PDA

View Full Version : Tragic News on the AT

OnlyJohn
08-31-2010, 14:52
Well, at least he was doing what he liked.

http://www.ajc.com/news/hiker-found-dead-on-603532.html

Mountain Wildman
08-31-2010, 15:03
Whiteblaze has posted this also.
I agree, No loss of a loved one is a good loss and my sincerest sympathies go out to the friends and family, But, When it's my time to meet the Lord, I hope it will be outdoors in the amazing world he created just for us!!!

Rain Man
08-31-2010, 16:03
Well, at least he was doing what he liked.

You probably got that right. I've had family members die after many months in hospitals. NOT the way they wanted to go.

Out hiking a trail seems like as good as any and better than most ways to go.

All the same, sympathies to his family and friends.

Rain:sunMan

Sierra Echo
08-31-2010, 16:07
I'm having some health issues right now. If I were to find out I had terminal cancer, I would start hiking the AT til I died. Why prolong it in a hospital?

generoll
08-31-2010, 18:41
much better then dieing in a nursing home in a diaper full of ****.

Lyle
08-31-2010, 19:21
Well, I generally agree with the sentiments expressed here, but, by the same token, the guy was only 54. Not really time to go, no matter what the circumstances. Sympathies to family and friends.

Sierra Echo
08-31-2010, 19:31
much better then dieing in a nursing home in a diaper full of ****.

I agree!!!

Skidsteer
08-31-2010, 19:54
I'll take the diaper at 95 over the heart attack at 54.

Maybe that's just me though.

Skidsteer
08-31-2010, 19:57

After careful consideration, I'll just take a heart attack at 95 since I'm choosing.

Sierra Echo
08-31-2010, 19:59
After careful consideration, I'll just take a heart attack at 95 since I'm choosing.

But you generally don't get to choose!

Skidsteer
08-31-2010, 20:03
But you generally don't get to choose!

Really?

I'm going to ask my Plan Provider about that. It doesn't seem right after all the premiums I've paid.

Mountain Wildman
08-31-2010, 20:05
When it's your time, That's it.
I've know more than a few that never made it past 17, 22, 23, 25, You never know.

generoll
08-31-2010, 20:11
strokes and heart attacks come at all different ages. it's not like we really get to choose. sure, as John Donne said, every mans death diminishes us and we properly should grieve the loss of another man. Since that is the one great common denominator among mankind all we can really do is try to decide if his manner of passing is what we would choose for ourselves. My father suffered a stroke at 80. He lived for another 6 years, but would have been quite content to have had that stroke be fatal rather then just crippling. He expressed those sentiments to my sister and I and he meant it.

It's all hypothetical since we really don't get to choose. Certainly his family must miss him, but as for the decedent, there's no way of knowing if his activity had any effect on his death. For me I'd rather be recycled by natures scavengers then slowly devoured by disease and two legged scavengers.

But again, most of us don't get to choose.

Lone Wolf
08-31-2010, 20:21
When it's your time, That's it.
I've know more than a few that never made it past 17, 22, 23, 25, You never know.

yup. i died 4 times in the space of 4 days after i turned 50

Mountain Wildman
08-31-2010, 20:28

Thanks for the chuckle:D
I am creeping up on 50 myself.

Sierra Echo
08-31-2010, 20:41

That happened to my friend Jerry too. He had a fatal heart attack back in Feb while driving down the road. The passenger managed to get the vehicle under control and call an ambulance. Jerry was pronounced dead at the scene. They somehow managed to get him back after that, and he died three more times over the next few days in the hospital. He survived open heart sugery a few months later and Monday was his first day back at work~!

Lone Wolf
08-31-2010, 20:42
That happened to my friend Jerry too. He had a fatal heart attack back in Feb while driving down the road. The passenger managed to get the vehicle under control and call an ambulance. Jerry was pronounced dead at the scene. They somehow managed to get him back after that, and he died three more times over the next few days in the hospital. He survived open heart sugery a few months later and Monday was his first day back at work~!

well hell yeah! good for him! did the open heart thing too. i'm blessed

Lone Wolf
08-31-2010, 20:43
Thanks for the chuckle:D
I am creeping up on 50 myself.

i'm serious as a heart attack

Mountain Wildman
08-31-2010, 20:47
i'm serious as a heart attack

Wow, Apologies, I thought you were joking, I've never heard of that happening, I've known quite a few people who have had heart attacks or strokes, Heart attacks seem to usually be fatal while strokes seem to just be a warning.

DapperD
08-31-2010, 20:49
i'm serious as a heart attackSince you are being so serious, let's admit your lifestyle must have been just a little to blame:D

Sierra Echo
08-31-2010, 20:50
well hell yeah! good for him! did the open heart thing too. i'm blessed

You are blessed! Did they manage to get everything opened back up?

Lone Wolf
08-31-2010, 20:52
Wow, Apologies, I thought you were joking, I've never heard of that happening, I've known quite a few people who have had heart attacks or strokes, Heart attacks seem to usually be fatal while strokes seem to just be a warning.

had a major heart attack 1 month afer my 50th. was over 90% blocked in 4 arteries so they did the quad by-pass immediately. was an interesting week

thoughts go out to the man's family

Lone Wolf
08-31-2010, 20:54
Since you are being so serious, let's admit your lifestyle must have been just a little to blame:D

yup. piss poor diet year after year while long distance hiking. it's a very unhealthy thing to do

johnnybgood
08-31-2010, 21:08
Heart attacks seem to usually be fatal while strokes seem to just be a warning.
Not the same anatomy affected.
Strokes are caused by inadequate blood flow to the brain where heart attacks are caused by lack of blood flow to the heart.

rickb
08-31-2010, 21:28
yup. piss poor diet year after year while long distance hiking. it's a very unhealthy thing to do

Did I ever mention that I lost 45 lbs in the 6 months following your MI, L Wolf?

