PDA

View Full Version : Removing the Long Trail forums

attroll
11-23-2004, 13:19
When I set up this Long Trail user group it was a experiment. I probably should not have done it. SGT Rock told me that he did not think it was a good idea and I should have listened. But I tried it. The Long Trail Forums are not taking off and the sites primary purpose is for the Appalachian Trail. So what I am saying her is that the Long Trail user group will be coming donw sometime in the future. Probably before Xmas or right after.

SavageLlama
03-04-2005, 22:52
AT Troll- it took me a while to find them. Maybe there's a way to promote them better? Just a thought.

steve hiker
03-05-2005, 00:04
Hey Troll -- Please leave the LT threads alone. I think you have to subscribe to them now, and they have very useful info. Also the LT is a natural extension or "blue blaze" of the AT, and fits very well in this forum. I didn't get to do the LT last fall, but if it had panned out, those threads would have been grate value.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix LT."

Rainman
03-30-2005, 17:49
One of the reasons I joined this form is because I am planning an "end-to-end" hike of The Long Trail for the summer of 2005. These forums could be a great resource.

Last October I attended my first ALDHA Gathering. At Warren Doyle's annual "dreamers" seminar he advised that the best introduction to the AT is and end-to-end hike on the LT. Maybe a good introduction to WhiteBlaze AT is the WhiteBlaze LT forums.

I decided to plan my section hike schedule by starting with the LT. I think this is a perfect introduction to the AT community. That's what I'm using it for.

Jack Tarlin's recent resupply article had some great info that helped me plan my resupply stops in the first 100 miles of the LT. Of course, that info was available because the trail coincides with the AT. It would be great to have that same level of information available for the rest of the LT. The GMC provides some useful information, but there's nothing like first hand info from someone who was there a few months ago.

I say keep the LT forums. What can it hurt? A few megs of storage.

attroll
03-31-2005, 00:52
FOr right now I see no reason to remove the Long Trail forums. They will stay up until furhter notice. I just did not think they were getting any use so I was going to remove them. But recently they started getting used. So we will keep them for now.

JoeHiker
03-31-2005, 12:28
One of the reasons I joined this form is because I am planning an "end-to-end" hike of The Long Trail for the summer of 2005. These forums could be a great resource.

I decided to plan my section hike schedule by starting with the LT. I think this is a perfect introduction to the AT community. That's what I'm using it for.

I say keep the LT forums. What can it hurt? A few megs of storage.
I agree completely. I'm hiking the LT end-to-end in late September/early October myself and am glad the forums are up there.

Hey Michael, I assume you are going South to North (I'm going North to South), how did you work out getting back from the Canadian border? I still need to figure that one out. My best guess is some sort of bus/taxi combo

Rainman
04-01-2005, 11:03
I agree completely. I'm hiking the LT end-to-end in late September/early October myself and am glad the forums are up there.

Hey Michael, I assume you are going South to North (I'm going North to South), how did you work out getting back from the Canadian border? I still need to figure that one out. My best guess is some sort of bus/taxi comboHey Joe, I am going South to North. I have not yet worked out the logistics of getting back from the border. I believe I saw something in another LT forum thread addressing that. There are apparently some locals who will pick a hiker up from the end of the trail. Presumably they would also drop off.

I did e-mail the GMC about some of my transportation questions. They said their "new" website will have a bulletin boad feature that members can use to communicate these kinds of questions. On my last visit to the site that feature was not up yet. Hopefully soon.

I was originally also going to do my hike during the end of September and beginning of October so I could go directly to the ALDHA Gathering in Hanover when I finish. Unfortunately, some personal life scheduling issues prevented that. Now I'm going in July. I'll have to make a separate trip to the Gathering. I'll give you the scoop on my hike so you'll have that info when you go in September.

Greenmountainguy
01-16-2017, 22:17
Well, I live .25 mile from the LT and frankly I do not like this. The LT is part of the AT.
Following this logic, how about removing other parts of the trail as well?
I believe there are sections of New Hampshire that are shared with other trails...New York? How about those areas of Maine that have day hikers? For that matter, the approach trails to Katadyn and Stoner?

Malto
01-16-2017, 22:29
Well, I live .25 mile from the LT and frankly I do not like this. The LT is part of the AT.
Following this logic, how about removing other parts of the trail as well?
I believe there are sections of New Hampshire that are shared with other trails...New York? How about those areas of Maine that have day hikers? For that matter, the approach trails to Katadyn and Stoner?

12 years later??????

Starchild
01-16-2017, 22:34
12 years later??????

For those who are willing to take 5-6 months to get from Georgia to Maine we ahve to know that they are in no rush.

Soggybottom
01-18-2017, 17:20
I love this forum. So glad it is here for us to use. I used this LT forum for my hike last year and helped a few hikers out again this year. I plan on finishing my end to end this August. Thanks for having this up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mags
01-18-2017, 18:02
Seeing as there are successful subforms for the Colorado Trail, BMT, XYZ, BINGO, ABC EASY AS 1-2-3, and other trails, I'm gonna say that this TWELVE-year-old discussion has been settled.