PDA

View Full Version : Tyvek ??

rockape
08-29-2010, 11:33
Made a new ground cover this weekend, will try out this coming weekend.
Did a search but couldn't find an answer. I'm guessing the side with dupont logo down?
Thanks

kayak karl
08-29-2010, 11:35
Made a new ground cover this weekend, will try out this coming weekend.
Did a search but couldn't find an answer. I'm guessing the side with dupont logo down?
Thanks
doesn't make a difference unless you are advertising for them.

Panzer1
08-29-2010, 11:40
yea, I always put the print side down. as KK said it doesn't really make a difference but by putting the same side against the ground all the time you end up with a dirty side and a clean side. I like to have the clean side against the floor of my tent. that's just me.

Panzer

Franco
08-29-2010, 18:45
There is a slight difference on the feel of the two faces, the one with the Tyvek logo feels more "waxed" and that is the one facing the outside on construction sites.
I take it that it also is the reason for DuPont to stamp that side...
For camping I doubt that there is a real difference but I do like the idea of using the same face to the ground all of the time.
Franco

Don H
08-29-2010, 22:27
Agree with Panzer, I always put the printed side down.
A lot of people will tell you a ground cloth is not necessary. I carry one to protect the bottom of my tent and to put down on the dirty shelter floor under my sleeping pad. I was thinking it was a good idea to have a ground cloth under my tent this weekend since we were camping in an area with lots of Holly trees. Those thorny leaves all over the ground are sharp!

SMSP
08-29-2010, 22:56
I got my hands on some fresh and clean Tyvek from a family member that had a left over roll. I cut off a couple of 10 foot sections to take home and make some footprints. Couple questions about Tyvek:

Tyvek is some noisey stuff. Does the noise lessen after it gets used from folding and packing over and over?

I made a foot print for my Kelty Teton 2 (even though I have the Kelty Footprint). The Kelty Footprint doesnt include the vestibule. So I made the Tyvek Footprint to cover the tent and vestibule. I laid the Tyvek out, set-up my Teton 2, outlined it with a sharpie, then cut. I then measured two inches from the line I traced. I was thinking to make hem around the edges to prevent fraying along the edges of the Tyvek.

Does the edge of the Tyvek fray over time?
Is it necessary to make a hem on the edges?

I also made some 20" x 20" peices out of the scraps maybe to use as a groundcloth to sit on when taking a break or around camp. Has anyone else done this?

SMSP

Erin
08-29-2010, 23:02
I am going to put a toe into stupidity, but I need to make a new foot print for my old tent for a hike in a couple of weeks. Where can I get a sheet of Tyvek to make a footprint?

kayak karl
08-29-2010, 23:27
I am going to put a toe into stupidity, but I need to make a new foot print for my old tent for a hike in a couple of weeks. Where can I get a sheet of Tyvek to make a footprint?
http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/998590

sbhikes
08-29-2010, 23:36
If you wash the tyvek in the washer with NO DETERGENT and no dryer it will soften and not be so noisy.

kayak karl
08-30-2010, 00:54
If you wash the tyvek in the washer with NO DETERGENT and no dryer it will soften and not be so noisy.
it also shrinks about 5-10 % so wash THEN cut to size

SoFlo
08-30-2010, 05:56
http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/998590

Just orderd mine today. Thanks for the tip! Great site for hard to find items. I have not been able to find any spare Tyvek where I live in this Econ.

10-K
08-30-2010, 06:38
Tyvek is put on houses print facing outward so I have always assumed that the printed side would be in contact with the ground.

I've heard that tyvek is manufactured to allow moisture to flow from the inside out but not in the other direction so it's probably more than just an advertising thing.

For camping I doubt it matters at all. Probably the biggest reason I put mine print side down is so I can see what's on it better.

sixhusbands
08-30-2010, 08:18
If you are looking for a very good ground cloth material, contact any billboard company. They are using a light weight 'ecoflex" vinyl for all of their billboards now instaed of the old paper. This vinyl is very strong, light weight and they will be happy to give them to you just for the asking. I deal with the local Lamar company , which have offices in every state , according to their website.

They come in a 10x22 size and are very easy to trim to fit any tent footprint.

ki0eh
08-30-2010, 09:52
If you are looking for a very good ground cloth material, contact any billboard company. They are using a light weight 'ecoflex" vinyl for all of their billboards now instaed of the old paper. This vinyl is very strong, light weight and they will be happy to give them to you just for the asking. I deal with the local Lamar company , which have offices in every state , according to their website.

They come in a 10x22 size and are very easy to trim to fit any tent footprint.

Do you pay for this, and/or is it as removed from service (i.e. with artwork, such as a picture of the Verizon Wireless dork, you can stick into the mud)?

SMSP
08-30-2010, 10:20
Isn't that billboard stuff really heavy duty, which would be heavy in weight?
It seems like it would be good for car camping ground cover.

SMSP
08-30-2010, 22:57
After doing some searching about Tyvek and what not, it seems the general consenus is to make a hem with Tyvek tape. Some caution sewing the house wrap version b/c it makes a perforation and could tear easily. If one does do any stitching, they suggest fewer stitches than normal.

SMSP

Franco
08-30-2010, 23:44
No stitching required. If you really want to do it...
use PVA glue (Elmer's glue)
put a very thin coating on the edge of the non printed side; let it dry for a few minutes, then fold and press .
It will take several hours to cure.
(faster in the heat)
Franco

Panzer1
08-30-2010, 23:57
my tyvek is so old that it is starting to feel like cloth.

Panzer