Not a coincidence.

Mountain Wildman
08-31-2010, 21:33
Not the same anatomy affected.
Strokes are caused by inadequate blood flow to the brain where heart attacks are caused by lack of blood flow to the heart.

Hmmm, I am happy to say that I really don't know much about Strokes or Heart attacks and I hope it stays that way!!

Lugnut
08-31-2010, 22:28

The diet or the hiking?

4eyedbuzzard
08-31-2010, 22:48
I'm opting for the Nelson Rockefeller method of exiting this world.

warraghiyagey
09-01-2010, 00:53

Agreed. . . . .

CowHead
09-01-2010, 10:58
I wonder if his gear is forsale

Bob Ashe
09-01-2010, 11:30
I died once myself. Doing better now with proper diet and plenty of exercise.

mad4scrapping
09-01-2010, 12:10
My husband also wants to go like Nelson; I only hope he's with me at the time and not with Megan Marshak.:rolleyes:

No Belay
09-01-2010, 19:45
"To die alone, on rock under sun at the brink of the unknown, like a wolf, like a great bird, seems to me very good fortune indeed". Ed Abbey

Savor Happy, it doesn't last forever.

iReact
09-03-2010, 20:06
I wonder if his gear is forsale

I am torn. Do I go for the "Really?" or the "Dibs on his shelter!"?

On a more somber note, he's at home with his Maker now, and my prayers to his loved ones in their time of mourning.

mweinstone
09-03-2010, 20:28
lwolf. gypsy asked me ..." what if you took care of your heart as good as you do of your teeth?" when she saw me flossing just after you frikkin died on me leaveing me no option but to marry my brothers wife. lol.oxoxoooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxmatty .

Lone Wolf
09-03-2010, 20:33
lwolf. gypsy asked me ..." what if you took care of your heart as good as you do of your teeth?" when she saw me flossing just after you frikkin died on me leaveing me no option but to marry my brothers wife. lol.oxoxoooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxmatty .
love you too

weary
09-03-2010, 20:47
Did I ever mention that I lost 45 lbs in the 6 months following your MI, L Wolf?

Not a coincidence.
I don't recalled LW being an instigator, but I've lost 30 pounds in the past year. I attribute it to the loss of the bridge that was put in by Army dentists after they pulled a saveable tooth during the Korean War.

One of the supports got infected so my current dentist pulled the whole thing out and replaced it with a plate that makes chewing tiresome, so I don't eat as much. Without much effort on my part I've drifted from 195 to 165.

My wife is worried. As I am, a bit. I've reached an age when wise people sort of look for an easy way out. But I still have some trails that need both work -- and walking.

More importantly, we still haven't figured out a way to properly protect the remaining high peaks around Saddleback and Bigelow.

Weary www.matlt.org

MoodyBluer
09-05-2010, 21:54
My father suffered a stroke at 80. He lived for another 6 years, but would have been quite content to have had that stroke be fatal rather then just crippling. He expressed those sentiments to my sister and I and he meant it.

It's all hypothetical since we really don't get to choose. Certainly his family must miss him, but as for the decedent, there's no way of knowing if his activity had any effect on his death. For me I'd rather be recycled by natures scavengers then slowly devoured by disease and two legged scavengers.

But again, most of us don't get to choose.

My mom died in Jan. after suffering a massive stroke in 1999 and then living in Purgatory for the next almost 11 years...total paralysis of right side, unable to speak coherently, memory loss, etc...I would not wish that kind of slow death on anyone. Going out like this guy did to me just feels right...maybe even with a smile on the face if you know it's coming.

Tinker
09-05-2010, 23:16
My mom died in Jan. after suffering a massive stroke in 1999 and then living in Purgatory for the next almost 11 years...total paralysis of right side, unable to speak coherently, memory loss, etc...I would not wish that kind of slow death on anyone. Going out like this guy did to me just feels right...maybe even with a smile on the face if you know it's coming.
My mother in law passed away this spring after suffering several strokes, the first of which robbed her of her ability to put words together. After the second, she was barely able to manage a nod. She lived like that for three or four years with her husband who barely knew who she was (severe dementia). They both lived with my wife's sister and large family. My father-in-law is still chugging along at the age of 91, asks the same questions over and over, smiles a lot, seems to be very happy (he loves people) but he tries to eat inedible objects so they have to keep him out of certain rooms, and he pickpockets your coat if you hang it where he can get at it. I don't know if I'd like to be in that situation, but I'm glad for my wife and her sisters and brother that he's still around.
A bad car wreck made me much more appreciative of life (two car/bicycle accidents didn't hurt either :D).
I just thought of that song "Live like you were dying" and the movie "Bucket List". It's a part of life that I don't fear but don't welcome, either.
I, like Lone Wolf, have been blessed.

double d
09-06-2010, 00:00
"Its better to burn out then it is to fad away." Neil Young