PDA

View Full Version : Packs

jsstewar
08-31-2010, 13:05
Hopefully someone can direct me with a link to a thread that already has a lot of this information. But every pack that I research seems to have something rather prominent that people dislike about it. And each thing seems to be a very credible concern. What are the most used Packs on the AT? not lightweight mind you, I'm starting my walk with my girlfriend and our dog next march, so we'll need space for a decent amount of things, not too heavy of course, but not constricting. Any help is appreciated.

Mountain Wildman
08-31-2010, 13:16
Very popular packs are Granite Gear, Osprey, ULA and Golite, Kelty is a popular external frame and then their are the Ultra lights like Six Moon Designs, Mountain Laurel Designs, Gossamer Gear and Zpacks. I use a Mystery Ranch Trance XXX, Mystery Ranch is a "Bulletproof" backpack that I've never heard anything bad about except that they are not cheap. You can't buy them at an outfitter, direct only but they are very adjustable.

Doc Mike
08-31-2010, 13:28
Don't forget Gregory, heavy duty not ultralight but definitely well constructed and solid.

Deuter very good light pack with good roomy models like the act lite 65 + 10

Doc Mike

Mountain Wildman
08-31-2010, 13:39
Don't forget Gregory, heavy duty not ultralight but definitely well constructed and solid.

Doc Mike

I Knew I would forget a few, Thanks, I've heard a lot of good about Deuter and Gregory as well.

Luddite
08-31-2010, 13:43
You should check out ULA packs (ula-equipment.com). Made in Utah, not in SE Asia.

I used a Gregory Baltoro everyday for two years. It was a heavy pack, but it was the most comfortable I ever wore. Definitely great packs if you plan on carrying a heavy load.

Graywolf
08-31-2010, 13:48

Doc Mike

Love my Deuter 65+10. I was skeptical on this pack at first, but it has been strong and I have already used it around here in Texas. The air flow really works to keep it cool. I know. I live in Texas.. plus, even though the buckles are small, they are very strong. I was surpised..Love this pack..

Graywolf

Rick500
08-31-2010, 13:50
I have an Osprey that I like quite a bit; my second choice would have been Gregory. I liked the way the Osprey felt, a little better. That's going to be different for everyone though.

flemdawg1
08-31-2010, 14:07
Among the thruhikers i saw in June most had Gregory's or Osprey's, with a handful of Granite Gears and Golites.

Danielsen
08-31-2010, 16:17
REI has a house-brand backpack or two that are very well liked, fairly lightweight, and present a good value. I haven't used them myself. I have a Granite Gear that's an excellent load-hauler but I've also done quite well with $30 Outdoor Products packs that you can buy at wal-mart. There really aren't many (if any) truly bad packs on the market, just packs and people that don't go together properly, causing the user to sometimes declare a pack "bad" despite the same pack being perfect for someone else's body. Best bet is to try some on at the nearest outfitter you can find (even Dick's Sporting Goods carries a decent selection).

Raul Perez
08-31-2010, 16:43
Take a look at the ULA circuit and catalyst as well as REI flash 65

BrianLe
08-31-2010, 16:54
I saw quite a variety of packs on the AT this year, no real "consensus". But recognize that a lot more thru-hikers on the AT are doing their first long trail.

On the PCT in 2008 there was more of a trend of quite a number of thru's I saw, ULA was the most common, and I didn't run into anyone that had one and didn't like it.

ULA isn't the lightest choice, my sense about ULA is that they've tried to stake out a sweet spot between "lightest" and various heavier packs on the other end of the spectrum that offer some combination of more "fully featured", durable, higher load bearing, and comfortable. ULA packs are enough of those latter things, yet not too-o-o heavy, so I think they are a good place to have a look.

Deadeye
08-31-2010, 17:13
IMO, most reviews are useless. They'll have comments such as "hugs your back, carries huge loads, but doesn't have a hydration pocket." I suppose that would be meaningful to someone who carries huge loads, wants a pack to hug their back, and is real concerned with hydration pockets, but that's not me.

