PDA

View Full Version : Brother, can you spare a dime?

Slo-go'en
08-30-2010, 10:25
Meet a thru-hiker soliciting "donations" to finish his thru-hike. He was standing with a sign near the entrance to the Gorham, NH Wal-Mart. I gave him 5 bucks.

See, that is what happens when you don't budget enough money for a thru-hike. Hope his ticket home is pre-paid or he could be stuck in Maine for the winter!

Fiddleback
08-30-2010, 10:34
We have 'solicitors' outside our WalMart more often than not...varied signs, varied stories. But they haven't yet used an AT-thru on their story boards...perhaps because it's Missoula.:D If tapping the backpacking community becomes a new source maybe I'll see a CDT sign pop up but it's kinda late in the season.:rolleyes:

FB

Hooch
08-30-2010, 10:36
Meet a thru-hiker soliciting "donations" to finish his thru-hike. He was standing with a sign near the entrance to the Gorham, NH Wal-Mart. I gave him 5 bucks.

See, that is what happens when you don't budget enough money for a thru-hike. Hope his ticket home is pre-paid or he could be stuck in Maine for the winter!There's a great place to get funds to finish a thru-hike. It's called a job. :rolleyes:

Pedaling Fool
08-30-2010, 10:39
Some people just have no sense of self respect.

Pedaling Fool
08-30-2010, 10:41
I gave him 5 bucks.

Haven't you ever heard that you shouldn't feed the "wildlife":eek::D

Pony
08-30-2010, 10:42
There's a guy out here that's real proud of the fact that he left Springer with $200 and is now about to finish his thru hike by relying on the "generosity" of others.

Reid
08-30-2010, 10:44
I got hustled by a little kid one time in a walmart parking lot . I think his mom put him up to it. I pushed him down and kicked his stand over. There ain't no princess padgets in January. . . . . So at least this guys not out there roaming the earth for crack or anything aye?

Danielsen
08-30-2010, 11:07
There's a great place to get funds to finish a thru-hike. It's called a job. :rolleyes:

Standing in front of a business where it's not too hard to get a short term job with a sign about how you lack sufficient money does seem rather questionable, indeed.

Luddite
08-30-2010, 11:36

See, that is what happens when you don't budget enough money for a thru-hike. Hope his ticket home is pre-paid or he could be stuck in Maine for the winter!

I really hope that doesn't happen to me. :D I'll probably have enough money to make it but I might be homeless until I find a job after my thru-hike. I don't think I'd ever pan handle though...I think I'd rather go hungry.

Roughin' It
08-30-2010, 11:51

I bet him trailname was Stryder, a young kid with curly hair.

Gray Blazer
08-30-2010, 11:58
There's a great place to get funds to finish a thru-hike. It's called a job. :rolleyes:

That's pretty harsh. Here is this guy wanting hope AND change (especially change) and you want him to work? :-?

sbhikes
08-30-2010, 12:02
When I was doing my hike there was a guy who hiked with a ukulele. He was really good. He was just minding his business strumming out near the grocery store waiting for his friends to finish shopping and someone gave him $20. I suggest that busking may be a little more respectable than panhandling.

Hooch
08-30-2010, 12:03
Yep, and if he was any kind of man, he'd want to work, too. Of course, it's much easier to throw your dignity in the crapper and beg for handouts and depend on others for something instead of working hard for it.

Mountain Wildman
08-30-2010, 12:04

There was a guy in the same place a couple weeks ago with a sign (Anything Helps), He had worn and ripped clothes and no shoes, He did have a little duffle bag which probably had his 3 piece suit in it(just kidding), He said he needed money to get to The Rainbow Gathering at the New Hampshire/Vermont Line.

Lybarger
08-30-2010, 12:40
Some people just have no sense of self respect.

He will fit right in with todays society.

jesse
08-30-2010, 12:53
Slo go'en, he got $5 more from you than he would have gotten from me.

IronGutsTommy
08-30-2010, 14:44
that was prolly him posting.. still stuck in New Hampshire I see.

maybe he gots himself a jobby job at that there Wal Mart, I tell you what.

Slo-go'en
08-30-2010, 14:47
Slo go'en, he got $5 more from you than he would have gotten from me.

Ah well, sometimes I'm in a charitable mood.

max patch
08-30-2010, 14:54
You know he spent it on MD 20/20.

Luddite
08-30-2010, 15:30
You know he spent it on MD 20/20.

Or Wild Irish Rose.

Kelleelynn
08-30-2010, 15:39
There was a guy in the same place a couple weeks ago with a sign (Anything Helps), He had worn and ripped clothes and no shoes, He did have a little duffle bag which probably had his 3 piece suit in it(just kidding), He said he needed money to get to The Rainbow Gathering at the New Hampshire/Vermont Line.

I dont think that is true! The major Rainbow Gathering already occurred here in PA over the 4th of July week.... I dont know of any official gatherings near Vermont this year!

Luddite
08-30-2010, 15:56
And why would you need money for a Rainbow Gathering?

Mountain Wildman
08-30-2010, 16:39

I guess he wanted money for a bus ticket or something, I didn't have time to ask, the light turned green. I did google the Rainbow thing when I got home and there was some mention about a gathering this year at the NH line.

SMSP
08-30-2010, 17:20
Hey Brother, get a job!

SMSP

Different Socks
08-30-2010, 19:40
Here's a link to a guy that comes right out and says he has only $100, is planning to do the entire American Discovery Trail and he is asking for people to donate to his walk just so he can make it the whole way.

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=319833

Kind of beats the Walmart guy, hands down!

Panzer1
08-30-2010, 20:25
I think it's begging and it's not good. You should have to pay your own way on the trail with money you earned from working.

Panzer

Hooch
08-30-2010, 20:30
"Get a haircut and get a real job." - George Thorogood

Maddog
08-30-2010, 20:35
There's a guy out here that's real proud of the fact that he left Springer with $200 and is now about to finish his thru hike by relying on the "generosity" of others.

you must be talking about daytripper! i ditched him after the hiker bash in fraklin!

kayak karl
08-30-2010, 20:46
i resemble that remark.:mad:

DapperD
08-30-2010, 20:50
Ah well, sometimes I'm in a charitable mood.Yes you are:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62379 I think you need some assertiveness training Slo-go'en:D

Gray Blazer
08-30-2010, 22:02

The drugs are not free. :mad:

Danielsen
08-30-2010, 22:23
I really hope that doesn't happen to me. :D I'll probably have enough money to make it but I might be homeless until I find a job after my thru-hike. I don't think I'd ever pan handle though...I think I'd rather go hungry.

If you live in florida, no good reason why you should go hungry, money or not. You've got year-round growth of nutritious edible plants, many consider dumpster diving more dignified than panhandling (it's not like begging, you're preventing waste of perfectly good food), there are plenty of edible insects and small animals (legality may or may not matter to you) and a fishing license, if licenses concern you, probably doesn't cost too much. I spent a summer homeless here in upstate NY as a personal experiment and I was fine. I did have a reserve of available funds and places to stay if I ran into a situation where I might otherwise have to beg (or just be screwed) but it was truly eye-opening to realize how many of the things we "need" to be healthy and comfortable are completely unnecessary.

Those same realizations contribute to the situation where I can now put 80% of each paycheck (currently working 30 hours a week at min wage while taking classes, so it's not much) directly into savings, to save up for things like... hiking the AT. :D