PDA

View Full Version : SOBO in June

Prettywoman0172
08-30-2010, 13:58
I am contemplating a possible thru-hike beginning in Mid may or ealry June of 2011. I have chosen that time because of school schedules (for me), and have chosen to start in Maine (I think) because I live in MA and should i decide to or need to leave the trail the expense would be less to get back home. I also thought going south would make more sense given when I am starting. I was originally thinking that I would simply hike 3 mos and see how far I get. But what if I love it. What if I dont want to stop? If I leave from Maine then I could take the extra 2 months to finish it if I really want to (would require skipping/deferring a semester of school). I am older and this is degree #2.... still trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up :) and this is just the best time I can think of to complete a thru.

Is SOBO harder? Does what I am considering make sesnse? Any special considerations? It seems overwhelming to plan!

Suggestions? Input?

Thank you.

Ann

Mountain Wildman
08-30-2010, 14:11
I originally planned on going SOBO since I live about 6 hours from Baxter but I realized my physical condition might not be up to doing the Whites with only a month on the trail. If you are in good athletic condition then it would not be a problem, But going SOBO also means less people on the same hike as you, If you want the social aspect of a Thru-Hike then NOBO is the way to go and then you finish near home.

Slo-go'en
08-30-2010, 15:04
Depending on the kind of spring we have next year, Mid May to early June puts you right in the middle of Black fly season, spring monsons and high water crossings - which sometimes can be 3-4 feet deep, quickly moving - and ice cold!

The other problem is Maine is pretty rugged and there will be few if anyone else out there for company or moral support.

I belive a better plan is to start about 1/2 way up the trail, say Harpers Ferry. The trail is much easier there to start out and there will likely be other hikers around, even that early in the season.

Prettywoman0172
08-30-2010, 16:03
Problem is, though, if I dont start then, and start in Maine, there is no way I will be able to complete a thru-hike if I want to. If I settle on just going for the three months and completing a section, then I guess it doesnt matter.

Mountain Wildman
08-30-2010, 16:34
I have not Thru-Hiked yet but from what I've read, Most Thru-Hikers complete their hikes in 6 months, If you hike 3 months regardless of where you start, you would most likely be the same distance from home.

Mountain Wildman
08-30-2010, 16:36
Though around June is when most SOBO's start from Maine and starting from Springer in June you would most likely be all alone. Which is not always a bad thing.:)

Just Jack
08-30-2010, 18:21
Make an effort to come to ALDHA this year. It will be held in WVa this
year the middle of Oct. Google ALDHA. Good group of people that can answer all your questions about whatever. Have a good hike.

DapperD
08-30-2010, 21:12
Though around June is when most SOBO's start from Maine and starting from Springer in June you would most likely be all alone. Which is not always a bad thing.:)I always hear most people saying they want to start anywhere from around mid-May to the beginning of July to begin a Southbound Thru-Hike. From what I have learned it has usually been recommended to wait till the beginning of July-I guess the blackfly season is ending for the most part and the trails have become dryer.

4eyedbuzzard
08-31-2010, 05:17
I am contemplating a possible thru-hike beginning in Mid may or ealry June of 2011. I have chosen that time because of school schedules (for me), and have chosen to start in Maine (I think) because I live in MA and should i decide to or need to leave the trail the expense would be less to get back home. I also thought going south would make more sense given when I am starting. I was originally thinking that I would simply hike 3 mos and see how far I get. But what if I love it. What if I dont want to stop? If I leave from Maine then I could take the extra 2 months to finish it if I really want to (would require skipping/deferring a semester of school). I am older and this is degree #2.... still trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up :) and this is just the best time I can think of to complete a thru.

Is SOBO harder? Does what I am considering make sesnse? Any special considerations? It seems overwhelming to plan!

Suggestions? Input?

Thank you.

Ann
I think Weary posted some pics a few years back of the trail and some shelters in Maine in mid-May. The snow was still 3-4 ft deep in places. Not every winter is the same, and that one was a bad one, but mid-May in Maine will likely be a mix of melting snow (potentially still deep on some northern slopes), mud, lots of melting water, raging streams and brooks to cross, black flies, etc. Generally it is somewhat better by early June (except the flies), but it's much better by mid-June / July. Add that in May the trail maintainers probably have not yet cleaned up blowdowns and such from the trail. And you may not be allowed to climb Katahdin without winter climbing gear (depends upon snow/ice/weather conditions). I'd say anything north of Glencliff, NH could pose some very difficult conditions until early June.

Marta
08-31-2010, 06:49
Mid-May/early June is a rough time to start in Maine. Given your time constraints, I'd do what a previous poster suggested and start in Harpers Ferry, hike north, and then flip around to the south, if you've still got time.

IMO, SOBO is harder. The terrain is hard right off the bat, and you don't have the morale support of the herd to keep your spirits up. (Also true of a very early NOBO start.) An early SOBO start is harder still.

Marta
08-31-2010, 06:51
If you're trying to work around a school schedule, there's a lot to be said for two three-month hikes in consecutive years. If you can manage the time off and money, it would be the best of both worlds.

Blissful
08-31-2010, 09:13
Mid-May/early June is a rough time to start in Maine. Given your time constraints, I'd do what a previous poster suggested and start in Harpers Ferry, hike north, and then flip around to the south, if you've still got time.

IMO, SOBO is harder. The terrain is hard right off the bat, and you don't have the morale support of the herd to keep your spirits up. (Also true of a very early NOBO start.) An early SOBO start is harder still.

Agree, agree. :)
I started my SOBO July 1 and missed blackfly - but still contended with interesting water crossings and mud.

think0075
08-31-2010, 10:36
I'd say go for it but be prepared its going to be rough. I started May 31st in 2008 and had a little bit of snow on my way up the hunt trail but that was it. The bugs are unbelievable, trust me you've never seen anything that bad, my buddy after the 100 mile wilderness had over 100 bites on each hand. Get to love wearing 100% deet, good ol' ben's. head net and even a bug net for the shelter would be nice. Also the water crossings can get crazy. we ended up getting somewhere like 3 weeks of straight rain they even closed down the kennebec ferry and we were stuck in caratunk for 2-3 days. once you get through southern maine the whites will be like a vacation. good luck