PDA

View Full Version : Just curious...how many JMT thru hikers..use

nawlunz
08-29-2010, 13:55
a sleeping pad on the hike. I am looking at every item in my pack to reduce weight, especially on the Southern portion where I will pack ten days of food.

For those of you who've done the trek, just curious as to whether this item was on the list as one not to take. I know, I know...personal choice!! I am aware of that...just interested in what others have thought or will think about this option on the trail.

Phreak
08-29-2010, 14:16
I use a sleeping pad on all my trips. I'd freeze my ass off without one. Just my $0.02 worth.

Miner
08-29-2010, 18:09
Actually, I don't think its a personal choice on this one. Rather its a choice that you'll likely regret if you make the wrong one.

1) The JMT can be very rocky in places. So much so that I have occasionally slept on a rock slab since it was smooth and flat rather then the ground full of rocks which always put pressure on the wrong place. I think you'd want some padding.

2) The nights can get very cold at altitude (I've seen snow in July in the Sierra Nevada) and having some insulation between you and the ground can make a big difference if you sleep warm or cold.

3) I use a Gossemer Gear Nightlite Torso Pad that weighs 3.5oz. I don't see why anyone would want to leave a sleeping pad at home to save weight. Just get a lighter one.

Dogwood
08-29-2010, 18:19
IMO, I agree with Miner's #3.

Reduce wt in other ways on the JMT like repackaging your food, going to the lightest wt highest quality sleeping bag you can afford, using an UL tarp(cuben, spinnaker, even silny), be willing to do shorter more resupplying by hiking out to resupply(besides all the hikes out to resupply may cost you some time on the JMT, like at least a day, but they are quite scenic).

nawlunz
08-29-2010, 20:38
IMO, I agree with Miner's #3.

Reduce wt in other ways on the JMT like repackaging your food, going to the lightest wt highest quality sleeping bag you can afford, using an UL tarp(cuben, spinnaker, even silny), be willing to do shorter more resupplying by hiking out to resupply(besides all the hikes out to resupply may cost you some time on the JMT, like at least a day, but they are quite scenic).

the Gossemer Gear Nightlite Torso Pad. On shorter packs, I had the NeoAir, which was very comfortable...But, for three weeks, I am not excited about hoping it doesn't spring a leak on all the use and rocks..I have my old blue pad, but not very comfortable...I'll look into the gossamer gear pad...THANKS

Tagless
08-29-2010, 21:17
...On shorter packs, I had the NeoAir, which was very comfortable...But, for three weeks, I am not excited about hoping it doesn't spring a leak on all the use and rocks..I have my old blue pad, but not very comfortable...I'll look into the gossamer gear pad...THANKS

For what it is worth, I slept like a baby on my NeoAir for over 1400 miles on the AT ('09 thru and '10 section) and recently 140 miles on the Long Trail - no leaks or problems whatsoever.

I do carry a NeoAir patch kit, which still remains unopened.

sbhikes
08-29-2010, 23:22
You need a pad. It's cold at night. The air has very little humidity so there is nothing to hold the warmth in when the sun goes down. I used a blue pad. Worked fine.

Trailweaver
08-30-2010, 03:13
I talked at length today with a relative who did the JMT in July. He had 2-3 nights when the temps were around freezing (because of the altitude), he saw snow almost every day, and yes, there is nothing but rocks: big slabs of rock and if not that, then lots of little gravel rocks. You're going to need a pad. He's hiked it twice - first time without a pad, and he said he was miserable.

leaftye
08-30-2010, 03:43
I want to see your gear & food list if you're at the stage where eliminating your sleeping pad is being considered.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
08-30-2010, 10:53
a sleeping pad on the hike. I am looking at every item in my pack to reduce weight

I have spent nights without sleeping bags (wet), but I would not spend a night up there without a pad. Essential item.

:-? Now, if you want the commando experience, just bring your Bear Grylls clothing line and go from there - it's all possible, but there's a certain element of "comfort" that has to be in it for me to make a 2-3 week mountain hike enjoyable. Sleeping on a few pieces of gear or having to rig up some sort of ground insulation by scavenging stuff in the woods (what do you do above tree line?) just doesn't sound like my kind of fun. Also is higher environmental impact if you need to build ground insulation/padding from material found in the woods.

