PDA

View Full Version : Exploring the AT

PecosBackpacker
11-24-2004, 10:57
Hello all
Once again, I have a question about a particualr series of AT books. Does anyone know where I can find "Exploring the Appalachian Trail" book series? Each book is written by a different author. Ther are 5 in the series. I plan on doing a portion of the AT at some point in the next year and would like to read these to get some ideas. Thanks.

grrickar
11-24-2004, 11:17
Yep. Try Amazon or your local REI. I bought the book on TN/NC AT sections at an REI in Atlanta. I have seen them at most REI stores in the Southeast. I did find that when I was on business travel in California, there were no AT maps to be had there, and only a few books on the AT. They are good IMO. They list the hikes in sections, so you could do overnighters or weekenders on some of them if you want, and it gives you info on parking, how strenuous the hike is, mileage, elevation,etc. The person (Doris Gove?) who wrote the book I have must have been a botanist - there are tons of descriptions of flowers, plants and fungi.

MOWGLI
11-24-2004, 11:20
The person (Doris Gove?) who wrote the book I have must have been a botanist - there are tons of descriptions of flowers, plants and fungi.

Doris is a member of the Smoky Mountain Hiking Club and is a very good naturalist. A fine writer too.

Rain Man
11-24-2004, 14:01
I do believe I have one checked out from my local public library right now. You might want to do an online search of your library.
:sun
Rain Man