PDA

View Full Version : Go Lite backPacks

Megapixel
08-27-2010, 21:16
My wife and I are set to thru hike in 2011 and are considering switching out our packs to save some weight: hers is a gregory z pack and i use a granite gear vapor trail.

Any thoughts on this? We both are comfortable in the packs we have now, and are wondering what people have thought of Go Lite backpacks, and the customer service.

Deadeye
08-27-2010, 21:24
We both are comfortable in the packs we have now

What more do you need?

Megapixel
08-27-2010, 21:45
[QUOTE=less;1043936] to save some weight:

Megapixel
08-27-2010, 21:48
changing out our packs to save some weight:

sorry about the previous post, should've previewed first.

Freedom Walker
08-27-2010, 22:03
I recently ordered the Golite Odyssey and have used it twice. I had a 7 pound pack and cut the weight to 3 lb 12 ounces for a 5400 cubic inch pack. I like it so far and part of the reason I chose this pack in part was these reviews. GoLite Odyssey Pack - BackpackGearTest.org (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%20External%20Framed%20Backpacks/GoLite%20Odyssey%20Pack/)

Danielsen
08-27-2010, 22:25
That vapor trail is already in the "pretty darn light for its capacity" range. Are you also able to work with a smaller pack, or are you looking for something lighter with the same capacity? And what is your intended baseweight (if you're hauling 30+ pounds you may want to stick with what you've got, which handles weight well).

Bags4266
08-27-2010, 23:36
I can only speak for the Golite Pinnacle. At 2lbs its quite large. I have had 35lbs in it without any problem. I like the roll top for reducing size and the hip pockets. Mine is well made and I don't baby it, its holding up well.

skinewmexico
08-28-2010, 00:22
I think there are much better choices. GoLite packs have all gained about 50% of their old weight the last two years. Buy a ULA, help someone in Utah make their payroll. Or Gossamer Gear, in Austin. Or MLD, SMD, etc.

bulldog49
08-28-2010, 11:57
Both packs you have now are reasonably light. I wouldn't change. Comfort and fit are far more important than a few ounces.

Megapixel
08-28-2010, 16:05
That vapor trail is already in the "pretty darn light for its capacity" range. Are you also able to work with a smaller pack, or are you looking for something lighter with the same capacity? And what is your intended baseweight (if you're hauling 30+ pounds you may want to stick with what you've got, which handles weight well).

25 lbs. should be the most I'll be carrying at any given time on the hike. The Z pack is the one were most interested in switching out due to weight savings, but I thought I could drop even a half a pound from the gg vt to a go lite... maybe i'm wrong.

Megapixel
08-28-2010, 16:07
Definitely will check out some other brands, including ULA. thanks for pointing these out.

Danielsen
08-28-2010, 17:10
25 lbs. should be the most I'll be carrying at any given time on the hike. The Z pack is the one were most interested in switching out due to weight savings, but I thought I could drop even a half a pound from the gg vt to a go lite... maybe i'm wrong.

You probably can drop a half pound with a golite, and probably even more with other packs. It's important to consider a pack's comfort with a given load, though. A 4-pound external frame backpack might leave you less tired after hauling 35 lbs all day than a 24 oz. internal frame with the same load. I know my GG (vapor flash), while the heaviest pack I own, is also the best for carrying any load over 25 lbs, at least for me. So balancing pack weight vs. required comfort can be pretty important, and the only way to tell what works for you is to try them on, I suppose. Most smaller companies like z-packs and ULA are good about returns, so you should be pretty safe doing so, but don't be surprised if your current pack handles better and leaves your back and legs happier than another pack that's a pound lighter. The opposite is certainly just as likely to be true.

chiefiepoo
08-28-2010, 19:00
Had a similar discussion at my outfitter shop. Staff there said weight savings often comes out of the frame/shoulder strap/belt array. Comfort is possibly compromised with the material that is cut out and weight distribution is different. I'm not familiar with the Go lite but the vapor is a sweet pack

skinewmexico
08-28-2010, 21:14
A 4-pound external frame backpack might leave you less tired after hauling 35 lbs all day than a 24 oz. internal frame with the same load.

If someone is still carrying 35 pounds, they probably don't need to be looking at UL packs. Maybe after they replace all their other gear.....

Tinker
08-28-2010, 21:27
I have a Golite Dawn, which has seen some 300+ miles of trail since I bought it and which weighs 14 oz. plus a 6 oz. closed cell foam pad I use as its "frame". I very much like this configuration as it allows you to use the supportive "frame" for other things (doormat and sit pad are favorites as I use a hammock, and I have used it on a rare occasion or two in shelters in which it was sufficient).
The pack is discontinued, I suppose, because most folks like zippered compartments and a top lid, both of which my pack lacks.
I used it for a long hike (8 days) of the "Hundred Mile Wilderness" where I had to carry all my food for that time period - total pack weight was around 35 lbs. It was a bit heavy the first three days, ok for the next two, and barely noticeable the last three as my food supply diminished).
I have a replacement pack in the Granite Gear Virga, which I will use as soon as the Golite ceases to function as reliably as it currently does.
I like the Golite better and will probably modify the GG pack significantly when the time comes to use it as my primary pack.
If you travel light enough you don't need frame stays, a ventilated back panel, or a lumbar pad. I retired my Gregory Mt. Shasta pack about 6 years ago and haven't missed it one bit (in 2008 I gave it to my son after the "Wilderness" hike).
Lighten up what goes [I]inside your pack first, then you won't need as much pack.
Happy Hiking! :)

Danielsen
08-29-2010, 10:52
If someone is still carrying 35 pounds, they probably don't need to be looking at UL packs. Maybe after they replace all their other gear.....

I agree, as that goes along with what I'm saying. But some do, nonetheless...

pistol p
08-30-2010, 19:47
The Golite packs are good quality, and the service isn't bad. I have had Golite, Ospreys, Lowe Alpine, and Granite Gears. I guess as far as the weight goes, I wouldn't worry about a few ounces. Well, unless you're planning on 25-30 mile days. I think that comfort and function is more important that weight, yet I would like them to be lightweight. After the first 2-3 weeks, that extra few ounces won't be of any concern.

I loved my GG Alpine Vapor (same as Vapor Trail, but heavier materials), but I had over heating issues with it. After a few other pack trials, I ended up with an Osprey Exos 58. The straps on it are a little thin, but I really like the frame and ventilated back.

Sooooo many packs, so little time and money to use them all.

Idaho_Nomad
09-01-2010, 13:42
I have the GoLite Jam and although only have about 50 miles under it I am very pleased with it. Like the previous posts ULA and Gossamer Gear are also worth checking out though.

4eyedbuzzard
09-01-2010, 13:59

Does that 25 lbs include food and water?

Megapixel
09-01-2010, 16:04
Does that 25 lbs include food and water?

yes

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characte

4eyedbuzzard
09-01-2010, 16:42
Wow. Kudo's to you. That's pretty minimalist given the additional cold weather gear / clothing and extra food / fuel needed at the beginning and end of a thru.