Dogwood
08-30-2010, 16:22
Nawlunz, it sounded like from your original post, that your main goal was to reduce wt by possibly going without a sleeping pad. Others and myself have told you why would carry one and how you might reduce some pack wt, by going to a lighter wt pad or choosing to reduce wt in other areas. Some have told you why they find a sleeping pad an evil necessity. Now, it seems like you bring up the issue of durabilty of your NeoAir on the JMT. Hey, sometimes you give up some durability by going lighter wt. Sometimes, you have to strike a balance of priorities between durabilty and gear wt.

Dogwood
08-30-2010, 16:36
the Gossemer Gear Nightlite Torso Pad. On shorter packs, I had the NeoAir, which was very comfortable...But, for three weeks, I am not excited about hoping it doesn't spring a leak on all the use and rocks..I have my old blue pad, but not very comfortable...I'll look into the gossamer gear pad...THANKS

The GG Torso Light is one possible option that will reduce the wt of your sleeping pad and put your mind at ease as far as being less prone to failure in remote backcountry environs.

You don't say when you plan your JMT hike but the sleeping pad may not only provide something more comfortable, but also help insulate you more from the ground if your hike is during colder months so you can get a good night's sleep, which IMO is something I want on a hike.

As far as using the Neo Air and its reliability I used a NeoAir Shortie on the Sierra High Route. I often slept on bare smooth granite slabs with NO problems(no failures/leaking, etc). I rarely slept at established campsites on the SHR. I'm using the same NeoAir on the CDT now with a piece of Tyvek as a ground cloth. No problems. If you are concerned about punctures or leaks treat the Neo Air as the UL piece of gear that it is. Use a UL ground cloth. Don't carry it attached on the outside of your pack or, at the very least, put it in a protective stuff sack i9f you are goinfg to attache it outside your pack.. I use my Neo Air as a virtual framesheet inside my ULA Conduit. No problems.

nawlunz
08-30-2010, 16:50
suggestions. Yes, I am trying to go lighter, and my choice has been to use a pad. Was just curious as to what other 'hardcore' individuals do. It is not an item that I desired to do away with, but also trying very hard to lose some base weight.

I have the NeoAir and love it!! Yes, I protect it, but trying to also allay some anxiety about being out three weeks and having to take so much care with it.
Some have suggested the Ridgerest, but I don't gain anything in being lighter, as it is still 14oz....

I have done the High Sierra Trail and also sleep on granite and smooth rocks with the NeoAir..I can honestly say I've never had better nights sleep while packing...but, it's just that 'durability' thing with the inflatables that is in the back of my mind.

So, you've given me lotsl to think about, and the Ridgerest looks like a good compromise....

Dogwood
08-30-2010, 16:58
One more thing about repairing a puncture in a Thermarest inflatable pad or Neo Air. Although there are different types of inflatable sleeping pad repair kits on the market I find the simplest way to fix a small pin hole type leak is with a dab of McNetts Seam Grip and let set overnight. If you wish a faster dry time use Cotol 240 Accelerator with the Seam Grip. Both of these products would be available in Mammoth Lakes or Bishop at gear stores and possibly in Yosemite Valley at the gear store(near the grocery store and PO). It is also available in RidgeCrest at the outfitter although that would require a bus ride south.

Another recent product I've seen used to fix pin hole type leaks in inflatable sleeping pads with excellent results and SUPER FAST DRY TIMES(like minutes) is UV activated AquaSeal(make sure you get the UV activated type!) which is available at fly fishing shops and just beginning to hit outfitter shelves. Regular AquaSeal, which has been around for quite a while and has been used by fisherman to fix holes in things like waders now has the recently introduced UV Aqua Seal. Dap a little on a puncture, expose the inflatable pad to the sunlight, and it dries in a few minutes! A small(about 1 oz) tube is about $5-6.

nawlunz
08-30-2010, 17:03
One more thing about repairing a puncture in a Thermarest inflatable pad or Neo Air. Although there are different types of inflatable sleeping pad repair kits on the market I find the simplest way to fix a small pin hole type leak is with a dab of McNetts Seam Grip and let set overnight. If you wish a faster dry time use Cotol 240 Accelerator with the Seam Grip. Both of these products would be available in Mammoth Lakes or Bishop at gear stores and possibly in Yosemite Valley at the gear store(near the grocery store and PO). It is also available in RidgeCrest at the outfitter although that would require a bus ride south.

