PDA

View Full Version : Jerky

Mother Natures Son
08-29-2010, 19:01
I saw on a recent survival show that the experts were talking that if you had good jerky you could survive three days alone on that substance. Since we all know homemade jerky is probably the best for you and tasty to boot, does anyone have the best jerky recipe out there? :banana

Wise Old Owl
08-29-2010, 21:16
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61339

Since I have gone overboard with jerky stuff, there are many practical recipes that will allow you to make jerk from burger to steak. When you buy a machine follow the starter recipes that come with the machine. Nesco from Walmart comes with dry rubs included to get you started.

Feral Bill
08-29-2010, 22:15
I saw on a recent survival show that the experts were talking that if you had good jerky you could survive three days alone on that substance. :banana

You could survive for three days on nothing at all. Not even water except in hot weather. I have to wonder about those experts.

Of course, jerky is delicious concentrated food no matter what the occasion.

Walkintom
08-29-2010, 23:04
I've been using a very basic marinade for years because I find it both easy and tasty.

50/50 mix of worcestershire and soy as the base marinade. Add garlic, pepper, etc to your taste. The salt content of the marinade is high enough to preserve the meat pretty well when dried.

I usually marinate for only 4-6 hours as well despite all the recipes that suggest longer periods. I cut smaller pieces of meat so they have a larger surface ratio and it saves me chewing time as well as marinating and dehydrating time.

Marta
08-30-2010, 21:16
You could survive for three days on nothing at all. Not even water except in hot weather. I have to wonder about those experts.

Seriously. My extremely-thin son just went three days without eating a bite when he came down with mono and his throat was too sore to swallow food. He came through slightly thinner, but it was far from fatal.

I've been taking seitan strips (purchased, not made by me) along on trips as a nice change from jerky, and easier to chew.

werbitt
09-01-2010, 21:01
I'm gonna test that some day.

Danielsen
09-02-2010, 06:01
I'm gonna test that some day.

What, the you-can-survive-x-days-without-food thing? It's just an estimate, so there's not much there to test. Some might not even last that long, some might last quite a bit longer. :rolleyes:

sbhikes
09-02-2010, 09:38
I've got enough fat to go more than three days without jerky or anything else.