PDA

View Full Version : steripen against trickles...

Megapixel
08-29-2010, 19:25
What are my options to collect water from a very narrow, trickling source when all i'm used to using is a steripen and a naglene and a pot for collection?

ChinMusic
08-29-2010, 19:33
If the tickle is clear you shouldn't have an issue. If the trickle is turbid you will have to let it settle or treat with your chem backup.

I carry a 32-oz Gatorade bottle to treat my water and drink out of. If the water is a trickle, and dirty, I fill my 4L container as best possible. I prefer NOT to use my cooking pot but would in a pinch. Once the dirty water is in my 4L I can either let it settle and decant, or I can place my bandanna (Buff in my case) over the opening and pour into the Gatorade bottle. This filters out most of the junk. If the water is STILL more turbid than "weak lemonade" I will have to treat with chems as the Steripen is not 100% effective in water cloudier than "weak lemonade".

jlb2012
08-29-2010, 19:44
use a plastic bag to collect the water from a trickle and then pour into the bottle

Megapixel
08-29-2010, 19:53
use a plastic bag to collect the water from a trickle and then pour into the bottle

great idea! thanks!!!

thanks chin music as well. great points, well taken.

ChinMusic
08-29-2010, 20:41
The problem with the plastic bag is that it makes it harder to get a good seal with your bandanna (Buff) over the opening. You need a good amount of water over your opening to force the water though the bandanna so it can act as a filter. I find it SO much easier to place the bandanna (Buff) over the dirty water container than placing it over the container receiving the water.

I find the Steripen prefilter as near worthless in many cases, especially in cases like the trickle you speak of.

flemdawg1
08-30-2010, 09:22
I just use my cookpot.

ChinMusic
08-30-2010, 09:44
For conditions where I know ahead of time the water will be scarce/trickle/dig I will sometimes bring a scoop similar to the ones used for laundry detergent. Cheap and replaceable.

For conditions where I know ahead of time the water will be muddy/turbid I leave the Steripen at home and bring my filter.

jlb2012
08-30-2010, 11:32
for filtering out the floaties I use a cheap stretch nylon sock - stick the sock into the bottle pulling the neck of the sock down over the mouth of the bottle then pour the water in - the reason I like this approach over the bandana approach is that the increased area of the sock helps filter the water faster than the bandana

the socks I use are womens white socks typically found in drugstores in small plastic containers - typically 70 cents or so for a pair

JERMM
08-30-2010, 12:45
for filtering out the floaties I use a cheap stretch nylon sock - stick the sock into the bottle pulling the neck of the sock down over the mouth of the bottle then pour the water in - the reason I like this approach over the bandana approach is that the increased area of the sock helps filter the water faster than the bandana

the socks I use are womens white socks typically found in drugstores in small plastic containers - typically 70 cents or so for a pair

best idea i've heard in a long time, wonder where you got it...:D

couscous
08-30-2010, 12:53
Other options: I have an empty 20oz pop bottle with the bottom cut off to gather water from shallow sources - free - under 1oz. That would be my suggestion since it can be cut down to whatever size you want. ~ I also have a 12cc irrigation syringe - came in a first aid kit - .2 oz. The syringe would need to be filled/emptied about 170x for 2 liters - so I can't imagine using it to gather water unless the only source was a crack in the rocks.

jlb2012
08-30-2010, 13:05
best idea i've heard in a long time, wonder where you got it...:D

well JERMM I did _think_ about giving you credit for the idea and thanks for my first sock but then I didn't want to embarrass you

well anyways THANK YOU JERMM you're the bestest

JERMM
08-30-2010, 14:46
well JERMM I did _think_ about giving you credit for the idea and thanks for my first sock but then I didn't want to embarrass you

well anyways THANK YOU JERMM you're the bestest

anytime HOI, glad to help. several NOBO's i met this year thought it was a genius idea. one even offered to trade his filter to me for the sock. no thanks, i didn't want the weight. i'll bet he bought a sock in the next town and shipped that filter home.

Many Walks
08-30-2010, 15:32
I carry a Coghlan urethane coated nylon water bag. It has two handles, weighs 1.9 oz, holds 2.5 gal of water, dries fast and packs small. It's great to take water to camp and for the light trickles it's good to just prop it under the water source to catch it while I snack and rest. It also allows the floaties to settle then I can transfer to the Nalgene to Steripen. Works for us. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80728

Wags
08-31-2010, 00:49
i always keep 2 spare quart sized empty freezer bags in my pack. i could use that in an emergency. 99% of the time i just drink the floaties :D

Spokes
08-31-2010, 06:48
Your question is about "collecting" water right?

I carried a Guyot Designs Squishy Bowl just for these situations. It was really easy to squeeze and mold the bowl to fit into crevices where the water trickle was and also to form the bowl into a funnel to pour into your container.

Oh, they're super light weight and you usually get two different sizes in a set.

http://media.rei.com/media/d/1144049.jpg