PDA

View Full Version : camp shoes and their weight

Megapixel
08-30-2010, 10:00
I was wondering if folks might list the camp shoe they used on the AT or are planning on using, and the weight, as well as some details about them. Currently I am planning on using a pair of Kenkohs, 15oz., because of how amazing they make your feet feel - massaging nubs on the footbeds.

Hooch
08-30-2010, 10:03
I use the same shoes I wore when I hiked in, just loosen the laces when I get to camp for the night. To each their own, but I don't see the need to carry a pair of camp shoes that weigh nearly a pound. However, as always, HYOH.

SMSP
08-30-2010, 10:19
Are camp shoes used just inside the shelter or in and out, say going to the privy or to get your food bag, etc...?

My experience (very little) at Icewater shelter (GSM) in 10/2009, was that my crocs were no good outside the shelter itself b/c the ground around the shelter was slushy from the snow. Had I worn my crocs outside the shelter, I would have returned with wet, muddy feet. That's how deep the slush and water was. So I ended up losely lacing my boots on to go out of the shelter.

I guess it depends on the time and the weather as well. I am sure the area around Icewater is nice and dry at different times of the year and one get could get by with flip flops, crocs, etc...

SMSP

ChinMusic
08-30-2010, 10:48
I was wondering if folks might list the camp shoe they used on the AT or are planning on using, and the weight, as well as some details about them. Currently I am planning on using a pair of Kenkohs, 15oz., because of how amazing they make your feet feel - massaging nubs on the footbeds.

A pound is a lot for a shoe just to wear around camp when you can just loosen your laces on your hiking shoes for zero ounces.

But, your feet HAVE to be happy. If your feet aren't happy you won't be happy. So ya gotta do what they want.

Danielsen
08-30-2010, 11:04
Around camp, my feet are happiest barefoot. Then again, when I'm not working, cycling, or backpacking I'm always barefoot as well, so ymmv.

chiefiepoo
08-30-2010, 11:12
Been dragging a pair of Keen's around this summer. Over a pound of weight but they double as my "street" shoes when flying to a backpacking destination. But they are way too heavy. Going back to my 10 y/o K Mart surf mocs at about 8 oz and under $5.00. Camp shoes are a luxury I allow myself, but not essential gear.

Tipi Walter
08-30-2010, 11:20
I use the same shoes I wore when I hiked in, just loosen the laces when I get to camp for the night. To each their own, but I don't see the need to carry a pair of camp shoes that weigh nearly a pound. However, as always, HYOH.

It's great having a pair of crocs to slip into after a long day in the old sour boots. When I get to camp I put my boots in the tent vesituble and don't see them again until shove off the next morning. It's also important to have some kind of creek crossing shoe(like crocs), and this is important in the winter during ice cold creek crossings. Boots freeze up solid, a croc will not, so don't go and get your boots wet for no reason(crossings). Of course, t'aint' relevant mostly on the AT. Crocs in the snow? I just wear my old tired and wet Smartwool socks with the crocs and walk around camp in the snow.

Kerosene
08-30-2010, 11:31
I've struggled with camp shoe selection for years.

Crocs (size 10) weigh in at 11 ounces
Sun & Sand Slip-ons weigh only 7 ounces; add neoprene booties (2 oz) for warmth
Mesh Pool Slippers weigh only 2 ounces, but don't provide any rock/mud protection
Quarks with heel straps weigh in at 13 ounces

For shorter hikes (up to 5 days) I don't bother to bring camp shoes. For longer hikes I'll bring the slip-ons, with booties after Labor Day (they're sooo fashionable). I'll probably lug the Quarks when I hit the fords in mid-Maine in a few years.

Bags4266
08-30-2010, 11:41
One main reason (for me anyway) is if I stop to shower somewhere. I definitly don't want to walk into strange scummy shower stalls without shoes on my feet.

