PDA

View Full Version : Brief reviews: Jetboil Flash, Packit Gourmet and Starbucks Via

dcmidnight
08-31-2010, 14:54
Got a chance to shake down the new Jetboil Flash again and continue to be impressed with this unit. I know it is a few more ounces than most people are willing to carry but to me the efficiency and ease of use more than makes up for it. I was boiling one cup of water for coffee in under a minute - meant to time it but forgot. As I get older I realize I'm willing to sacrifice a few ounces here and there for convenience sake. While camping with a couple of other MSR users I was done boiling water 3-5 minutes before them. And in the morning while waiting on coffee saving a few minutes is much appreciated.

Also pleasantly surprised with my first test of the Starbucks Via instant coffee. Had a free sample that had been kicking around for a while and really liked it. Convenient packaging and even though I do not drink Starbucks normally (Dunkin Donuts addict) it was very good. Pricewise I'm told they normally run @ 3 servings for $1? If thats the case I would consider this a must have on future trips.

Mealwise, another 5 star trip courtesy of Packit Gourmet. This time out it was the Austintacious Tortilla Soup and the Chicken and Dumplings. Both were fabulous. Not only are their meals fantastic but pricewise - even with shipping factored in - it is cheaper than pretty much any other prepackaged option. I've had great customer service from this company and wont hesitate to buy from them again. Also, the one servings were *more* than enough for me even at the end of a 16 mile day.

Mountain Wildman
08-31-2010, 15:00
I am with you on the stove convenience and Packit Gourmet is awesome, I won't be wasting my money on envelope meals when I can feast for about the same cost. I have not tried the Via but I did try the Maxwell House Singles and it was a better cup of coffee than my GSI Coffee Press or my MSR MugMate made.

chronain
08-31-2010, 15:18
Also pleasantly surprised with my first test of the Starbucks Via instant coffee. Had a free sample that had been kicking around for a while and really liked it. Convenient packaging and even though I do not drink Starbucks normally (Dunkin Donuts addict) it was very good. Pricewise I'm told they normally run @ 3 servings for $1? If thats the case I would consider this a must have on future trips.

starucks via is awesome, as far as instant coffee goes, but it retails for $6-$7 for three servings at most stores...however, i think you might be able to get a deal on larger quantities through amazon or some other online seller...

rasudduth
08-31-2010, 18:19
As of last year Costco in Seattle was selling it in the larger quantities.

dcmidnight
08-31-2010, 19:15
starucks via is awesome, as far as instant coffee goes, but it retails for $6-$7 for three servings at most stores...however, i think you might be able to get a deal on larger quantities through amazon or some other online seller...
Was just in Target tonight, $2.49 for the 3 pack, $7 for the 8 pack. Appears larger quantities are readily available through online outlets like Amazon. Certainly not something I'll drink every day obviously but not an unreasonable price IMO.

SMSP
09-01-2010, 00:48
The Jetboil system is way more efficient on using fuel than the MSR Pocket Rocket. Dont get me wrong, I love my Pocket Rocket, but its fuel usage doesnt compare to Jetboil.

SMSP

Rick500
09-01-2010, 01:13
I like Starbucks VIA too, but try the Nescafe instant packets at least once. They're much less expensive and just about as good as VIA.

IronGutsTommy
09-01-2010, 03:19
when u say your jetboil flash outperformed several MSR users, were they using pocket rockets or reactors?

JaxHiker
09-01-2010, 16:11
I don't care for Via but then again I don't really care for $tarbuck$ in general. I think it's Taster's Choice packets I've been getting at Wally for about $2 for a 8-pack and I like it.

Old Hiker
09-01-2010, 16:47

Mealwise, another 5 star trip courtesy of Packit Gourmet. This time out it was the Austintacious Tortilla Soup and the Chicken and Dumplings. Both were fabulous. Not only are their meals fantastic but pricewise - even with shipping factored in - it is cheaper than pretty much any other prepackaged option. I've had great customer service from this company and wont hesitate to buy from them again. Also, the one servings were *more* than enough for me even at the end of a 16 mile day.

Not trying to get personal, but could you share your height/weight? I'm 6'2"/200 pouinds and the Mountain House ProPaks and regular meals sometimes aren't quite enough. I need a LOT of calories for breakfast and lunch. Supper not so much as I'm usually too tired to care much.

Thanks.

Old Hiker
09-01-2010, 16:49
The Jetboil system is way more efficient on using fuel than the MSR Pocket Rocket. Dont get me wrong, I love my Pocket Rocket, but its fuel usage doesnt compare to Jetboil.

