PDA

View Full Version : Birch Spring Gap Shelter

hikingpm
11-23-2004, 18:46
There is no longer a shelter at Birch Spring Gap. The sight has been converted to a backcountry campsite.

The Solemates
11-23-2004, 18:56
They were torn down several years ago. We hiked up outta Fontana on a absolutely nasty day, pouring down rain, about 40 degrees. the whole time we were just looking forward to getting under the shelter roof. instead, we found the muddiest campsites known to man. after 15 minutes inside the tent, we were sitting in a pool. no matter how waterproof your tent is, if you are laying in a river, its gonna get wet inside. they must have just cleared the ground for the tent sites that month. we packed up and headed back out in the dark. and this was one of the few times I actually called to make backcountry reservations for the shelter in the Smokies. The lady said, "Yea, got ya down, Birch Springs, right." Didnt say a word about the shelter not even existing anymore. It really pissed us off. oh well....

Lone Wolf
11-23-2004, 19:25
That had to be THE dingiest, dirtiest, dumpiest shelter on the AT.

smokymtnsteve
11-23-2004, 19:51

and it sure was a welcome sight back in oct 99 when I came of the top of ole smoky in the snow ;)

A-Train
11-23-2004, 21:16

Worse than Governor Clement??!

weary
11-23-2004, 21:44
Yeah. But it was a wonderful place in a storm.

Weary

Lone Wolf
11-23-2004, 21:48
I arrived there once in the rain but still tented on the ridge by the shelter sign.

swamp dawg
11-23-2004, 22:59
I agree this shelter was a dump but as been stated it was sure nice on a really bad day. Is there a master plan to improve this site ?

bjbrodrick
01-27-2005, 12:58
What kind of shape is the campsite in now? Am planning to overnight there on a spring hike of 50+ miles.

BB

bulldog49
01-27-2005, 15:02
I stayed once at Birch Spring, not the best but not the worst either. That would be Tri-Corner. Now that is a dump, and always wet.

leeki pole
02-04-2005, 16:00
I may be planning on tenting there also on a short loop hike in March. Are the other backcountry campsites close by better or worse?

bulldog49
02-04-2005, 16:35
Depending on which way you're travelling, Upper Flats to the west of Birch Springs is a very nice campsite. Going east down the Lost Cove Trail is another nice campsite. Both have fast flowing streams and level campsites. I would say both are better than Birch Springs.

leeki pole
02-04-2005, 17:29
Thanks, Bulldog. I'm headed up to Shuckstack from Fontana Dam so Lost Cove eastbound sounds just perfect. Appreciate the info very much! :)

Jack Tarlin
02-04-2005, 17:51
Actually, I've always thought the dingiest, dirtiest, nastiest shelter on the Trail was Brien shelter in Harriman Park. It's trashed by day hikers, irregularly cleaned or maintained, and there's no water. Otherwise, it's a great place to overnight!

In re. to the Smokies, thru-hikers are well-advised to get an EARLY start out of Fontana and try to get to Mollies Ridge or Russell Field, which are both very nice places to spend your first night in the Park.

Youngblood
02-04-2005, 22:07
I was through there this summer. Birch Spring is now a tentsite and it had a hitching post with a designated bucket for watering horses. It looked like it would still be pretty muddy in a good rain.

BTW, Tri Corner Knob has been remodeled/rebuilt and is nice, real nice.

Youngblood

Skyline
02-05-2005, 01:24
I thought the "old" Sassafras Gap Shelter north of NOC would have been in the running for the dumpiest (is that a word?).

bulldog49
02-05-2005, 18:19
Jack, one thing that turns me off the Russell Field shelter is the water source. It is a stream that runs right across a heavily used horse trail that is often filled with, well you can guess. Just make sure you have a very good filter or boil water if you stay there. I always go a couple extra miles and stay at Spence Field.

The Tri-Corner is rebulit but is still down in a wet hole.

Mike
02-05-2005, 23:09
I was under the impression that the shelter was replaced with tent platforms... I guess my impression was wrong?!?! Havent been through there since march 1998. At the time it seemed like the water source provided a nice mudpit around the fire ring... real niiiice.

The Solemates
02-07-2005, 10:08
Actually, I've always thought the dingiest, dirtiest, nastiest shelter on the Trail was Brien shelter in Harriman Park. It's trashed by day hikers, irregularly cleaned or maintained, and there's no water. Otherwise, it's a great place to overnight!

In re. to the Smokies, thru-hikers are well-advised to get an EARLY start out of Fontana and try to get to Mollies Ridge or Russell Field, which are both very nice places to spend your first night in the Park.

Gov Clement is worse than the Brien shelter methinks...

sliderule
09-26-2005, 16:37
I was under the impression that the shelter was replaced with tent platforms... I guess my impression was wrong?!?! Havent been through there since march 1998. At the time it seemed like the water source provided a nice mudpit around the fire ring... real niiiice.You are correct. The Birch Spring Shelter has been demolished. It is now Campsite #113. Reservations required except for thru hikers.

rwiethorn
04-20-2006, 12:37
I will be spending a night there in the last week of May with a group of guys.

Can anyone provide an update on the site? ie: a source of water, how level, and how much space?

I'll be coming from BC91 on the Lost Cove Trail.

Shall I refill on water before I hit the crest?

Thanks,
rwiethorn

Philip Jones
04-20-2006, 20:35
There are 6-8 leveled-off tent pads, with a short trail leading to each. It would be a tight fit to put two tents on one pad. They were in good shape when I was there last June. The spring runs through the middle of the site. It was a little buggy but otherwise a good place to stay.

rwiethorn
04-22-2006, 12:39
There are 6-8 leveled-off tent pads, with a short trail leading to each. It would be a tight fit to put two tents on one pad. They were in good shape when I was there last June. The spring runs through the middle of the site. It was a little buggy but otherwise a good place to stay.

Philip,
Thanks for the update, I appreciate it.
I'll try to remember to take pictures and give you all an update when I'm back.

-rwiethorn

chugger
06-01-2006, 01:10
Birch Spring was a dark dank mice infested shelter, but a shelter it was.

Actually, I have good memories of Tri-Corner.

waasj
05-22-2011, 11:46
Site had no shelter but several platforms in June of 2009. Lots of biting flies due to horse access(?). Bear cables in good shape.