PDA

View Full Version : What gear do you refuse to give up to lose pack weight?

The Will
11-24-2004, 16:59
There was recently a post on the topic of favorite pieces of light weight gear. I’d like to spin the question just slightly and see which equipment items people would refuse to do without even for the sake of reducing pack weight. (I’m speaking specifically of superfluous stuff and not essentials such as a water container or bedding in its various forms, etc,).

My hope is that in this process of disclosure, others can suggest lighter alternatives or multi-use items in place of those items people list as their essentials.

I have two items of my own that immediately come to mind.

1) A sleeping bag liner. I have little use for this item as a means to increase the insulating properties of my sleeping bag, but I’m a huge advocate of keeping my bag clean. I prefer to select a high quality piece of gear and take good care of it ensuring that I only buy it once. The use of a liner retards accumulation of odors and protects the insulation from trail grime, sweat and body oils, ultimately reducing the necessity to wash the bag. As with a pair of jeans, it stands to reason that most of the wear on a sleeping bag would occur through the washing/drying process.

My bag has been on two, 5-month back-county trips, been washed once, and is showing no signs of wear.

2) A second set of clothes. This second set is lighter and less substantial than the clothes worn on the trail and I may omit them during summer, low elevation, or low latitude hiking. Outside of any of those conditions though, I take them. Weather and injury are unpredictable. Even though I seldom use this second set, I like to know that I can get dry (for safety more so than comfort) whenever I need to.

The alternative to both of these items that I’m moving towards is to carry top and bottom silk weight capilene. Both needs would be met concurrently.

Jaybird
11-24-2004, 17:35
i'll DITTO on the 2nd set of clothes...

i usually call them my "camp clothes" as they are only another wicking shirt & pair of nylon shorts & cheap slippers.

i guess my main thing on the "CAN'T DO WITHOUT IT" list would be my 5mp digital camera...it weighs 13 oz without batteries & i still take it....

AM I NUTS???????????? (no answer needed here!)

Hammock Hanger
11-24-2004, 17:51
My camp clothes would have to be added as well. I like a dry set to sleep in. -- I could give up the pocketmail and camera if I was forced, they would not impact my comfort level but since I don't have to, I'll carry them. Sue/HH

Lone Wolf
11-24-2004, 18:39
Stainless steel pot, Swiss army knife, Nalgene bottle, tent.

The Will
11-24-2004, 18:39
Thanks to the above two posts, I'm reminded of my most obvious "will not do withouts", that being my camera and tripod. The Tripod is carbon fiber, but I don't even make an attempt to lighten up on the camera, a larger SLR. The two combined easily add 4-5 lbs.....but I'm a photographer first, light weight backpacker second.

smokymtnsteve
11-24-2004, 18:43
Stainless steel pot, Swiss army knife, Nalgene bottle, tent.

so what happened to your frying pan LW? :cool:

My frying pan is one of the things I won't give up!

nor my french coffee press.

Lone Wolf
11-24-2004, 18:45
Oh Yeah! Fry pan and insulated mug.

Footslogger
11-24-2004, 18:53
Not sure it would amount to any real weight savings ...but if I had to give something up it would be my little waterproof radio that hooks on to my sternum strap.

I went through the weeding out process on the way to Katahdin last year and can honestly say that I use everything in my pack. I'll never make to the elite "ultralightweight" level but darned pleased to toting a 24 pound pack these days.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Skeemer
11-24-2004, 19:13
Ditto the bag liner...have praised it often.

Add to that my ten pack of body wipes...I know, I know "real backpackers" have strangley beards and are proud of their stink. It's like my dog sniffing the fire hydrant...hikers like to have to their own smell I guess.

LW...thought for sure you say your six shooter.

smokymtnsteve
11-24-2004, 19:17
LW...thought for sure you say your six shooter.

Skeemer this thread is about what you would give up to lose pack weight,

I'm sure LW keeps his 6-shooter more handy than in his pack. therefore his shooting iron doesn't contribute to his pack weight. :D

Lone Wolf
11-24-2004, 19:30
It's a 9-shooter. 1 in the chamber, 8 in the clip.

Lilred
11-24-2004, 19:31
I have an 11oz. chair that I carry around. It is really the frame that fits around my sleeping pad. Makes for comfy sitting around the camp. My luxury item.

Skeemer
11-24-2004, 19:32
SMS wrote:
I'm sure LW keeps his 6-shooter more handy than in his pack. therefore his shooting iron doesn't contribute to his pack weight.