ChinMusic
08-30-2010, 12:18
One main reason (for me anyway) is if I stop to shower somewhere. I definitly don't want to walk into strange scummy shower stalls without shoes on my feet.
This is a good point for folks planning on stopping at hostels.

I don't recall reading much about folks attributing foot issues with communal showers but I can see how it might be a problem.

IronGutsTommy
08-30-2010, 14:04
yeah, just for shower protection alone crocs are worth their weight in gold. communal showers are notorious fungal breeding environments. As stated earlier in this post, they make great creek crossers, putting the strap behind ur feet keeps them from being swept away in a current. their weight is negligable to me but even according to those who weigh everything, their weight falls in the middle of the pack and they offer alot of comfort and protection for that. buy a knock off brand at walmart for 8 bucks.

Lyle
08-30-2010, 14:41
Currently I am planning on using a pair of Kenkohs, 15oz., because of how amazing they make your feet feel - massaging nubs on the footbeds.

I use Crocks knock-offs from Dollar General.

8oz per pair vs. 13oz per pair.

$6 vs. $29.

Plus the "massaging nubs" on the footbed of the Crocks felt like a hundred needle pokes after a 16 mile day across PA rocks. Had to wear socks with them in order to walk on them. The cheap knock-offs have much smaller nubs which are much more comfortable.

Been wearing the same pair everyday at home and on the trail for about 3 years with no appreciable wear.

BrianLe
08-30-2010, 16:17
I'm with Hooch, loosen the laces, tie a square knot with the ends of the laces so they don't flop around, and voila! My hiking shoes become camp shoes. Certainly not for everyone, likely less appealing for those suffering the trail in boots ... :-)

Creek crossings: the few wet crossings on the AT this year I mostly did barefoot, at least the times I was crossing there was nothing worth leaving shoes on. But my shoes are quick drying, for at least one crossing I just kept my shoes on and walked them dry.

Showers: For whatever reason I didn't pick up any fungi that I know of at any of the hostels, etc in thru-hiking this year, so I wouldn't worry too much about it, certainly not enough to accept the weight and bulk and general "one more thing to deal with" of carrying separate footwear.

Two caveats to the above, however. I did sometimes carry a second (different) set of shoe inserts, almost exclusively for use in town. When the shoes are wet and dirty, after I've showered and put on clean socks, it can be a little nicer to have dry and clean inserts, with the chance to wash and dry my normal inserts. Also, I think that some people can find that when first starting out, the first few hundred miles it might be nice to switch off which inserts are used to help with some aspects of foot fatigue.

Other caveat is that I started the trail this year in late February, and so I did bring "camp shoes" for the early bits in the form of Feathered Friends down booties (http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Bed.Acc/Down%20Booties.html). Very worth while having when there was a lot of snow out, in part to help augment the warmth of my 20F rated sleeping bag but also to walk around in as well.

ChinMusic
08-30-2010, 17:00
Brian - I gotta tell ya I look forward to your posts.....good stuff.

I like the idea of an extra set of inserts. I could just bring the inserts that come with the trail runners, as I use Superfeet. I also love down booties for early season. I have a smaller version from Nunatak.

Creek crossings: I just walk through em unless the rock-hop is risk free. Trail runners do dry quickly. I had a nasty fall in Alaska trying to rock-hop and it has changed my approach.

elray
08-30-2010, 19:30
I saw my first "crocs" on the Trail 10 years ago when folks were calling them "waldi's? They are still the lightest most substantial camp shoe around in my opinion. I leave those heavy Tevas' and Keens at home for the bicycle.

Luddite
08-30-2010, 19:52
I saw my first "crocs" on the Trail 10 years ago when folks were calling them "waldi's? They are still the lightest most substantial camp shoe around in my opinion. I leave those heavy Tevas' and Keens at home for the bicycle.

They weigh 13oz, don't they? Thats 3 ounces shy of a pound just for a luxury item. All camp shoes are superfluous in my opinion.

