PDA

View Full Version : Lightheart Gear Solo Question

Matty427
08-29-2010, 00:10
I received my solo this week and LOVE it! It is so light, huge on the inside, and of course ... the views are amazing!

I've only got one problem (if you can even call it that) that I was hoping to get some feedback on. That is packing up the tent. The thing is so damn slippery that I'm having a hard time getting it into the stuff sack without unraveling all over me. I end up getting frustrated and just shoving it in much like I would a sleeping bag (which I hate doing considering how much I love and want to preserve this tent) I'm considering just using a simple piece of twine to tie it off after rolling it up, but figured I'd ask here to see if anyone else had any other suggestions.

Tuckahoe
08-29-2010, 00:36
From my earliest days, I was always taught to neatly fold and roll a tent up; and that is exactly how I still do it. However, many folks are now suggesting simply stuffing the tent into its sack. The reason given is that folding can crease the waterproof coating and cause it to leak.

Try stuffing it rather than folding and rolling.

bulldog49
08-29-2010, 02:33
From my earliest days, I was always taught to neatly fold and roll a tent up; and that is exactly how I still do it. However, many folks are now suggesting simply stuffing the tent into its sack. The reason given is that folding can crease the waterproof coating and cause it to leak.

Try stuffing it rather than folding and rolling.

Folding is only for anal retentives.

Franco
08-29-2010, 05:26
Nope...
Folding and rolling always takes less space.
You fold the tent to the width of the stuff sack/poles, then you roll it up.
With most tents you would use the tent pole to do that.
(roll the fabric using the pole/s to keep it tight)
Try not to fold it exactly the same way all of the time.
For medium/long term storage , stuffing creates hundreds of creases rather than just a few...

Franco

JERMM
08-29-2010, 08:55
I received my solo this week and LOVE it! It is so light, huge on the inside, and of course ... the views are amazing!

I've only got one problem (if you can even call it that) that I was hoping to get some feedback on. That is packing up the tent. The thing is so damn slippery that I'm having a hard time getting it into the stuff sack without unraveling all over me. I end up getting frustrated and just shoving it in much like I would a sleeping bag (which I hate doing considering how much I love and want to preserve this tent) I'm considering just using a simple piece of twine to tie it off after rolling it up, but figured I'd ask here to see if anyone else had any other suggestions.

buy a larger stuff sack

Persistent
08-29-2010, 08:56
Matty,
This classic question as to whether folding/rolling or stuffing is better for the longevity of a sil-nylon tent is difficult and I have never seen any real data to back up either side - only anecdotal information and strong subjective beliefs. From my personal preference point of view, I basically agree with Franco. As you saw when you received the tent is was folded and rolled (for medium or long term storage so to speak). But if you are using the tent on a relatively repetitive continuous basis (say every day or every few days as on a hiking trip), I believe it does no permanent harm to stuff the tent randomly.
The slippery quality of sil-nylon is just something we all just have to deal with. I would recommend not using the twine that you spoke of because that could cause significant abrasion and truly degrade the fabric. My suggestion to make your life a little easier is just a little larger stuff sack. The larger stuff sack will make it easier to stuff the tent and gives the added benefit of allowing the tent to conform to the nooks and crannies in your pack. If you would like, I would be happy to ship you one for free. Judy is out hiking the JMT right now and I don't have the skills to sew one for you, but I have a an extra larger sack that is from a different batch of grey sil than the material your tent came from but it is close. If this is something you would want, just reply and I can ship it to you - I already have your address.
I'm glad you like the tent -
Marc Penansky
LightHeart Gear

brotheral
08-29-2010, 10:41
At the outfitters where I bought mt 1st backpacking tent (MTN Hardwear Skyview) they instructed me to stuff it in the sack. Repeatedly folding the tent weakens the fabric... I've been following their advice for the past 11 years. It works for me... I also store my tents out of the sacks at home...in loose fitting bags.

Matty427
08-29-2010, 11:03
Yeah it didn't dawn on me but I always rolled up my tents around the tent poles. Without the tent poles, I just have to relearn I guess. I too was always told to neatly and fold up and roll your tent and assumed just stuffing a tent was breaking a cardinal rule. But it sounds like stuffing is an acceptable alternative, so stuff I shall, while I keep practicing neatly folding/rolling.

Marc, thank you so much for the offer but I'm good with the stuff sack I have. The tent is amazing and am so happy with it. Be sure to tell Judy how much I love it!

Tinker
08-29-2010, 14:04
Ditto................:D:o

Franco
08-29-2010, 18:19
Here is an article that deals with the subject :
http://www.backpacker.com/roll_or_fold_tent/blogs/daily_dirt/1249 (http://www.backpacker.com/roll_or_fold_tent/blogs/daily_dirt/1249)
Note that most do "stuff" at the same time the manufacturers recommend otherwise particularly for long term storage.
Simply because most people do something, it does not mean that it is best..
The problem here is that as soon as someone mentions folding it is assumed that it will be done on the same lines every time. That is why I specified that it should not be done like that
Have a look at your bed sheet neatly folded. Now open it up and stuff it inside a bag. Can you get it as small as when folded ? Do you have more or less creases ?
BTW, I have tents in silnylon,Epic,Gore-Tex,polyester and ripstop nylon , none store better stuffed.
Franco

brotheral
08-29-2010, 18:51
Here is an article that deals with the subject :
http://www.backpacker.com/roll_or_fold_tent/blogs/daily_dirt/1249 (http://www.backpacker.com/roll_or_fold_tent/blogs/daily_dirt/1249)
Note that most do "stuff" at the same time the manufacturers recommend otherwise particularly for long term storage.
Simply because most people do something, it does not mean that it is best..
The problem here is that as soon as someone mentions folding it is assumed that it will be done on the same lines every time. That is why I specified that it should not be done like that
Have a look at your bed sheet neatly folded. Now open it up and stuff it inside a bag. Can you get it as small as when folded ? Do you have more or less creases ?
BTW, I have tents in silnylon,Epic,Gore-Tex,polyester and ripstop nylon , none store better stuffed.
Franco

Whatever works for you... As I said earlier I store my tents at home loosely in a large bag after they are completely DRY.

Luddite
08-29-2010, 19:03
Its kind of impossible to fold it the same way every time, isn't it? I think stuffing causes more wear and tear than folding. I stuff because I'm lazy.

Tuckahoe
08-29-2010, 19:23

Well damn I must be anal retentive.

Don H
08-29-2010, 22:17
Stuff it, it's faster and easier. Stuff it loosely in a laundry bag when storing it. Either way, just stuff it.