Oh...I was referring to the extras he carries in his pack in case the one on his holster jams. Maybe I shoud have guessed the ammunition was in the pack. :D

ripple
11-24-2004, 20:00
........1911? :clap

stickman
11-24-2004, 21:19
A 1911 would be 7+1. Sounds like a nine of some kind. I have a S&W 317T eight shooter in .22 that weighs just under 16 ounces loaded, though I rarely pack it. Sorry, I know this is somewhat off subject.

stickman
11-24-2004, 21:23
A 1911 should be 7+1. Sounds like a 9 of some kind. I have a three inch S&W 317Ti eight shooter that weighs under 16 ounces loaded, though I don't always pack it. Sorry that this if somewhat off subject.

Stickman

TakeABreak
11-24-2004, 23:29
Are we talking gun or gear here. If we are talking gear It's my water filter.

If were talking guns, it would either be a Charter Arms, Bulldog or Glock, Model 22

stupe
11-25-2004, 00:08
My Grundig Mini World AM FM Shortwave radio. 3.5 oz. About the size of a cigarette pack. Hours of entertainment and news. Also a pint of vodka, entertainment but no news.

Ridge
11-25-2004, 02:14
mylar bag shower rig.

ForceTen
11-25-2004, 06:00
I used to bring a sleeping bag liner for warmth and hygiene, but nowdays I bring a set of thin thermal underwears instead, Helly Hansen Lifa Sport. (About 12 oz I think for the long sleeved shirt and pants). I'll always sleep in it, in the summer too, but I regulate the heat by sleeping in the bag, under the bag, or with no sleeping bag on warm nights. It protects the sleeping bag in the same way as a liner, but I can put it on for the hike too if the temperature drops. Easy to wash, dries really fast. (washing it in the morning and having it drying on the backpack during the day works fine)

/FT

Skeemer
11-25-2004, 08:38
Force Ten wrote:
I used to bring a sleeping bag liner for warmth and hygiene, but nowdays I bring a set of thin thermal underwears instead

I also do exactly the same thing with a pair of Pategonia silk mid weights. But, I never ditched the 3 oz silk bag liner and I still carry and use the body wipes. Sounds like I'm obsessed with cleanliness...but "cleanliness is next to Godliness."

ripple
11-25-2004, 14:51
Stickman....

Originals are 7. I use wilson mags 8 plus 1. I was just guessing at LW's choice. 1911 is way to heavy. Keltec 380. Nice and light,... if one was to get packed along.

prozac
11-25-2004, 23:11
Even on weekend hikes I always take a book. They haven't always been good but nothing beats them on a cold,rainy stuck in a shelter night.

Smooth03
11-27-2004, 10:07
Agreed. A good book is definately worth its wait. If its a one nighter a newspaper works best though. Good for starting the fire.

Doctari
11-27-2004, 13:44
I carry a PVC 6 hole transverse flute & 3 sheets of music (Tablature) total weight about 15 Oz. Going to carry it on all trips, makes rest stops a bit more pleasent.

I also wear a wool kilt that is about 12 Oz heaver than my hiking shorts, which I also carry for camp/night wear, so 15 Oz.

Total weight of "stuff I will not give up" 30 Oz.

I dont think it a problem as my FSO weight is still under 24 Lbs. Could get weight down to 22.25ish if I really tried, but when (if) I get my new sleeping bag, that weight will be reached anyway, so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doctari.

Nameless
11-28-2004, 07:02
Trying to go light as possible i find myself throwing everything i thought i once could not leave without (I may even thru hike without my chair, and for someone with two back surgeries, i wonder if that’s taking too big of a chance...)

But my trusty deck of cards (maybe I’ll cut it in half...) Got some cheap waterproof cheeto cards one year, lasted me FOREVER until I lent them to the wrong person, completely waterproof and so awesome, but now i have a Doritos deck, and it works. And also will never give up the thermarest, its a recent buy (right after they made them lighter). Such a difference from those blue pads i have used soooo long.

Thanks
Pink

SGT Rock
11-28-2004, 15:00
Small FM radio, Jim Beam, and coffee.

Happy
11-28-2004, 23:18
Small AM/FM/TV/Weather band radio. single malt scotch and cuban cigars.

Bloodroot
11-29-2004, 01:56
My back-up flashlite, small MP3 player(w/earbuds) and my Timex Helix watch.

PKH
11-29-2004, 08:45
-pair of lite weight long pants and long sleeved shirt to ensure dry clothes in camp.

-3/4 length thermarest (currently Prolite 3)

Cheers,

PKH

Alligator
11-29-2004, 12:13
Thermarest chair. Whiskey (Irish). Don't give up the chair Nameless!

In winter, one pint thermos. Good tequila (repasado or anejo).

When hiking with buddy, cards (airline size), cribbage board. Sometimes 1.5 oz chess board.

The Solemates
11-29-2004, 12:20
I always bring a small book or two or my latest magazine, no matter the length of the trip.