Bags4266
08-30-2010, 23:33
13oz true it is a luxury item. But then so is a sleeping pad are you willing to give that up? Not poking fun but some people make concessions on certain items. Where you cut oz's others don't.

Danielsen
08-31-2010, 06:37
A sleeping pad is vital insulation, just as important to keeping you warm (and therefore alive) as your sleeping bag. Unless your sleeping bag magically maintains loft underneath your sleeping body?

Not really the same category.

Bags4266
08-31-2010, 10:44
The sleeping pad was not made to be taken literally. You could replace the pad with other non-esscential items.

Danielsen
08-31-2010, 10:49
Gotcha. Like a good paperback, or something (though some might argue that as well! :p ).

sbhikes
08-31-2010, 19:29
I've tried all kinds of camp shoes:

- Extra insoles with homemade elastic flip-flop straps: Worked okay but you can't walk very far in them. Can be stored inside your shoes under the top set of insoles.
- The existing insoles tied on with extra shoelaces: Worked okay but they don't stay on very well and you can't walk very far. The extra shoelaces can come in handy for other things.
- Flip-flops: When dry I was able to walk 15 miles in them one day when I had bad blisters. When they get wet they are very slippery and difficult to walk in.
- Crocs and crocs knockoffs: Could potentially hike the whole trail in them. Can add superfeet or whatever for extra support/protection. Heavy and bulky.
- Loosening my hiking shoes: Probably the best of all solutions I found. Sucks when your shoes are wet or frozen, though.
- Leaving the hiking shoes at home and wearing the "camp shoes" (hiking in Chaco sandals): I like hiking in Chacos. I never stub my toes. They work great most of the time. They have limited grip on some surfaces resulting in several nasty falls, snow gets trapped under my toes, and after a very long hiking day the lack of cushioning can be painful.

I still haven't found the perfect solution.

Mountain Wildman
08-31-2010, 20:10
I had taken my camp shoes out of my Thru gear to save over 18 ounces but I just watched a video by Raul Perez and he mentioned the Five Fingers, I looked them up and my size 43m Five Fingers Moc weigh in at 5.2 ounces for the pair. I think camp/shower/stream crossing shoes will be back in the gear line up. Still knocking 13 ounces off my pack weight!! Thanks Raul.

Luddite
08-31-2010, 20:16
I had taken my camp shoes out of my Thru gear to save over 18 ounces but I just watched a video by Raul Perez and he mentioned the Five Fingers, I looked them up and my size 43m Five Fingers Moc weigh in at 5.2 ounces for the pair. I think camp/shower/stream crossing shoes will be back in the gear line up. Still knocking 13 ounces off my pack weight!! Thanks Raul.

Have you tried em on yet? They look rather uncomfortable and tight.

Mountain Wildman
08-31-2010, 20:23
Have you tried em on yet? They look rather uncomfortable and tight.

I have not, The Moc version is pretty well open though, It doesnt have the straps or much material on top, I really want to use a camp shoe
I just can't see carrying an extra 10 ounces or more and I don't like flip flops even if they only weigh a few ounces.

http://www.2youdropship.com/images/goods/20100607/7db09b4c306d7a97.jpg

Lyle
08-31-2010, 20:27
I have not, The Moc version is pretty well open though, It doesnt have the straps or much material on top, I really want to use a camp shoe
I just can't see carrying an extra 10 ounces or more and I don't like flip flops even if they only weigh a few ounces.

How prone to blisters are you. I could see a problem if you have toe blisters with moleskin or tape on them. These may not be too comfortable.

This is coming from someone who detests flip-flops because I can't stand anything between my toes.

Lone Wolf
08-31-2010, 20:28

no camp shoes needed. do what hooch says

Mountain Wildman
08-31-2010, 20:36
I haven't had any blisters on my feet despite walking several miles per day for 10 to 14 hours, But I wear comfortable footwear, When it comes to my feet I don't even look at price tags, I just buy it. I was planning on just loosening my laces to keep weight off my pack. I am at 31 lbs. now, but was over 45 before I started removing stuff off my list like camp shoes, heavy water filter etc...

