PDA

View Full Version : MH Compressor PL Jacket vs Montbell Thermawrap.

MisterSweetie
11-24-2004, 20:56
I'm interested in both of these items.

Mountain Hardwear Compressor PL Jacket (http://www.mountainhardwear.com/www/action/catalog/DisplayStyle?id=1241) 16oz.

Montbell U.L. Thermawrap Inner Jacket (https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=2002&hinban=2301239) 8.2oz.

Really don't know which I should go for. I'm happy with MH products in general, and can readily try on the MH product, so sizing would be more convenient. But the Montbell jacket is almost half the weight, which would also be nice. Also a down / synthetic issue, and the price is significantly different as well.

Can anyone offer opinions? I suppose the most important factor for me would be the jacket's warmth. I have other windproof jackets, I have other rainproof jackets, etc.

Thanks!

David S.
11-29-2004, 03:16
I have been thouroughly impressed with the MB Thermawrap. This jacket has not yet ceased to amaze me with its warmth compared to its weight. (by the way, I have the large and it weighs in at 10 oz on my postage scale) I have been out in windy 35 degree temps with nothing but a T-shirt and this jacket and was actually surprised at how comfortably warm I was. It felt like I was wearing hardly anything but found myself feeling warm...almost an odd sensation. Now obviously, this jacket isn't meant for serious winter conditions...but for its weight, its pretty high on my list of favorite gear. I would say that its just as warm as my lightweight fleece top with my Precip over that for breaking wind...maybe even warmer.

Im sure that the Granite Gear jacket is also a quality peace of gear but
the weight to warmth ratio of the Thermawrap sure adds a nice touch of "wow" which is always nice.

MileMonster
11-29-2004, 09:07
I've been happy with my thermawrap. I used it early on in my thru this year. I started March 9. It kept me warm around camp and duing breaks. If it wasn't enough I threw my precip over it. Frankly, on the days it was too cold for this get-up, it was just too cold. During those times I was eating a fast dinner and hunkering down in my sleeping bag. It's a little too warm for hiking in, unless it's frigid. While hiking I just used capilene and precip. Amazing for the weight.

tlbj6142
11-29-2004, 10:20
There is a brief summary from a review of insulated jackets (synthetic only) on bpl.com (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/2004_ultralight_synthetic_insulating_jackets_vests _review.html), might be worth a look. I think they cover the UL, but not the MH.

MisterSweetie
11-30-2004, 23:05
Thank for all the input!

Tater
12-11-2004, 23:39
Does the Thermawrap have a bottom drawstring? I don't see one.

David S.
12-12-2004, 00:43
No drawstring on the thermawrap. Just an elastic band that goes around the bottem. Its really quite comfortable and functional. No need for a drawstring.

Smile
12-11-2005, 09:57
The MH is a great jack too, the 15 oz is sweet, not quite the 8 oz, but super warm, and great pockets with some sort of very light fleece that faces 'front' so your hands are toasty. Does have a draw string at the bottom (pulls from the back), velcro closures on wrists and a draw ( also from the back) for the neck cuff, which also has a nice fleece area where your mouth/chin are - very comfortable, worth the price - EMS carries them.

Cheesewhiz
12-11-2005, 13:52
[quote=Smile]The MH is a great jack too, the 15 oz is sweet, not quite the 8 oz, but super warm, and great pockets

You hit the nail on the head. great pockets. the thermawrap has no pockets. Don't get me wrong I love my thermawrap but pockets would be nice for and extra ounce or so.

MisterSweetie
12-11-2005, 14:22
I went with the Compressor PL. I love it. Agreed on the pockets; if the PL didn't have them, I'd be sorely disappointed. The PL is warm enough, and wind doesn't cut through it at all.

David S.
01-19-2008, 23:07
I am revisiting this post after almost 3 years since it was started. I just want to report that I am still loving the same Montbell Thermawrap that I had then. This thing is a classic. I have been hoping this one would wear out so I could purchase the new version with the pockets but I just cant seem to destroy it and it is still just as warm as when I purchased it. I have bushwhacked in the Big Frog wilderness with it, I have slid for 100 yards down a snow patch in CO last summer on my stomach, machine washed it many times even tough it says to only hand wash it, I have pretty much not treated it well at all. While it is showing signs of wear, they are only cosmetic and do not effect the performance. I have always been a fan of Montbell stuff and its unfortunate they are not American made. When this jacket finally breaths its last breath, I will retire it and purchase another. This jacket will go down as a classic and I hope that it sticks around for a long time.