PDA

View Full Version : Nido Reconstitution

Hooch
08-30-2010, 20:29
I'm looking at getting some Nido to mix in a freezer bag with granola for breakfasts on the trail, but read on Nido's website that their instructions for reconstitution call for adding warm water. Has anyone had any issues with adding cool/cold water to Nido? I'm trying to mix it up a bit with breakfast and get away from oatmeal (which I burned out on long ago) and grits (which I'm currently getting burned out on), so I'm thinking that a cold breakfast of granola and milk sounds pretty good. So, any word of Nido wisdom? Thanks in advance! :D

Tuckahoe
08-30-2010, 20:44
I use it at home regularly and all I ever use is cold water from the tap. Never had any issues.

budforester
08-30-2010, 22:47
It works OK for me, too. In fact, in civilization, I put ice cubes in my water bottle so I get cold milk with my raisin bran. At home, I mix the milk separately. For camping I pack, mix and eat out of a zip- bag.

Tagless
08-30-2010, 22:49
No problem at all with cold water. It's all I've ever used with Nido on the trail.

Jonnycat
08-30-2010, 23:04
Never had a problem with cold water and Nido. I don't use it anymore (I switched over to nonfat), but it mixes just fine.

Rain Man
08-30-2010, 23:45
I used Nido weekend before last on the AT. Mixed it with "instant breakfast" and cold water in a twist-top container with no problem.

Rain:sunMan

Hooch
08-31-2010, 21:47
Sounds like it's on with Nido then. Thanks for the responses, y'all. :D

12ax7
08-31-2010, 22:28
nido sounds great. have never heard of it lol. i looked on nido site for a location, and no one in my area carries it. how much does it taste like milk?.

budforester
08-31-2010, 23:00
nido sounds great. have never heard of it lol. i looked on nido site for a location, and no one in my area carries it. how much does it taste like milk?.

I like it OK... to my tastebuds, it's a lot more like milk than the nonfat powder. But don't expect it to be exactly like fresh- squeezed.

Rick500
08-31-2010, 23:14
I like it, and I *don't* like "regular" powdered milk at all.

Nido tastes about as close to whole milk as you're ever going to find in a powder.

12ax7
08-31-2010, 23:19
tnx bud. i wuz thinking of using it for my mac and cheese instead of coffee mate. and for instant breakfast like rain man. and did not mean to hijak hooch's thread..

SMSP
09-01-2010, 00:43
Nido can be found at Wal-Mart.

SMSP

Rick500
09-01-2010, 01:10
Nido can be found at Wal-Mart.

SMSP

Kroger as well...at least some locations.
(Check the ethnic foods aisle, in the Mexican section.)

Hikes in Rain
09-01-2010, 06:53
And don't forget to check in the powdered milk section. When I first heard of Nido and decided to try it, it was just before one of my section hikes. Checked in the ethnic section, the baby food section, and everywhere else I'd read it might be. (Worth noting that the grocery stores down here seem to use a random number generator for locating groceries. Parmesan cheese in the block is NOT located with the cheeses, for example)

Finally gave up, deciding to take regular (ug!) powdered skim. Yep, there was the Nido!

sarbar
09-01-2010, 17:55
Warm water equals easier dissolving the fat. With enough shaking it dissolves just fine in cold.