Another recent product I've seen used to fix pin hole type leaks in inflatable sleeping pads with excellent results and SUPER FAST DRY TIMES(like minutes) is UV activated AquaSeal(make sure you get the UV activated type!) which is available at fly fishing shops and just beginning to hit outfitter shelves. Regular AquaSeal, which has been around for quite a while and has been used by fisherman to fix holes in things like waders now has the recently introduced UV Aqua Seal. Dap a little on a puncture, expose the inflatable pad to the sunlight, and it dries in a few minutes! A small(about 1 oz) tube is about $5-6.

Thanks again, very valuable tips....this is serving to allay some anxiety about my inflatable

Dogwood
08-30-2010, 17:10
However, I do get where you are coming from Nawlunz. It's the wt of the trailfood on that 10 day food haul that concerns you. I know some choose to do that on the JMT, and part of that condition depends on how much time you have for your hike and how many MPD you hike. Personally, on the JMT I don't thru-hike as a speed freak as I want to hike slower to absorb the awesome scenery. I also have never had to haul that many days trailfood on the JMT. I would rather do an intermediate hike out by adding an additional resupply to make my longest haul between resupplying 6-7 days. IMO, all the hikes out, off the JMT, are also scenic and worth the extra time and miles in order to reduce the food wt. betwen resupplying.

nawlunz
08-30-2010, 17:16
However, I do get where you are coming from Nawlunz. It's the wt of the trailfood on that 10 day food haul that concerns you. I know some choose to do that on the JMT, and part of that condition depends on how much time you have for your hike and how many MPD you hike. Personally, on the JMT I don't thru-hike as a speed freak as I want to hike slower to absorb the awesome scenery. I also have never had to haul that many days trailfood on the JMT. I would rather do an intermediate hike out by adding an additional resupply to make my longest haul between resupplying 6-7 days. IMO, all the hikes out, off the JMT, are also scenic and worth the extra time and miles in order to reduce the food wt. betwen resupplying.

you are right on target!! Between Muir Ranch and Whitney, what venue's have you used for re-supply points?

Dogwood
08-30-2010, 18:12
I prefer to stop at VVR, resupplying there. I like taking a FREE "zero" (first day FREE for JMTers and PCTers, don't stay more than 1 day!) there in one of the cabin tents, mailing a box(cheaper to mail a box there than MTR), or buying trailfood there(possibly yogiing some food from the hiker boxes(55 gal drums), and consuming a huge freshly prepared well cooked dinner and/or b-fast. They also have laundry services and showers. Be mindful of what you are spending there and you should enjoy your time there as I always have. Although the boat ride across Edison Lake will also cost you about $10(RT) I think it adds another enjoyable dimension to your journey by ferrying across the lake. You could also possibly get a ride down the road from VVR to Mono Hot Springs for a soak(SWEET!). Mono Hot Springs also has a PO!

From there I enjoy the scenic hike out through Dusy Basin over Bishop Pass to the TH at South Lake where I either hitch from the TH into Bishop(all services) or mail a resupply box to Parchers's Resort just down the road from South Lake and stay there at the resort in the lower cost Bunkhouse and avoid the hitch into Bishop. The resort has some dining facilities. Good food! I have always found the hitch into/out of Bishop Pass TH to be easy. It's a busy TH and South Lake sees traffic from sightseers, boaters, and fisherman. The initial hike up to Dusy Basin is steep but with gradual switchbacks. The hike over Bishop Pass is scenic and realtively easy IMO. Coming back to the JMT down from Dusy Basin is quite breathtaking looking into LeConte Canyon.

Another possible option between VVR and Whitney Portal is Kearsarge Pass. More breathtaking scenery! Shorter distance out and back to the JMT. Coming back to the JMT is steeper than going out(with added wt.) and it's on shifting sandy/ sliding rocky trail. Getting a hitch from the KP TH is rather easy into Independence. Getting back to the KP TH is typically harder for me. Although I've always gooten a hitch back to the KP TH a Taxi costs about $10 from Indy to the KP TH. Not a whole lot in INDY though - hotels(I know if you are staying at some of the hotels they will hold a box for you), minimal resupply(two gas stations, one with better more modern resupply at the decent attached convenience store, if you are not all that picky certainly most are able to resupply from this convenience store/attached modern gas station), Subway Sandwich shop, one restaurant. Grocery store was closed last I heard. Mail a box to the PO. Another option is to have someone drop a resupply box at the KP TH in one of the Bear boxes located there.

