PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Fairview 3 for mom, dad, and baby?

Waterfall
08-31-2010, 13:22
I'm looking for a tent that I, my husband, and my almost-9-month-old daughter can use for backpacking, and that we can continue to use for a few years while she's still small. We're starting with very short backpacking trips (as in, hike in three miles, camp, hike out three miles) but will plan longer ones as she grows older.

Our main limitation is financial--we need something relatively inexpensive, no more than $150. Obviously, we'd also like something relatively lightweight, which means we're not looking for traditional "family camping" tents.

So far, the Big Agnes Fairview 3 (http://www.rei.com/product/801350) seems to be my best bet. It's originally $250 and is on sale for $125. on If you have experience with this tent and can recommend it (or discourage me from buying it!), please let me know. I'm leaning toward this tent because of the dome construction--I think the space would be better for changing diapers, rocking baby, being stuck inside in the rain, etc.

Also, if you can recommend other tents that can be found for $150 or less, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

Feral Bill
08-31-2010, 13:39
Looks a bit small for a three person tent, at least as the baby gets to be a large child (at which point she may want to have her own small shelter). The price seems very good indeed.

mister krabs
08-31-2010, 13:45
Looks good to me, good price, two aluminum poles, mesh ceiling for stargazing, rain fly all the way to the ground, good vestibule for gear, rei's good returns. I prefer two doors and vestibules so you don't have to crawl over the other person in the middle of the night.

flemdawg1
08-31-2010, 14:21
Its a bit heavy. What I did was get a Tarptent Rainshadow 2, 2.5 lbs and will fit 3 adults. You can find a used occasionally here (selling gear) or Backpackinglight.com Gear Swap for ~$150.

DaveSail
08-31-2010, 14:25
Did you hike for a bit with Isis and Jacrabbit ? David

mikec
08-31-2010, 14:25
Thats a good price on the Big Agnes. I have a BA Seedhouse SL1 so I know that they make a quality product. Here is a link to a three person tent with two doors:

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Kelty-Gunnison-41-Tent-4-Person-3-Season/KEL0297M.html

mister krabs
08-31-2010, 14:38
Also, alps mountaineering zephyr 3 is similar weight, similar size, similar quality, 2 doors, 2 vestibules.

Waterfall
09-01-2010, 11:55
Thanks for your feedback. I ended up getting the Fairview--some of the other tents looked nice but were out of my price range. In a few years we'll get something bigger--by then, money will (hopefully) not be such an object!