PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Massachusets hike

gumball
08-29-2010, 16:56
My husband and I are headed to Mass for a hike in a few weeks. I will hike part of the way, but am also looking forward to rest time and may camp at whatever nearby campgrounds might be around the AT.

Are there any parks or local campgrounds anyone would recommend?

Also, what is the water situation like in Massachusets?

Thanks for any input.

Grampie
08-30-2010, 10:01
If you do hike the AT in Mass. and are near Rt. 20 don't miss a stop at Upper Goose Pond Cabin.:sun

Cosmo
08-30-2010, 13:18
I second Grampie about Upper Goose Pond. Be aware that although it is a cabin, it is fairly primitive. No electricity, no showers (really nice swimming in the pond, 'tho). Accommodations are in a bunk room or on a tent platform.

For a "regular" campground near the AT, look at Benedict Pond in Beartown State Forest, they have showers (but no RV hookups, I think). Check the Mass DCR website http://www.mass.gov/dcr/western.htm and look at the following State Parks (all traversed by the AT): East Mountain, Beartown, October Mountain. Not sure what they have for facilities. Mt Greylock does not have drive-in campgrounds, but Bascom Lodge on the summit is pretty nice ('tho a bit pricey).

Cosmo

gumball
08-30-2010, 17:57
Thanks folks--just looking for a place to throw a tent and sit by a fire for a change. A little tired and want to make this a hike/vacation since I only get so much time off in a year. Much appreciated.