PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Pads

Prettywoman0172
08-30-2010, 12:33
I am going to buy one, but I am unsure which one I want to buy. I am looking at the Thermarest Women's self inflating and a Thermarest that is not inflating (Ridge-rest?). There is obviously a huge price difference, but that is not what I care about. I am worried about the possibility of the self inflating pad getting punctured. How likely is this to happen? Is it easy to fix if it does? How quickly does it inflate, and how quickly can I deflate it and pack it up?

Recommendations?

Thanks.

Ann

Hikes in Rain
08-30-2010, 12:40
I've been using a Thermarest self inflating pad since the '70's, and I've never had a puncture (I probably just jinxed myself!). Perhaps one reason is that I always use a groundsheet, even in the shelters. Only takes a few moments to inflate once you crack the valve, and deflating is as simple as opening the valve and rolling it up. Again, only a few seconds.

Mountain Wildman
08-30-2010, 14:01
I haved used a self inflating pad since 1984, a cheapie, not even a Thermarest and it is still usable today. I have changed to a Thermarest NeoAir Large for my Thru-Hike next year since it is a little larger than a 1 Liter Nalgene when packed and weighs 19 oz., I did purchase the Fast and Light repair kit for it just in case. Any inflating pad or air mattress has the potential of puncture or air loss but with the self inflating you still have some pad under you, The self inflating or air mattress styles are usually more comfortable than a solid pad like a Z Rest or Ridge Rest.

Anumber1
08-30-2010, 14:15
In the industry of hiking gear, 9 out of 10 times when you see a product labeled as "womens" its just a smaller, pinker and usually inferior copy of the "mens" equipment.

Sleeping pads are the exception to this rule. Good sleeping pads anyway. Womens sleeping pads, and bags too, have more or less padding in different areas because womens bone structure is different from mens.

Try before you buy, but in my experience shows that you will most likely be more comfortable on a "womens" sleeping pad.

Tipi Walter
08-30-2010, 14:28
You could look at the Women's Prolite Plus(regular) at 1.8 lbs, 20x66 and 4.6 Rvalue. It's 8 oz heavier than the Women's Prolite with a much higher Rvalue(vs 2.8R).

At a cheaper but warmer level, there are the Women's Trail Pro and Trail Lite, 5.1R and 4.9R.

I've been using the Prolites for years, mostly the Prolite 4 large and now a Prolite Plus large at 3.8R and it's a good almost-four season pad. If I was you I'd get the Women's Prolite Plus.

The challenge for most backpackers is to keep their inflatables pinhole-free. As Hikes in rain said, always use a ground cloth under the pad, even when inside a tent. The most important thing, of course, is to NOT HANG IT ON THE OUTSIDE OF YOUR PACK EXPOSED. I see people doing this all the time and then they wonder why they wake up in the middle of the night with a slow leak.

skinewmexico
08-30-2010, 21:48
It takes me 9 big breaths to blow up my POE Ether Thermo. I'd much rather do that than carry the extra weight of a self-inflating.

se7enty
09-02-2010, 09:28
i just "traded in" my thermarest basecamp mat for the neoair. i sleep on my side and the neoair seems to be the only one comfortable enough for me to actually get some sleep. a groundcover is key. i never had any real problems w/ the basecamp (self inflating), no punctures, my husband loves his...i just couldn't get comfortable on my side.

garlic08
09-02-2010, 09:50
My choice of pad is dictated by the surfaces I'm likely to sleep on. On a three season hike in the Appalachian forest, there is so much grass, leaf litter and duff on much of the ground, a pad is just extra weight, so I carried six sections of Z-rest (6 oz) just in case I'm forced to choose a less-padded site somewhere. On the few occasions I slept on a plank floor in a shelter or hut, I was sorry and wished I had an inflatable. In winter conditions, I carry two foam pads, at least one at full length.

Some (usually young) folks can sleep on a bare concrete floor with no padding. Older folks usually can't. I met at least one AT thru hiker (young woman) who did not carry one at all.

Spogatz
09-02-2010, 10:06
Last week I bought the Big Agnes air core pad. 2.5 inches thick and weighs 24 oz. packs down to the size of a drink bottle. I went out last weekend and tried it out.

It was the best night sleep I ever got on the ground even though you have to blow it up.

http://www.rei.com/product/763953

4eyedbuzzard
09-02-2010, 10:42
The neoair and big agnes inflatables are surprisingly rugged. They do tend to lose a little inflation right after blowing them up (as you inflate them with warm air from your lungs which then cools and contracts a bit). They will also seem to deflate a bit on cool nights for the same reason as does any inflatable including traditional thermorests. A quick puff or two firms them up if they get too soft in the middle of the night. There are repair kits either supplied or sold by the manufacturers which weigh next to nothing (< 1oz). Big Agnes supplies one free I believe, but the neo air is $10 or so. I've been told duct tape works in a pinch on pretty much all of them - never needed to fix one myself in the field. Finding a small leak can be the biggest problem in the field - you often need to either immerse them in water and look for bubbles or use a soapy water solution like finding a tire leak (the way I fixed my thermorest after the cats got to it). I'd opt for the comfort of an inflatable and just be careful - but my old(er) bones don't rest well on just a 5/8" thick closed cell ridgerest anymore.

