be pleased to learn that the millions of eggs recalled in the recent samonella scare won't be wasted. I read, probably in the Wall Street Journal, that they are being pasteurized and sold to mayonaise manufacturers.

Well, the eggs that were still around, anyway. The samonella outbreak had been traced to eggs purchased by consumers last April. I tend to stock up on eggs only when they are on sale. But any I bought in April have long since been eaten.

Weary

Old Grouse
08-28-2010, 11:01
I have a small flock of chickens. If one of my girls is sick, I will know it. Needless to say, that doesn't happen with a cast of thousands.

Appalachian Tater
08-28-2010, 11:17
Just carry a small jar of mayo if you eat it a lot. In the hot summer temperatures it may change texture but should still be safe to eat.

http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/fsrl/pubs/Handouts/mayo.pdf

The brochure isn't exactly from an unbiased source but everything in it is true as far as I know.

Fiddleback
08-28-2010, 11:23
I agree with Weary. Mayonaise, by itself, is fairly stable. Try to seal it tight, protect it from light, keep it cool as you can, and don't jostle it too much... large orders ;)

Absolutely! After all, the unrefrigerated mayo bought at the grocery store could quite likely be weeks if not months old. Further, the container I just opened is marked, "Best when used by 07 Jan 2011." And that's a quality issue, not a food safety deadline.

Most food is safe if it's kept away from bugs, the air, dirty hands and utensils, etc. (that presumes it was 'clean' when it was packed in the first place). Refrigeration does not stop spoilage, nor does heat cause spoilage. Temperature merely changes the rate of spoilage and refrigeration, a fairly new advance of our civilization, has allowed us to eat food that is not as fresh as food we would eaten have otherwise.

IMO, kitchen and personal hygiene are the more important factors in keeping food safe on the trail.

FB

kayak karl
08-28-2010, 11:52
would putting mayo in these help.

http://images.nittanyweb.com/scs/images/products/21/large/liberty_mountain_coghlans_squeeze_tubes_159204_p60 261.jpg
air seemed to be the worst we dealt with in restaurants. mayo on fix-in's bar would brown and not LOOK appetizing.

SMSP
08-28-2010, 12:09
How much mayo you planning on carrying?

It would be interesting to know what one of those mayo packets weighs empty?
Those packets come in different sizes also.

I usually take some extra from Chic-Fil-A or whereever.

SMSP

Tipi Walter
08-28-2010, 12:43
Here's what I do on my long 15-18 day trips: Get a Nalgene 8oz wide mouth container, pack it with Vegenaise soy based mayonnaise(it's good), and go backpacking.

http://www.followyourheart.com/product-family.php?id=14

Lyle
08-28-2010, 12:50
would putting mayo in these help.

http://images.nittanyweb.com/scs/images/products/21/large/liberty_mountain_coghlans_squeeze_tubes_159204_p60 261.jpg
air seemed to be the worst we dealt with in restaurants. mayo on fix-in's bar would brown and not LOOK appetizing.

Now this is something I know I know!!! From personal experience.

The clips that seal the tubes do not work well with oily products. They often leak. If they don't leak, they have a tendency to break entirely at inopportune times, like right after you filled one with honey or jam, and placed it into your pack.

I used to try to use them, but I avoid them now since the advent of plastic jars.

IronGutsTommy
08-28-2010, 13:28
Just rock out with some mustard, your body will thank you later

Graywolf
08-28-2010, 13:31
Here's what one manufacturer of mayonaise says:

"Why did I think mayonnaise was a cause for food poisoning?

"This is a myth that was started years ago when people made homemade mayonnaise. Homemade mayonnaise was prepared using unpasteurized eggs which today we know can be contaminated with Salmonella bacteria. Also, homemade formulas, quite often did not use the proper levels of salt and vinegar to combat bacterial growth. With the introduction of commercial mayonnaise, consumers have a safe alternative to homemade formulas.

"If I forget to refrigerate my mayonnaise for a period of time must I dispose of it?

"From a food safety standpoint, it is perfectly fine to keep commercial mayonnaise once opened, stored at room temperature. However, from a quality standpoint, mayonnaise retains its flavor best when stored in the refrigerator once opened. Therefore, we recommend that once opened the product is stored in the refrigerator to maintain its best flavor."

I would like to know what manufacture this is. I work around food. Its my job. I see jars coming in all the time. Sealed jars are vaccume sealed to keep out air. Once th air gets into the food, it needs to be refrigerated. Thats why the little packages are safe but the jars are not. Maybe a day, But I wouldnt keep any maynaise jar out for any length of time. I have a krafte jar here with me right now, and it even says "Refrigerate after Opening"..

