PDA

View Full Version : Water Filter

Prettywoman0172
08-30-2010, 12:36
I apologize if this is not the right place to be asking about gear. I have searched around here and cant find the answers that I am looking for. Maybe I didnt look hard enough, and if I havent, please feel free to re-direct me.

I need a water filter, but I am at a loss as to which one or what type to purchase. Help?

Ann

BobTheBuilder
08-30-2010, 12:49
You probably couldn't find the topic because each of the hundred-or-so threads was hijacked by the iodine-chlorine-UV pen-bandana filter hordes.

I like and use a Katadyn Hiker filter for my section hikes. I like my water to be free of floaties and most bugs, so it works for me. I also like not waiting for chemicals to work, and I like not ingesting the chemicals. In spite of what you see in the forums, a lot of people, at least those not thru hiking, filter water. The whole thing weighs a little less than a pound, and you can find them in sporting goods stores as well as online.

thelowend
08-30-2010, 12:52
Are you planning a thru hike or just weekend trips? It kind of depends how tolerant you are of 'floaties' and what you will be doing. I own a Katadyn hiker pro and it is amazing although a little heavy so I just bought a steripen. No experience with the steripen yet though. The hiker pro is small enough for backpacking yet is really durable and has really high volume output compared to a few other filters I have had limited experience with.

For future reference, look at the grey toolbar at the top of the page.. there is a search option to search everything ever posted on whiteblaze.. most everything gets discussed over and over again on different threads so usually the search is all you need.

Bags4266
08-30-2010, 12:55
I just order this one. Although I use Aqua Mira drops I wanted a fiter due to the low levels of water at this time. It only weighs 3 oz and is ceramic and servicable in the field. I'll see how it works, only $25 dollars.

Bags4266
08-30-2010, 12:55
Duh, forgot the link! http://www.campsaver.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=mbw

couscous
08-30-2010, 13:16
Ann - Search for Katadyn or purifier and you will get lots of threads that include posts about filters from Katadyn, MSR, First Need, Aquamira and others.

Bags4266 - [/URL]Will be interested to hear how you like it. I see the "regular" price is $109.95 and it's available for "only" $74.95 at [URL="http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/530gacamicew.html"]Sports Imports Ltd (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=24259) so you found the right place to purchase one.

Prettywoman0172
08-30-2010, 13:22
Right now I have thru-hike in my head. Although I dont know if I will have enough time or even have whqt it takes to do it. I am not an experienced backpacker. But its in my head and I cant shake it. I am planning at least 3 months, summer of 2011. Thank you for the suggestions, i will do a search.

flemdawg1
08-30-2010, 13:43
I need a water filter, but I am at a loss as to which one or what type to purchase. Help?

Ann

You probably couldn't find the topic because each of the hundred-or-so threads was hijacked by the iodine-chlorine-UV pen-bandana filter hordes.

Its not that everyone hijacks the threads. Its that the question is the wrong one. Instead of "I need a filter", the correct question is "what should I use to make water safe to drink?". To which there are several methods, each w/ their own pros and cons that each hiker must weigh for themselves. There is no "this method is best, 100% of the time" solution.

Mountain Wildman
08-30-2010, 13:51
I use the First Need and it filters and removes everything including Viruses, It is the only backpacking filter that can be called a purifier. I have also been considering a much lighter option which incorporates a 2 oz. filter and Aquamira, Here is the link to a video I watched by a guy named Jason Klass, I have already ordered everything I need for his method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSYWoplv_Uo&feature=related

Bags4266
08-30-2010, 13:59
I looked at the Frontier model for a gravity filter only problem its only good to 50 gallons. A better choice for a gravity filter setup would be the Sawyer model. Little more money but you get a million gallons thru it. It also comes with the quick release attachments. 2 cents

Mountain Wildman
08-30-2010, 14:07
I looked at the Frontier model for a gravity filter only problem its only good to 50 gallons. A better choice for a gravity filter setup would be the Sawyer model. Little more money but you get a million gallons thru it. It also comes with the quick release attachments. 2 cents

Interesting, Never saw that unit, But it weighs 11 oz. and after I add a bottle and Aquamira to make my water completely safe I will be somewhere around 15 or 16 ounces in which case I could just carry my First Need, But a million gallons is pretty awesome. I will have to consider this.

Bags4266
08-30-2010, 14:14
Just buy the filter alone. You already have and bring the water bladders so that weight doesn't count. The filter alone is 3 oz. (dry)