Jonnycat
09-02-2010, 11:18
It takes me 9 big breaths to blow up my POE Ether Thermo. I'd much rather do that than carry the extra weight of a self-inflating.

What he said. It's also more comfortable.

Deadeye
09-02-2010, 11:23
I use a combination of an inflatable pad (either a Thermarest self-inflator or my Big Agnes blow-up model) and a z-rest pad (6 sections, 6 ounces).

By adding the z-rest, I have a sit pad or nap pad that can go on any surface, anytime, and I have an underpad that protects my inflatable. In the event my inflatable does give out (not yet, but like someone else said, I probably just jinxed myself), I have something to finish out the night with, so I can repair the pad the next day instead of in the middle of the night. You do realize that nothing ever goes wrong with your sleep system while the sun is up!

gumball
09-02-2010, 17:35
I just use a ridgerest and then I don't ever have to think about it deflating. I'm pretty comfortable.

Doc Mike
09-02-2010, 17:56
Could skip the pad and sleep better in a hammock. Just a thought. Ok ground sleepers let me have it.....

Doc Mike

highfisher
09-02-2010, 18:15
Could skip the pad and sleep better in a hammock. Just a thought. Ok ground sleepers let me have it.....

Doc Mike

I was just fixing to suggest that to... Glad you said it first Doc:D

skinewmexico
09-02-2010, 18:18

Doc Mike

At least it's on topic. About half the time on WB, the answer to a "which stove" question (or anything else) is get a hammock.

kayak karl
09-02-2010, 18:53
i don't know about pads never had one, but doesn't the temperature come into play when selecting one??

gopher
09-03-2010, 07:31
Field repair is simple find the leak put a drop of super glue on it and done. Tape works but will leave a residue that will interfere with a permanent repair. Some of my thermarests are 15 years old still working. I have always used it on some kind of ground barrier, tent floor, poncho etc. There are even valve repair kits available.

gearfreak
09-03-2010, 08:30
Last week I bought the Big Agnes air core pad. 2.5 inches thick and weighs 24 oz. packs down to the size of a drink bottle. I went out last weekend and tried it out.

It was the best night sleep I ever got on the ground even though you have to blow it up.

http://www.rei.com/product/763953

Switched this year from the ThermaRest ProLite 3 to the BA Insulated Air Core Mummy with no regrets. Treat your gear with the care the price says it deserves and it will last a good, long time.

Deadeye
09-03-2010, 08:47

Doc Mike

My 2-pad system still works, since I use my inflatable in my hammock. I know, I know, an underquilt would be comfy, but sometimes I like to sleep on the ground, and an UQ doesn't cut it.

highfisher
09-03-2010, 10:11
I haved used a self inflating pad since 1984, a cheapie, not even a Thermarest and it is still usable today. Any inflating pad or air mattress has the potential of puncture or air loss but with the self inflating you still have some pad under you, The self inflating or air mattress styles are usually more comfortable than a solid pad like a Z Rest or Ridge Rest.

+1 Mountain Wildman, I've used the Magellan brand Thermarest for awhile now 20x48x1.5 @14oz $26.00 @Academy Sports, no problems and I'm in Texas, tumbleweeds, brairs, and cactus:eek:

Sassafras Lass
09-07-2010, 11:29
It really depends upon your sleeping style and what you require to be comfortable for a good night's sleep.

I have joint pain and sleep on my side - it's next to impossible for me to fall asleep on my back and stomach.

Therefore, I bought the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core (small, to save a few ounces) and I've been using it since March, and it's been great. Very comfortable, doesn't take long to blow up, and I don't feel the ground at all. To keep my pad pristine, in addition to additional heat retention and to have a seat for breaks and lounging around before bed, I've just bought the Thermarest Z-lite, and it's been awesome too. A lot more comfortable than their Z-rest pad, and the accordian style folds up perfectly for my backpack straps.

My sleep system (add in Go-Lite Venture 20 sl bag) is now up to 4 lbs, 1 oz., but I'm going to get a great night's sleep. There are other avenues to consolidate and cut ounces, but a great bed is definitely worth its weight.

Doc Mike
09-07-2010, 12:55
My sleep system (add in Go-Lite Venture 20 sl bag) is now up to 4 lbs, 1 oz., but I'm going to get a great night's sleep. There are other avenues to consolidate and cut ounces, but a great bed is definitely worth its weight.
[/QUOTE]

Hammock, underquilt and sleeping bag all weigh about this and You don't need to find a shelter to sleep in. Just a thought, same weight and added versatility.

Doc Mike

Sassafras Lass
09-08-2010, 11:06
"Hammock, underquilt and sleeping bag all weigh about this and You don't need to find a shelter to sleep in. Just a thought, same weight and added versatility."

I would love to sleep in a hammock - but I don't think my husband would fit! :) We're getting the TarptTent Double Rainbow; I cannot fall asleep unless he's right beside me, so unless we discover a durable 2-person hammock, it's a TarpTent for us. Not to mention if I were to camp somewhere with scant trees, a tent would be more practical than a hammock.