Kerosene
09-01-2010, 08:07
As a camp shoe, I'll bet that the Five Fingers would feel just fine, even if you had a few minor blisters. However, I think you'll also find that they won't provide much cushion from the rocks and roots, although they might still be better than a pair of converted insoles. Please post a review after your next trip!

JAK
09-01-2010, 08:21
I've struggled with camp shoe selection for years.

Crocs (size 10) weigh in at 11 ounces
Sun & Sand Slip-ons weigh only 7 ounces; add neoprene booties (2 oz) for warmth
Mesh Pool Slippers weigh only 2 ounces, but don't provide any rock/mud protection
Quarks with heel straps weigh in at 13 ounces

For shorter hikes (up to 5 days) I don't bother to bring camp shoes. For longer hikes I'll bring the slip-ons, with booties after Labor Day (they're sooo fashionable). I'll probably lug the Quarks when I hit the fords in mid-Maine in a few years.Are neoprene booties really that light?

Kerosene
09-01-2010, 11:19
Mine are little stretchy things that basically have no anklet. I cannot recall how I acquired them.

I think you're probably referring to neoprene "socks" that can be used as a vapor barrier while walking. Those probably weigh a little more.

JAK
09-01-2010, 11:33
Cool. I can see how they might be handy.

sbhikes
09-01-2010, 11:57
You could try making sandals from blue foam pad. See this page (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=11897&disable_pagination=1)down toward the middle.

gearfreak
09-01-2010, 12:11
I thought my boots (Keen Targhee II) would suffice as my camp shoe until I hiked four straight days in the rain last September in GSMNP. I wished I had brought something to wear and get out of those boots asap at the end of the day. I leave on 9/30 to hike Davenport Gap to Erwin and I'll be carrying these Speedo Deck Sport Slides at 10oz. Not cheap, but comfy. I cannot and will not bring myself to wear Crocs.

Trailbender
09-01-2010, 14:57
I got a pair of Teva sandals in Delaware Water Gap, they are light and work great. They let my feet air out and dry in camp.

Big Dawg
09-01-2010, 18:09
silnylon seam-sealed socks, 2oz

Luddite
09-01-2010, 18:34
silnylon seam-sealed socks, 2oz

Hey thats a good idea. Easy to clean too,.

Raul Perez
09-01-2010, 19:04

Glad my vid gave you some ideas. They are not tight you just have to get the right fit. They just conform to your foot. I'd suggest getting a size larger than your measurement.

Not sure if the moc material is the best for stream crossings?

Raul

Mountain Wildman
09-01-2010, 19:21
Glad my vid gave you some ideas. They are not tight you just have to get the right fit. They just conform to your foot. I'd suggest getting a size larger than your measurement.

Not sure if the moc material is the best for stream crossings?

Raul

Thanks for the response,
I got a few ideas from your recent videos, I am not ready to go Ultralight yet, but I'm not adverse to cutting a few ounces here or there. I still like some of the creature comforts, But I am down from 45lbs. to 31lbs.
Makes a big difference!!

Raul Perez
09-01-2010, 19:39
I never thought I'd make it down to 9lbs base weight but it was just something that happened over 2 years and getting comfortable with less luxury items. Good luck in cutting weight but always maintain your comfort level that's the most important factor.

Staying on that topic I'm not comfortable using trail runners due to my propensity for athletes foot. I need water proof boots because once my shoes get waterlogged I'm in athletes hell. So carrying some lightweight camp shoes are my "luxury" item.

Your Mileage May vary and Hike Your Own Hike. If it makes you happy then do it.

Mountain Wildman
09-01-2010, 20:10
And all of God's children said,

AMEN!!!