Maybe if you read the reviews with a critical eye toward what matters to you, you can narrow down the packs you want to try on or try out. Otherwise, just try them all and see what fits your body well and carries your load well, and ignore everyone's opinion. Start by ignoring mine, most do.

sbhikes
08-31-2010, 19:19
Every pack is going to have something about it that somebody doesn't like. That doesn't mean it won't get you to the end of the trail. Just look for a tool that will do the job for you with negatives you can live with.

I used a Gossamer Gear G4 for over half of my hike. I could list out a whole bunch of negatives, probably more negatives than positives. But it got me to Canada and most of the time I didn't even think about my pack.

Macritchie
09-11-2010, 02:59
Let me ask another related question. I know some long distance hikers (one week continuous) who carry heavy packweights (40-50lb) and others who manage to carry under 30lb. What loaded weight do you guys normally carry on the AT? I just read Ray Jardine's book on the PCT trail where he carries <20lbs. Does anyone use a tarp instead of a tent? Colin Fletcher used to do this, but I never tried it. Of course he mostly hiked in the Western states. Just curious...

jtbradyl
09-11-2010, 15:02
Arc'teryx Bora 80

Luddite
09-11-2010, 15:09
Let me ask another related question. I know some long distance hikers (one week continuous) who carry heavy packweights (40-50lb) and others who manage to carry under 30lb. What loaded weight do you guys normally carry on the AT? I just read Ray Jardine's book on the PCT trail where he carries <20lbs. Does anyone use a tarp instead of a tent? Colin Fletcher used to do this, but I never tried it. Of course he mostly hiked in the Western states. Just curious...

I plan on using a tarp on my Thru next year and my summer base weight will be around 9 or 10 pounds. I think a tent would be over kill on the AT since theres over 200 shelters. 40 to 50 pound is way too much to be carrying for 2000 plus miles.

bigcranky
09-11-2010, 15:50
A tarp is fine on the AT. As anywhere, site selection and proper pitch are crucial. A simple 8x10 foot silnylon tarp (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20069) is a good place to start -- inexpensive, well made, and provides plenty of coverage. Once you get used to using a tarp, you can move up to a sub-4-ounce Cuben fiber shaped tarp like this one (http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid.shtml).

sbhikes
09-13-2010, 00:08
I mostly did not use a tarp. I used a Gossamer Gear One tent. I did all the math between using a rain poncho as a shelter, using an 8x10 tarp, and the One and because of having to carry a bivy or not, or having to carry additional rain gear or not, or having to carry additional bug netting or not, the difference was so minimal that even though the tent was a few ounces more, the ease of use made it the better option for me.

My gear was 12 ounces before food and water was added. A large amount of weight is saved by using an ultralight shelter/pack/sleeping bag. But I think I saved the most weight by eliminating useless items, not carrying spare clothing and shaving every possible amount of weight from whatever was left.

4eyedbuzzard
09-13-2010, 00:17
. . . My gear was 12 ounces before food and water was added. A large amount of weight is saved by using an ultralight shelter/pack/sleeping bag. But I think I saved the most weight by eliminating useless items, not carrying spare clothing and shaving every possible amount of weight from whatever was left.

Now THAT'S light. My skivvies alone prolly weigh 12 oz :D

IronGutsTommy
09-13-2010, 00:31
i plan to do nearly all my outfitting at REI, so thanks for the REI flash 65 mention. anyone else have or know about any rei packs that are decent? wont limit myself to just those, but i am outfitting entirely from a brick and mortar, no online shopping

skinewmexico
09-13-2010, 08:45
Now THAT'S light. My skivvies alone prolly weigh 12 oz :D

Yeah, I'm thinking she meant 12 pounds. Still good.

sbhikes
09-13-2010, 09:51
Year sorry. It was 12 lbs.

sbhikes
09-13-2010, 09:51
Oops there I go again. Yeah.

JAK
09-13-2010, 09:53
I remember my daughter's diapers were rated for 12-20 pounds,
but I always changed them WAY before they got that full.

