PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrated Peanut Butter? I saw this product....

nawlunz
08-28-2010, 18:06
and wondered if anyone else had ever considered this...if so, how's the taste? It takes about 20 minutes to reconstitute...for those of you who tried it, is it worth the hassle for the weight savings?

budforester
08-28-2010, 20:49
and wondered if anyone else had ever considered this...if so, how's the taste? It takes about 20 minutes to reconstitute...for those of you who tried it, is it worth the hassle for the weight savings?

As Appalachian Tater pointed out in a previous discussion thread, a jar of peanut butter has very little moisture left in it. FoodScienceSpeak would term it "low water activity". http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32688&highlight=dehydrated+peanut+butter

nawlunz
08-28-2010, 20:52
As Appalachian Tater pointed out in a previous discussion thread, a jar of peanut butter has very little moisture left in it. FoodScienceSpeak would term it "low water activity". http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32688&highlight=dehydrated+peanut+butter

Case closed..I stay with Jif!!

leaftye
08-28-2010, 21:24
If you haven't already, definitely try Nutella. I can't eat much peanut butter, but I could probably down a big tub of Nutella.

nawlunz
08-28-2010, 21:29
If you haven't already, definitely try Nutella. I can't eat much peanut butter, but I could probably down a big tub of Nutella.

Found out about that when traveling Europe!

Graywolf
08-28-2010, 22:11

I actually put the two together. taste like a peanut butter cup...EEEmmmmmmm.....

nawlunz
08-28-2010, 22:13
I actually put the two together. taste like a peanut butter cup...EEEmmmmmmm.....

a great idea!!!!!!

Julie T
09-19-2010, 23:42
I would just like to say that the last few posts of this thread made me go out and buy 2 jars of Nutella.. I'm now sitting with a spoon digging in like nobody's business. Nutella is definitely my weakness ...

TOW
09-20-2010, 09:48
Dehydrated PB is a whole lot better for you if you are watching your fat intake......

http://www.bellplantation.com/nutrition

HeartFire
09-20-2010, 10:24

Dehydrated or powdered PB has most of the fat removed - you can't dehydrate fats. Hence, this stuff is much lower in calories. but still, I have no idea what it tastes like.

joanwest
09-20-2010, 12:25
I really like powdered peanut butter and think it tastes fine.

For me, the biggest advantage of dehydrated peanut butter is for sauces and drinks- it mixes in easily and doesn't clump like regular peanut butter. I make spicy "thai" peanut sauce adding lime powder and crushed red pepper and mix with noodles- put it all in a freezer bag and just add hot water. I also like to add it to oatmeal along with dried bananas. Nice in hot cocoa as well.

I found it re-hydrated instantly-- I didn't wait 20 minutes when I used it as a spread, but maybe that's why it was a little runny.