SMSP

Could you give a little more data on relative fuel consumption, please? Also, could you compare the total weight of the systems? Pots, stove, etc. My Rocket is great, but if the Jetboil is better and lighter, I may switch. I've read that it's hard to clean the Jetboil: fact or fiction?

Thanks.

IronGutsTommy
09-01-2010, 17:51
Ive heard that the msr reactor is sturdier and better built than the comparative jetboil, with negligable weight differences. Or is the particular jetboil youre referring to more alike the pocket rocket?

Luddite
09-01-2010, 18:42
I like Starbucks VIA too, but try the Nescafe instant packets at least once. They're much less expensive and just about as good as VIA.

Thats true. They have quite a kick too.

dcmidnight
09-02-2010, 12:49
Not trying to get personal, but could you share your height/weight? I'm 6'2"/200 pouinds and the Mountain House ProPaks and regular meals sometimes aren't quite enough. I need a LOT of calories for breakfast and lunch. Supper not so much as I'm usually too tired to care much.

Thanks.
6'0/175, I usually aim for 3000 calories a day when hiking - which is probably half meals and half snacks on the go.

As far as the weight goes on the Jetboil vs the Pocket Rocket its hard to say exactly. My Flash weighed in at 21oz with the fuel canister. I think the PR alone is only 4oz but then you would need the weight of the fuel as well as the weight of whatever pot you are using to be a fair comparison.

The other thing I like about the JB is ease of storage. Fuel comes off, then everything stores inside the pot with the stabilizers.

Jonnycat
09-02-2010, 13:55
Nescafe "Taster's Choice" single-serve packets. I like a strong tasting cup of coffee in the morning, so I use one regular amd one decaf packet to make one eight ounce cup.

Free Sample (http://smartchoice.tasterschoice.com/#/Try_It_On_Us/)

greginmi
09-02-2010, 13:56
Ive heard that the msr reactor is sturdier and better built than the comparative jetboil, with negligable weight differences. Or is the particular jetboil youre referring to more alike the pocket rocket?

+1 on MSR Reactor

Bit more bulky, but can boil 1 liter of water in the same time as Jetboil can boil 2 cups.

Also, Reactor is great at altitude. No noticeable change in boil times from sea level up to 11,700' in northern New Mexico.

SMSP
09-02-2010, 15:58
Could you give a little more data on relative fuel consumption, please? Also, could you compare the total weight of the systems? Pots, stove, etc. My Rocket is great, but if the Jetboil is better and lighter, I may switch. I've read that it's hard to clean the Jetboil: fact or fiction?

Thanks.

The little experiment that I did was with a Jetboil Personal Cooking System (JB) and a GSI Soloist (GSI). I used the JetBoil JetPower Fuel Canister 3.53 oz/100g on both systems. The actual weight: 6.8 oz (FULL); 3.3oz (MT). I did a 2Cup boil comparison. I used these two systems because it is what I had and wanted to see the difference. I wrote down the times and weight of the fuel canister after each boil. That data is on paper and I have not transferred it to a spreadsheet yet.

Notes on the JB & GSI 2Cup Water Test:
A judgment call on what the “boiling” point was done. I didn’t allow a classic “rolling boil” as a “rolling boil” is not necessary IMO b/c most usage of water in the field is for tea, coffee, Mountain House type meals, grits, oatmeal, etc… But, if a “rolling boil” did occur during testing, which were few, I placed an “*” next to the time. If no “*”, then I called the time based on what I thought when the water was just before a “rolling boil”. Water (cold) from the kitchen sink was used and I did not measure its temperature. I let the pots cool down to room temperature in between burns. Yeah, this took a lot of time. I would boil each in the morning before work and then again after work. On the weekends, I would burn three times a day. So, this process took a week or so to complete.

The fuel canisters weighed 6.8oz full. Each canister was removed and weighed after each test. There is an unknown amount of fuel lost between each time a canister was screwed on/off. The canister was removed each time as this would simulate what one would do in the field. In order to minimize the loss of fuel, I did this process as quickly as possible. When weighing the canisters, I weighed each one three time to ensure consistency with the scale. The scale I used is one for measuring food portions and such. The black cap was left on each fuel canister weighed. No windscreens were used as these test were completed in my garage with no wind.

