PDA

View Full Version : How I tested hammock camping

Cornfed
08-31-2010, 21:38
I wanted to make sure I liked hammock camping before running out and purchasing one. My son and I decided to make hammocks out of bed sheets, like this guy (practical primitive (http://www.practicalprimitive.com/skillofthemonth/hammock.html))

We folded the sheets in half and decided to sleep inside the fold (like the lady in the picture). I slept on top of a foam pad, and sleeping bag. The temp got down to about 50 degrees that night, but I stayed plenty warm. I had to get up in the middle of the night to answer the call of nature, and as soon as I pulled open the sheet, I felt the cold air come in. Being enclosed in the sheet really kept in a lot more warmth that I thought it would.

Anyway, compared to the two nights I tried at the shelters, I didn't have body parts fall asleep on me, and I stayed much warmer than on the ground. It was a good and inexpensive way to test it out.

amac
09-01-2010, 05:54
That looks like a great test. Sounds like you may be a convert. I switched over a couple of years ago. If you're still hesitant on spending serious cash, I suggest the Byer Moskito as a good starter. If you're already convinced that you're a hammocker, then don't waste any time or money and go directly to the Warbonnet. And in case you have found it, check out HammockForums.net.

Great pics, by the way.

griz43
09-30-2010, 09:18
I am attempting to prepare myself and my two 13 yo boys to do a section hike of the AT (Fontana dam to Clingmans Dome). I need help deciding on a tent or hammocks. I am leaning toward the hammock but I need people with experience to give me advice. Propably going next spring.

wirerat123
09-30-2010, 10:35
I see no reason not to go with hammocks. A good nights sleep is worth it.

ken209
09-30-2010, 11:04
I am attempting to prepare myself and my two 13 yo boys to do a section hike of the AT (Fontana dam to Clingmans Dome). I need help deciding on a tent or hammocks. I am leaning toward the hammock but I need people with experience to give me advice. Propably going next spring.
You are suppose to use shelters on the at in the smokies.

perrito
09-30-2010, 11:17
A tarp qualifies as a shelter. :D

SMSP
09-30-2010, 22:21

No rules against hammocks in the shelters on the AT in GSM as far as I know.

But the tent option in GSM has been heavily discussed already, just search it.

Have a great hike!

SMSP

10-03-2010, 21:54
I started experimenting with hammocks this summer, and did a couple of section hikes. it was really nice to not worry about twigs-rocks&roots-etc you should be able to get your feet wet with an inexpensive hammock or jump right in :-) I found the most useful feature in a summer-camping hammock is a built-in mosquito net. it will probably be less crucial in the winter, but it was very handy on the trail this summer

Wise Old Owl
10-03-2010, 21:59
It took a few nights in the backyard to go from uncomfortable sleep ( a Bed) to comfort - No Turning. As u get older .... can't handle change.....