ZeroLozen
09-13-2010, 12:21
Dana Designs!!!!!...or whatever their name is now...but awesome comfortable products...top knotch!!!

dcmidnight
09-13-2010, 13:04
i plan to do nearly all my outfitting at REI, so thanks for the REI flash 65 mention. anyone else have or know about any rei packs that are decent? wont limit myself to just those, but i am outfitting entirely from a brick and mortar, no online shopping
REI carries a wide variety of Osprey packs as well - that is where I bought my daypack last year. In addition I bought a Kestrel 48 this year from a friend and brought it to REI - they helped me get it fit right even though he was the one that bought it from REI not me.

The one thing I like about the larger Osprey packs is the custom moldable hip belts and REI has the Osprey "oven" in most stores where they heat it up and get it fit to you right in the store.

bandit
10-01-2010, 02:09
I remember my daughter's diapers were rated for 12-20 pounds,
but I always changed them WAY before they got that full.

JAK, I had no idea diapers were so sturdy. Maybe I can use a diaper as my pack on my thru this spring. Strong, lightweight, AND fashionable. Though I'd probably end up with "diaperpack" as my trail name. :D

garlic08
10-01-2010, 09:48

Continuing with the drift, the beauty of the AT is that you see just about everything out there. You literally see the range from seven pounds to seventy pounds, and I'm not exaggerating. As mentioned above, it's the first long trail for most hikers and the gear isn't "dialed in" yet. Plus there are all sorts of different reasons to be out there and there's such a huge population nearby.

I think most thru hikers get their packed weight down to around 30 pounds by the end of the AT. If they go on to the PCT, most at least glance at Ray Jardine's book and get their packs below 20 pounds.

I was the exception and hiked the PCT first, AT last. I started the PCT with less than 15 pounds, and started the AT with less than 10 (those are base weights, no food or water, but I never carried more than 20 pounds total packed weight on the AT). But that was a glaring exception to the rule on the AT. My shelter was a Henry Shires Tarptent--more flexible than a plain tarp, but much more expensive too.

I saw plenty of simple cheap tarps on the AT. You need to substitute skill and experience for gear weight. Same with packs--the lighter the pack, the less forgiving it is.

The best gear is the stuff you "don't even notice", like Piper's pack, though I'm sure it weighs a tad more than 12 ounces!

To the OP, good luck with the pack choice. You probably can't go wrong with ULA. Though I've never owned a ULA pack, I've hiked with lots of people who do and I've never heard a bad word about them.

nitegaunt
10-01-2010, 10:07
Just to throw in two more cents worth of opinion here. I have a Gregory Acadia that I bought back in 2004. It's a mid-size pack and it's very tough. Been with me on many trips including being thrown around in airports as well as on the trail. I highly recommend them for a sturdy product that is very comfortable and adjustable. Really, as long as you buy something from an outfitter who takes the few minutes with you to make sure the pack is sized right for your body you should be happy. You can go lighter with those that have no frame at all and such but sacrifice stability and comfort many times. It's a trade-off and only you know your body and the way you like to hike.

Grampsb
10-01-2010, 11:20
How about McHale packs?

Medic!
10-09-2010, 22:21
I started backpacking with a Gregory Baltoro 70; I really like that pack, even though it's "heavy". It is super sturdy and can hold a ton of stuff.

I did however recently switch to a Granite Gear Meridian Vapor for the simple fact that as I make more trips, I've been adjusting my gear to the point that the 70L pack was just too big. The Meridian isn't a "perfect" pack for me, there are a few options that I could do without (i.e hydration bladder sleeve. Don't use one.) but on the whole I like this pack as much as the Baltoro, which I'll still use for trips where I have to carry large quantities of food between resupplies.
(Using it on a NOLS course later this month in fact, because I have to carry communal group gear as well as my own)

And Granite Gear has primo customer service; Spent two weeks on the SHT at the end of last month and partway through stupidly tried to force the front zipper closed over a full load after a resupply, and tore the fabric between the teeth of the zipper. Safety pinned it for the rest of the trip, and since GG is based in Two Harbors, MN (about two miles from the trail), I dropped it off on my way home to see if they could repair it, and within 48 hours they shipped me a new pack without charge.

Key lesson here is smaller and lighter pack is somewhat more delicate than the big Gregory, but damage can be prevented by not doing stupid things :)

Pony
10-10-2010, 00:13
I'll bet the most "popular" packs on the trail are the best marketed packs. Sadly, people buy into all that crap.

skinewmexico
10-10-2010, 00:34
I'll bet the most "popular" packs on the trail are the best marketed packs. Sadly, people buy into all that crap.