Jetboil (JB) PCS system:
Weight: 22oz with fuel
Capacity: 32oz to the rim
Usable capacity IMO: 28oz
Manufacturer says don’t boil more then 2cups, but I have heated 32oz just to the point of boiling. And the 28oz can be boiled with no problems.
The JB comes with the main pot, a neoprene sleeve with a handle and a utensil holder, a lid for the main pot, the stove and a bottom cover, which can be used as a cup/boil. The lid can fit on the cup/bowl, but tends to leak a little in my experience.

GSI Soloist system:
Weight: 20oz with fuel and Pocket Rocket stove
Capacity: 40oz to the rim
Usable capacity IMO: 32oz
The GSI packs in an all in one set-up as well. It consists of a main pot with a folding handle, a lid and a cup/bowl with a neoprene sleeve. The lid is reversible. One way it fits the pot, and turn it over and it snaps onto the cup/bowl and it is a secure fit with leaking issues. The lid has a cut out for straining with the pot and it acts as a “sippy” cup on the cup/bowl. There is room for a fuel canister of different sizes. The JB canister and PR both fit inside with no problems. I wrap a 6”x7” piece of camp towel around the PR with a rubber band. Larger fuel canisters can fit, but it leaves no room for the PR. Once everything is pack inside, the system slips into its storage pouch, which can also be used to collect water and as a sink for washing whatever.

The numbers:
Avg. time for JB to bring water just before a “rolling boil”: 2’40”
Avg. time for GSI to bring water just before a “rolling boil”: 2’20”
Avg. # of burns @ 2Cups, JB: 23
Avg. # of burns @ 2Cups, GSI: 12

So based on my little experiment, the Jetboil is more fuel efficient.
As far as packing them, the JB is taller and narrower than the GSI system.
The GSI is shorter and wider than the JB system.

To me, the average number of burns is significant when one is planning longer trips. This means one could feel confident that one fuel canister is sufficient and not have to worry about if they should have brought a second canister, which is an additional 6.8oz when full and 3.8oz when empty.

I did a basic 2Cup boil just to have an equal reference. I usually boil more than 2Cups per meal. I could easily boil 3Cups for breakfast (one cup for grits & two cups for coffee). I could also easily boil 3Cups for dinner (one cup for tea & two cups for a Mountain House meal). Of course, wind and cooler/cold temperatures will likely result in a lower number of average burns.
Would the results have been different if I use an MSR Titan Kettle? Or, a Snow Peak 600 mug? I don’t know. I have both of those pots as well. Maybe when I have nothing better to do, I will do this experiment again with those pots.

Sorry for such a long post, but details were needed to relate how I did this 2Cup water boil comparison. I hope this information was helpful.

SMSP

Doc Mike
09-02-2010, 16:13
wow almost twice as many burns and only 20 seconds slower. I have the jetboil and wish I had kept track of how many meals were made with the canister(i remember the thinking that first canister would last forever.) 23 is probably real close I think it was four 3 day trips at 2 meals for 2 people each day.

Doc Mike

max patch
09-02-2010, 16:25
Got a fee sample of VIA in the Sunday paper; thot it tasted just as crappy as regular Starbucks.

dcmidnight
09-02-2010, 17:10
I'm not necessarily disputing those numbers but I have brought 2 cups to a boil in right around 2 minutes flat each time. 2:40 seems extremely high to me. Maybe there is a difference in the efficiency between the PCS and the Flash but I doubt it is that much if there is one.

SMSP
09-02-2010, 17:44
I didnt have any witnesses and/or videos. I guess any doubters will have their doubts based on their experience. I have never been able to get boils at 2 minutes or less. I didnt mention the process of lighting and getting each burn started. I prefilled the pot with 2Cups of water and placed its lid in place. The next few steps I did as quickly as possible. I would light the stove, place the pot on the stove, then start stop watch. The times I came up with were averages of the times obtained. Does being in South MS with high humidity have a factor? Not sure.

SMSP

dcmidnight
09-02-2010, 18:19
Well that might explain it. To be fair, I dont count "setup time" in the time it takes to boil a pot of water. I count the time from when the flame goes on until the water is boiling - so it sounds like we are both right.

SMSP
09-02-2010, 21:12
Regardless of the times, the main point to my test was seeing which system got more burns per 2Cups of water. The Jetboil is more efficient in that respect.

To answer the question about cleaning the pot on the JB. It's doable. I have large hands and I can reach in there with my mini pack towel peice and/or fingers and clean it just fine. On the other hand, the GSI is wider and shorter and much easier to clean. I would definitely say that the JB pot is NOT DIFFICULT to cleam IMO.

SMSP