Hike out!

Hiking out through Whitney Portal is incredibly scenic, but don't under estimate how long it usually takes even though it's all downhill.

If you rented/borrowed a bear canister at Yosemite Valley you can drop it off at the Whitney Portal TH at the smallish snack shop. They do have a limited menu but do make sandwiches and have fried foods and COLD BEER. Easy to get a ride out from here to public buses that run thriough Owens Valley.

nawlunz
08-30-2010, 18:28
I prefer to stop at VVR, resupplying there. I like taking a FREE "zero" (first day FREE for JMTers and PCTers, don't stay more than 1 day!) there in one of the cabin tents, mailing a box(cheaper to mail a box there than MTR), or buying trailfood there(possibly yogiing some food from the hiker boxes(55 gal drums), and consuming a huge freshly prepared well cooked dinner and/or b-fast. They also have laundry services and showers. Be mindful of what you are spending there and you should enjoy your time there as I always have. Although the boat ride across Edison Lake will also cost you about $10(RT) I think it adds another enjoyable dimension to your journey by ferrying across the lake. You could also possibly get a ride down the road from VVR to Mono Hot Springs for a soak(SWEET!). Mono Hot Springs also has a PO!

From there I enjoy the scenic hike out through Dusy Basin over Bishop Pass to the TH at South Lake where I either hitch from the TH into Bishop(all services) or mail a resupply box to Parchers's Resort just down the road from South Lake and stay there at the resort in the lower cost Bunkhouse and avoid the hitch into Bishop. The resort has some dining facilities. Good food! I have always found the hitch into/out of Bishop Pass TH to be easy. It's a busy TH and South Lake sees traffic from sightseers, boaters, and fisherman. The initial hike up to Dusy Basin is steep but with gradual switchbacks. The hike over Bishop Pass is scenic and realtively easy IMO. Coming back to the JMT down from Dusy Basin is quite breathtaking looking into LeConte Canyon.

Another possible option between VVR and Whitney Portal is Kearsarge Pass. More breathtaking scenery! Shorter distance out and back to the JMT. Coming back to the JMT is steeper than going out(with added wt.) and it's on shifting sandy/ sliding rocky trail. Getting a hitch from the KP TH is rather easy into Independence. Getting back to the KP TH is typically harder for me. Although I've always gooten a hitch back to the KP TH a Taxi costs about $10 from Indy to the KP TH. Not a whole lot in INDY though - hotels(I know if you are staying at some of the hotels they will hold a box for you), minimal resupply(two gas stations, one with better more modern resupply at the decent attached convenience store, if you are not all that picky certainly most are able to resupply from this convenience store/attached modern gas station), Subway Sandwich shop, one restaurant. Grocery store was closed last I heard. Mail a box to the PO. Another option is to have someone drop a resupply box at the KP TH in one of the Bear boxes located there.

Hike out!

Hiking out through Whitney Portal is incredibly scenic, but don't under estimate how long it usually takes even though it's all downhill.

If you rented/borrowed a bear canister at Yosemite Valley you can drop it off at the Whitney Portal TH at the smallish snack shop. They do have a limited menu but do make sandwiches and have fried foods and COLD BEER. Easy to get a ride out from here to public buses that run thriough Owens Valley.

Thanks.....I've already have done the Whitney-Portal leg, as recently I completed the High sierra route from Crescent Meadow...yes, realize the steep decline.

The resupply information from MTR was something I hadn't considered..
THANKS

grizzlyadam
08-30-2010, 21:10
I've hiked the JMT 1 1/2 times and didn't use a pad either time. Didn't freeze. Always found comfortable ground to sleep on. Slept like a baby.

I say, if you want to get rid of the pad, then do it!

Rambler
08-31-2010, 11:21
I used a Gossamer Gear 3/4 length Nightlght and the torso length. I was glad to have them both. Temps did dip below freezing a few nights in August.