But then again, Thats me. If you want to carry a jar of mayo with you, go right ahead. But I wouldn't.. Its too risky for me..

weary
08-28-2010, 13:43
I would like to know what manufacture this is. I work around food. Its my job. I see jars coming in all the time. Sealed jars are vaccume sealed to keep out air. Once th air gets into the food, it needs to be refrigerated. Thats why the little packages are safe but the jars are not. Maybe a day, But I wouldnt keep any maynaise jar out for any length of time. I have a krafte jar here with me right now, and it even says "Refrigerate after Opening"..

But then again, Thats me. If you want to carry a jar of mayo with you, go right ahead. But I wouldn't.. Its too risky for me..
The quote was from the site Rickb cited. Cain Foods.

But similar messages can be found from many sources. One scientific study a while back found that rather being a source of food poisoning, the presence of mayonaise actually reduced the likelihood of being poisoned when used on foods such as potato salad.

Weary

Graywolf
08-28-2010, 13:57
The quote was from the site Rickb cited. Cain Foods.

But similar messages can be found from many sources. One scientific study a while back found that rather being a source of food poisoning, the presence of mayonaise actually reduced the likelihood of being poisoned when used on foods such as potato salad.

Weary

Well, thats true, but even Potato salad needs to be refrigerated. Would you eat potato salads from a restraunt that has been left out over night?? Ask your self that question..I diffintely wont..

Graywolf
08-28-2010, 14:10
I must add, Commercially made mayo is very high in acids, actually, if done right, homemade mayo should be too, Its mostly oil and egg with some seasonings, and acids such as lemon juice. The lemon juice prohibit bactarial growth because bacteria cannto gor in high acid environments. That said, it probablly is true that mayo can hold up on a short trip, but on a prolonged trip, I still wouldn't risk it. I do carry the small packets, one they are small, take up less pack space and weigh a whole lot less then a jar of mayo.

So what would I do? forget the risks and just go hiking, there are a lot more risks out there that we are facing...

weary
08-28-2010, 14:34
I must add, Commercially made mayo is very high in acids, actually, if done right, homemade mayo should be too, Its mostly oil and egg with some seasonings, and acids such as lemon juice. The lemon juice prohibit bactarial growth because bacteria cannto gor in high acid environments. That said, it probablly is true that mayo can hold up on a short trip, but on a prolonged trip, I still wouldn't risk it. I do carry the small packets, one they are small, take up less pack space and weigh a whole lot less then a jar of mayo. ...
Back in the 60s, when such things were all the rage, I used to make my own mayonaise. My wife complained, however, that she preferred Hellmans. So I switched. It may have saved me from both a divorce -- and
food poisoning. I don't remember ever adding much lemon juice.

Weary

Graywolf
08-28-2010, 14:41
Back in the 60s, when such things were all the rage, I used to make my own mayonaise. My wife complained, however, that she preferred Hellmans. So I switched. It may have saved me from both a divorce -- and
food poisoning. I don't remember ever adding much lemon juice.

Weary

Its what ever acid you want in it.. BUt lemon juice is the most common. Ive veen seen lime juice. Another common ingredient is Vinegar. Its in the acid. I prefer hand made over any commercial made anyday, but commercial made is easier to obtain..

In school we had to make mayo for a full week. I got sick of it till I figured out how to make different versions of it...I even have a mayo-horseradish version I use.. Its all fun..

Rocket Jones
08-28-2010, 14:46
Now this is something I know I know!!! From personal experience.

The clips that seal the tubes do not work well with oily products. They often leak. If they don't leak, they have a tendency to break entirely at inopportune times, like right after you filled one with honey or jam, and placed it into your pack.

I used to try to use them, but I avoid them now since the advent of plastic jars.

Here's an idea. Check one of the art supply stores like Dick Blick, Jerry's Art-O-Rama or Cheap Joe's (online would probably work better). They sell empty tubes with caps like you'd find paint in. A smaller size - say 2 ounces - is about a buck and a 5 ounce size is maybe a buck and a half.

Fill with whatever, then fold over the bottom twice and crimp with pliers. Fold again and crimp.

These wouldn't be reusable. The seal at the bottom is excellent. They're designed to hold oil paint, so mayo shouldn't be a problem.

I've never tried it, but I've never needed to carry more mayo than a few packets worth on a trip.

Old Grouse
08-28-2010, 15:33
[QUOTE=Rocket Jones;1044058]Here's an idea. Check one of the art supply stores like Dick Blick, Jerry's Art-O-Rama or Cheap Joe's (online would probably work better). They sell empty tubes with caps like you'd find paint in. A smaller size - say 2 ounces - is about a buck and a 5 ounce size is maybe a buck and a half.

Better find out if those tubes are made of lead or something else you wouldn't want to ingest.