PDA

View Full Version : Big enough for a thru?

snowbound
08-31-2010, 15:30
Hey all. I was wondering if any of you have successfully thru-hiked or know someone who has with a ULA Ohm pack. I'm an ultralight backpacker and don't plan on being over 25-30lbs on the trail. I have considered the Circuit as well, and I have a feeling that the extra space of the Circuit would probably be more appreciated than anything else. Just wanted to get some opinions here. Thanks for any help in advance!

Roughin' It
08-31-2010, 15:36
I met a guy this year who was using an Ohm, said everything was working out all right for him. I had a Circuit, pack weighed about 25 lbs., with some room left in the pack, and it worked out well. The Circuit is also very comfortable, moreso than anybody else's pack I tried on.

Danielsen
08-31-2010, 16:20
What pack size do you usually find fits all your gear comfortably? I know my gear has been "shrinking" ever since I started and I've finally found my ideal pack (I hope): somehow, at just 1800 cu. inches, it's big enough for everything I need. When I started, 3500 cu. in. just barely held everything.

Luddite
08-31-2010, 16:37
It depends on what kind of gear you bring.

Lots of ultra-lighters claim the Circuit is too big. The OHM has about 3900ci I think which is plenty. The side pockets are big enough to fit a pot in and the large front pocket can fit raingear.

Luddite
08-31-2010, 16:38
You can E-Mail ULA. They're very helpful and can help you choose a pack based on your hiking style.

BrianLe
08-31-2010, 16:49
Time of year makes a difference.

I started the AT this year with a Gossamer Gear Marioposa plus that already had a lot of miles on it, and got a ULA Circuit part-way into the trip. The Circuit was fine for me for the latter part of the trail; I think it would have been okay at the beginning part too, but I'm not 100% positive for my particular gear mix and time of year --- I started the trail NOBO in late February, so more clothes at that point, heavier and bulkier sleeping bag, etc.

If you think you could be "25 - 30 pounds on the trail", my wild guess is that the Ohm will be a close fit for you and that you *probably* can make it work. My base weight when I was using the Circuit was probably in the mid-teens, so I typically had a little less weight than you're talking about (don't normally need to carry too-o-o much food or water on the AT). The Circuit is significantly heavier than the Ohm, so I see your issue.

If you were just doing more "gentle season" hiking, I think the Ohm would be a no-brainer, but if you're considering a continuous thru-hike then --- depends on how truly "ultralight" you are, and when you plan to start. With a base weight in the teens, I know that I'm not a true ultralight backpacker!

JERMM
08-31-2010, 17:15
Hey all. I was wondering if any of you have successfully thru-hiked or know someone who has with a ULA Ohm pack. I'm an ultralight backpacker and don't plan on being over 25-30lbs on the trail. I have considered the Circuit as well, and I have a feeling that the extra space of the Circuit would probably be more appreciated than anything else. Just wanted to get some opinions here. Thanks for any help in advance!

25-30lbs, doesn't sound ultralight to me

Bags4266
08-31-2010, 17:18
I like the Circuit myself only problem is I haven't seen anyone with one on the trail. Everytime I see a ULA pack its the Catalyst. Need a visual other than online.

JERMM
08-31-2010, 17:24
plenty of Circuits on the AT, I hike with a ULA Conduit plenty of room for winter gear and ULA Amp for all summer long distance hikes

snowbound
08-31-2010, 17:31
thanks for all the responses :) I'm leaning towards the Circuit the more I think about it. Id rather have unused space and not need it rather than trying to cram everything (primarily the bulk winter gear) into the Ohm. Might switch to the Ohm in the warmer months though.

Cakon
08-31-2010, 17:35
I did the whole hike with a circuit. My weight was in the low 20's. It might have been too big most of the time but when I needed extra gear in the begining and again in the Whites it was nice having the space.

Luddite
08-31-2010, 17:56
thanks for all the responses :) I'm leaning towards the Circuit the more I think about it. Id rather have unused space and not need it rather than trying to cram everything (primarily the bulk winter gear) into the Ohm. Might switch to the Ohm in the warmer months though.

Go to youtube and type in ULA OHM and this guy Chug (I think thats his name) made a video showing all his gear. He has an OHM and he can cram a lot of stuff in that pack. I'd give you a link but my computer is acting crazy right now.

sbhikes
08-31-2010, 19:15
A friend of mine hiked the PCT with an Ohm most of the time. I think he had a larger pack for where bear canisters were required. He was the kind of person who would bring 35lbs (I kid you not) of food through some of the longer sections.

flemdawg1
08-31-2010, 19:26
An ohm should be fine for a thru hike, but I wouldn't want to carry 30 lbs in it. I'd aim to get your base weight (everything except food & water) down to about 15lbs though.

peakbagger
09-01-2010, 08:05
I was going to buy an Ohm this winter and after talking to the owner at ULA, he recomended the Circuit as it has a better suspension. I bought the Circuit and am impressed by how well it can be shrunk down as needed. If someone resupplys on a frequent basis and starts later in the year to skip the cold weather, I expect the Ohm is a good option, but with cold weather gear and more than 3 days of food, I suspect it would be tight.

bigcranky
09-01-2010, 15:23
I have an Ohm, and it's a nice pack. Well made and well designed. It's larger than I was expecting based on the stated volume and various online comments. It's plenty large enough for my lightweight gear for three-season hiking. However, it's not quite large enough for my winter bag (a WM Antelope), so I'm not sure I could use if I started really early on a thru-hike. But for a late-March/early April start northbound, I would have plenty of room for my gear and food. I find the Ohm comfortable up to about 30 pounds (I tested this when I carried my wife's food bag this summer when she got sick), then it starts sliding down my back and hanging off my shoulders.

Miner
09-02-2010, 13:25
I hiked the PCT with a ULA Circuit which worked out very well. Most of the time (with my gear), it was too large, but the extra space was welcomed when I had to carry a 10day resupply. The frame can also support 35+ lbs pretty comfortably. I know a guy who hiked the PCT with the Ohm and was happy with it though he was more UL then I went.

For the AT, I think the Ohm would a good pack size for someone who has their gear already whittled down. It will definitely handle 25-30lbs if that is your total weight and probably a few more pounds of temporary overflow on occasions. That is the pack that I recommended to a friend from the PCT for his upcoming AT hike based on his gear. My own plans for the AT is to use my Conduit which is what I normally carry for a 6day trip. I didn't want to use it on the PCT since I had those 30+mile water carries and long resupplies.