And usually at REI.

Stir Fry
10-10-2010, 08:54
How about McHale packs?

One of the best you can buy. Also, one of the most expesive. It does cary weight very well though, and is comforable doing it. Depends on what you want from your pack.

RockDoc
11-13-2010, 00:16
Yo. You can't buy a really good light pack at REI.
Or a tent, or a bag.

Go with the small American 'boutique' makers, like SMD. Some of these companies are run by past thru-hikers.

BrianLe
11-13-2010, 04:17
"You can't buy a really good light pack at REI. Or a tent, or a bag."

This used to be true, and I used to say the same thing, but I recall looking round last year in REI and finding an Osprey pack that I thought wasn't too bad at all, and I think the same thing might be true for sleeping bags now (?) --- maybe not the best possible choice, but decent in the context of light to ultralight backpacking.

Tents now, I'm with you on tents. Maybe you can get a tarp there that's okay (dunno), but I've never seen a single walled tent at REI.

I do agree that in general it's good to be aware of "what's out there" before tuning your sense of what's light and what's heavy based on what your local sporting goods store (REI or other) happens to have on offer at the time. So in addition to RockDoc's suggestion of SMD (http://sixmoondesigns.com/), I would suggest looking at tarptent.com, gossamergear.com, mountainlaureldesigns.com, ula-equipment.com, lightheartgear.com, antigravitygear.com, as well as online places that aggregate light gear such as prolitegear.com and backcountrygear.com. I'm sure I've missed some in this ad hoc list, but I think these are a good start.

TheChop
11-13-2010, 04:29
You should check out ULA packs (ula-equipment.com). Made in Utah, not in SE Asia.

I used a Gregory Baltoro everyday for two years. It was a heavy pack, but it was the most comfortable I ever wore. Definitely great packs if you plan on carrying a heavy load.

My Gregory is amazing. The lumbar support is simply fantastic.

Spokes
11-13-2010, 08:53
I thru hiked using an Osprey Atmos 65 and loved it except for the crappy mesh hip belt pockets that shredded way too early- a minor complaint. Other than that it was pretty much bombproof.

Sierra Echo
11-13-2010, 09:01
I have a granite gear daypack and a kelty backpack. I love both of them!

4eyedbuzzard
11-13-2010, 10:04

Maybe, maybe not. GG Vapor Trail is often cited as the most used pack by AT thru-hikers. It's reasonably well marketed, but not to the extent of TNF, Gregory, Osprey, etc. And it's a pretty good pack based upon the opinions of those who use it.

For thru-hikers and long distance hikers, gear selection is often somewhat different than for most hikers. They generally have more experience, tend to research equipment choices more thoroughly, and have different needs than section and casual / weekend hikers - mostly trading convenience and durability against weight carried. LD hikers have to make miles - others not so much. There's also the difference of equipment choices that arise based on how much of one's outdoor experience is pure hiking vs camping. And look at the difference between what someone like a Ray Jardine carries vs a Tipi Walter. And then factor in the geography, season, etc. Lots of variables.

In the end, sometimes the best marketed stuff really does fit the bill, sometimes not. I wouldn't classify it all as crap just beacuse it doesn't meet the criteria for one particular hiking style. For example, durability is important for most casual hikers - they're not buying a pack for one long hike or one purpose. They want to be able to use it 3 seasons for short and long trips, beat it up, AND get 10 years or more out of it. The extra pound or so carried is worth it in terms of service life. Also add that while I don't think TNF's stuff is particularly the best choice for most "fair weather" hiking in the east - their serious mountaineering equipment is still very well respected. Just different needs and different products - like comparing a Jetboil vs an alky stove - it all comes down to choices - and the de rigueur HYOH.

Blissful
11-13-2010, 12:57
The pack of choice I saw on the trail was the ULA catalyst, esp for light carriers. I don't see any GG vaportrails anymore. That was the "in" thing a few years back.

Trailbender
11-13-2010, 16:41

You can save a lot of money buying things online. Regular stores will generally be more expensive and have a smaller selection.